SOMERSET - 5
 
Nettlecombe  North Cadbury  North Curry  North Stoke  Norton Malregard  Nunney  Nynehead  Pendomer Pitminster Porlock  Radstock  St Catherine Stowey  Swainswick  South Petherton  Stogursey
Somerset Pages <Somerset - 1>  <Somerset - 2>  <Somerset - 3>  <Somerset - 4> <Somerset - 6> <Somerset - Wells>
 

Nettlecombe - St Mary

The church open during normal hours - park near the church
There is no village as such: 77 dwellings in the parish, Nettlecombe Court, the manor house, and immediately next to it the parish church. Nettlecome Court is now a Field Centre. O/S Ref: ST 057 378


South - or Ralegh Aisle Nave






Left: A Ralegh (c. 1300) Note heraldry (a bend fusilée) carved on shield
Above: Sir John de Ralegh & Maud (c 1350-60) A large hound - attached to the lady's effigy - lies in between the two figures.

The above effigies lies in very deep tomb recesses in the north wall; these extend out of the main body of the church.



            
Left: Urith, Lady Trevelyan (1697) the first wife of Sir John Trevelyan (1670-1755)

Above:
The inscription around edge reads:'Here lies the body of John Trevelyan Esq. who was buried in the year of our God 1623. His age was 67 years' The face bears the arms and an inscription to his wife Urith (1591) and says they left five sons: John, George, Ames, Christopher & Elcana.

There were also five daughters: Elizabeth, Eulalia, Marie, Johane & Susanna.

Right Top: John Oatway (1798) by King of Bath

Right Bottom:
Joan Alys Wolseley (1943) with bronze Madonna & Child by Ernist Gillick 1945

Newton St Loe - Holy Trinity
Joseph Langton 1701 & parents standing monument
 

North Cadbury
St Michael the Archangel
Church open during normal hours. Park in road outside church
O/S Ref: ST 636 270



Sir William Botreaux (1391) & Elizabeth (1391)
Note the Virgin with two kneeling figures at the foot of tomb chest and painted shields at head. Note also the gablette at the head of the effigies and its base
 

  
   
Sir Francis Hasting (1610); the other 1611. Arms over the tomb chest shown. No effigies but it is said that that of Sir Francis was destroyed by a falling bell! Note the bell rope.





Far left: Wall monuments, mainly to the Bennett family
Next left: Top:
Frances Askew (Pochin)(1789) Wife of a former rector. Bottom: Rifleman Harrington Sebright 8th City of London Regiment. DoW Rouen 1916
Left: Top:
Tho.  Hill (1789) , Rector. Becoming illegible owing to peeling of upper layer of stone. Bottom: Lucy Pricilla Ford (1859), her husband James (1901) His second wife: Merry Margaret (1825)
Above: :Top:
Preseved slab but there is no inscription etc or information. Bottom: Rev William Castlehow BD Rector 1861-1892

North Curry - St Peter & St Paul
Church open normal hours. Park outside the church
O/S Ref: ST 319 256


Far left & left top: Male civilian c. 1316. Thomas atte Sloo inscriped on gown left side, i.e. Thomas of Slough Court
Left bottom:
Cadaver effigy on tomb chest; this was obscured by a heavty chest but has panels with weepers and blank shields.
Above:
John Scott Gould (1846) & Sophia (1841)
 



Ward Family (1770) by Ford
North Stoke - St Martin

Lt Col Alexander (1835) & Catherine Lawrence (1846) Their sons included a Brig Gen, a Mjr Gen, two Lt Gens, a Viceroy of India and two baronettes; the daughter married the Rector


John (1774) & Elizabeth (1769) Ash



Norton Malregard - Holy Trinity
Robert Paine (1720)
Rector
Shute (1766) & Frances (1775) Adam and other family members
 
Nunney - All Saints
Park nearby in the village main road. The 'village square' is privately owned and welcomes you with no parking notices! Church is open
O/S Ref: ST 738 457

 
 
Above top can be seen the present arrangement of the monuments in St Katharine's Chapel (North Transept), where they were transferred in the early 19th century and the fronts of the two tomb chests. The chapel is also occupied by the organ so given little space to take photographs! One effigy now somewhat incongruously lies on the window sill the other two pairs of effigies rest on parts of the original tomb chests (left and right above)
Below left: Richard Prater (1580) and his wife, Margaret (Ashfield) (1628) He bought the manor in 1577.   Above now on the widow sill : Sir John de la Mare (1383), builder of the castle-or-his son Philip, who founded a chantry here in 1394. Below right: Sir John Paulet (1473) & Constance.  Note the arms in relief on his surcoat and the Lancastrian SS collar. Note Constance wears her hair loose.



        


 

Left, Top Left:
Mary Samborne (1690) Widow of Mawdley Samborne. The lettering is enclosed by an arch and there is a coat of arms below. Left, Top Right: Mawdley Samborne Gent (1690) 'sonn of Mawdley Samborne. Similar in style to the above. Left Bottom: Richard Mawdley, John Mawdley, Roger Mawdley &Richard Mawdley Esq. Just one date: 1600

Above from Left to Right:
i) 'Under the Communion-Table are depoſited the Remains of ELIZABETH and JAMES. alſo near the Reading-Desk, thoſe of JAMES WADHAM the beloved Curate of this Parish who was called off...' 1776. 'Sons & Daughter of SAMUEL WHITCHURCH Rector. 2) Edward Flower (1728) 3) Sarah Flower (- - 08) Wife of Edward Flower and daughter of Mawdly Samborn. Below it lists nine of their children but the lettering is badly worn: Mary (- -69), W---- (-----), Sarah (1699), Son still born, Sarah (1700), Wm (1703), Sarah (170[3]), Elizabeth (1705), Wm (1706) 4) Thomas Turner (1837). 5) John Fusseli (1821)' his wife Elizabeth (1807), son John (1783) age 2, their daughter, Elizabeth Wandborough 6) Ruth Hooper (1816) Also six of her children.



Edward Clarke (1697) his wife, Elizabeth (1667) erected during his lifetime; said to have been made at Milverton and cost £25
Nynehead - All Saints
The church is locked but several  telephone numbers are given on the south door to contact if you wish to visit. Heplful staff.The church is in the grounds of Nynehead Court, mainly of 1675, which is now a private residential home. Park in their designated car park and report to reception on arrival.
O/S Ref: ST 138 227

Henrietta Sanford (1837) Angel by Castoli. John Sanford (1835) Bust by Castoli Top: . Richard Wyke (1590) & Margaret ( 1578 at 41) They had 17 children.
Bottom: Said to be a memorial to John Lock the Philosopher. No name
     
Old Cleve - St Andrew
Civilian male c.1425 in a recess; cat & mouse at feet
Over Stowey - St Peter & St Paul
Thomas (1813) & James (1815) Sarcophagus and farming implements
Paulton - Holy Trinity
Kn c.1290;  Kn c.1360
Pendomer - St Roche
Church open during normal hours. Park somewhere in the village.
Pendomer is at the end of a single track and somewhat pot-holed lane, which then terminates. The village now consists only of a few houses and the church; the entrance to the church yard (which is sign posted) appears to be shared by the manor house
 O/S Ref: ST 521 104
The effigy (said to be of Sir John de Dummer, 1268-1320) is of c. 1320 and not in situ but now in the recess in north wall of nave. Note the arms carved in relief on both the shield, which is held by a strap around the left arm, and surcoat. 
Pildon - St John the Baptist
Kn & L late C13 in CY
Picombe - St Leonard
Tabs by Rawlings of Burton & Reeves of Bath

Pitminster - St Andrew & St Mary
Church open during normal hours. Park somewhere in the village. O/S Ref: ST 221 191

 
 
  
John Colles (1627) & Elizabeth (1634)
Note the daughters kneeling against the tomb chest and the babies at Elizabeth's head and feet. John clasps a book in his left hand.
 John Coles (1607) & Anne
Note the three daughters (one holding a skull - indicating she predeceased her parents) and three sons kneeling against the tomb chest. Alabaster
Humphrey Colles (1570)
The inscription states that this monument was formerly in the chancel, over his burial site. Locally called 'Black Humphrey'

The two 17th century monuments are on either side of the chancel; Humphrey's monument is in the westernmost part of the north aisle in a curtained off area, easy to miss. They represent father, son and grandson. The two polychrome monuments were repainted in 1927. There are also several minor wall monuments in the church.

Porlock - St Dubricius

The church open during normal hours
There is some - but limited -  parking in the village, pay and display car parks - moderate cost - one very small near the church - parallel to south wall O/S Ref: SS 887 467


The Harrington Monument
John, 4th Lord Harrington (1418) & Elizabeth Courtney
The tomb is not in its original position. The effigies are of alabaster and date from about 1460. The rest of the structure is of stone.
Lord Harrington accompanied King Henry V on his second expediation to France in 1417 but died there. His will of 1417 directed the institution of a chantry chapel with two priests; this was situated in the south aisle.
Two tomb niches in the south wall of the nave, that to the east being much smaller; there is no monument remaining. Was this perhaps a heart burial? The western niche contains the cross legged knight of the late 13th century as shown. Not in situ: to make it fit the niche the base has been cut and the feet removed; the lion was found and restored in 1888. Local tradition indentifies it as representing Sir Simon Fitz-Roges (1306)
Two tomb chests with quatrefoils: that on the left is in the chancel, that on the right (more worn, originally being in the church yard) in the south porch. No inscription, matrices etc.
Prison - St Luke
Thomas Wats, parson, 1589 over porch
Elizabeth Jenkins 1766    tab by Hoare
? 1744
1790 by King
1798 by lancashire
I have not yet been able to discover the name(s) of the commemorated
Rode - Christ Church
(not St Laurence)
Archdeacon Charles Daubeny 1827
Rodney Stoke
This church has not yet been visited
Radstock - St Nicholas

Anna Maria James (1818) & her three children

not legible
St Catherine

William Blanchard  (1631) & Wife

Stowey
St Nicholas & St Mary

William Jones (1748) by T Paty

Swainswick
St Mary

Catherine Winsloe (1802) by T King of Bath

Ruishton - St George
John Arundell 1784 by Jones, Dunn & Drewett of Bristol

Sampford Arundel - Holy Cross
Christopher Baler 1729 Tab
Sampford Brett -St George
Kn l.C13 crossed legs in vestry
 Seavington St Michael - St Micheal
Civ M l.C13
Selworthy - All Saints
TC Perp no effigies
C B  1837  & C R 1828 Dyke Acland by Chantrey. Identical pair wirh portrait medallions
William Blackford 1730 wall monument Attrib to W Palmer (Esdaile)
Shapwick - St Mary
Jane Bull 1657 wall monument
Henry Bull 1691 wall monument
Somerton - St Michael
J T Hall 1812 by Physick of London
John Pinney 1818
Shepton Mallet - St Peter & St Paul
Kn X-legs l.C13
Kn X-leg 1.C13
Tabs by Paty and Wood of Bristol and King and Reeves of Bath
In Tower:
Edward Barnard 1641 Bust
William Strode 1649 Brass with family
Jane Bernard 1658
Joan Strode 1679
 

South Petherton - St Peter & St Paul

Church open during normal hours. Park in the free car park a short distance from the church. O/S Ref: ST 433 169


William Aske (1657) with kneeling mother, Elizabeth & sister, Hannah. Behind in a frontal position are two children: James Ayshe and John Sandys
Note: this monument is in the North Transept and, although Pevsner says that it is in a vestry, it is separated from the nave only by a curtain and so readily accessible
Henry Compton (1603) & Wife oddly distorted figures and chopped off canopy (South Transept) Military Effigy with some unusual features: the effigy has straight, not crossed, legs; the arms are carved in relief on the shield; the 'gambeson' (quilted garment under the mail shirt) is visible at the neck and the mail hood is thrown back, the lower front part falling forward and its laces are shown. Said locally to be Sir Philip de Albini (1294)
(South Transept)



Above & Right:  Sir Giles Daubeney (1445) & Joan d'Arch.  Brasses on tomb chest with Purbeck marble slab.

Far Right:
Mary Daubeney (1442) Floor brass. She was Sir Giles's 2nd wife.


At Petherton Bridge - halfway between Ilminster and Ilderton - build in are the upper halves of Civ M & L


Spaxton - St Margaret
Kn & L c.1460 TC
Stocklinch - St Mary Magdelene
L c.1280-90
Stogumber - St Mary
Elizabeth Windham 1585 in (but not in situ) recess N. Aisle
Sir George Sydenham 1597 with two Wives
William 1723 & George 1724 Musgrave
Thomas Rich 1731
George Musgrave 1742
Stanton Drew - St Mary
Cornelius Lyde 1717 Signed Michael Sidnell
Lyde Family by Michael Sidnell
Others: 1778 by W Paty; 1791-1809 by James & Co
Stanton Prior - St Lawrence
Thomas Coc 1650 Large hanging monument with figures
 

Stogursey - St Andrew

Church open during normal hours. Park outside the church. All the monuments shown are in the Verney Chapel; there are other minor monuments elsewhere in the church. O/S Ref: ST 205 429


Above: Nathaniel (1717) & Francisca Palmer (1712)
Right Top Row on Left: Peregrine Palmer (1684), father of the above children.

Right Top Row on RightSir ThomasWroth (1721); below  this (not visible) to Thomas (1734) & Elizabeth Palmer (néeWroth) (1737)
   
 
 
     
John de Verney (1472) His full length effigy is shown above  William de Verney (1333) His full length effigy is shown above

<Top of Page>  <Somerset - 1>  <Somerset - 2>  <Somerset - 3>  <Somerset - 4> <Somerset - 6> <Somerset - Wells> <Home - Gazetteer - Index Page>