SOMERSET - 4
Wells Cathedral
Wells Cathedral - or, more properly, The Cathedral Church of St Andrew, is a Cathedral of the Old Foundation meaning that at the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries it was presided over by a Dean and Secular Canons, that is, priests who did not follow a monastic rule. The see was founded in 909, moved to Bath in 1090 and to Bath and Wells in 1218.
There is no entrance fee but voluntary contributions are welcome;  there is a charge for photography. There is limited time street parking but better to park in a pay and display car park near the cathedral; cost is relatively high
 
North-East Transept  South-East Transept  South-East Transept  South Chancel Aisle  North Chancel Aisle  North Transept  South Transept  Cloisters

Somerset Pages: <Somerset 1A>  <Somerset 1B>  <Somerset 2A>  <Somerset 2B>  <Somerset 3>
 
North-East Transept - Corpus Christi Chapel


Above: Bishop Creyghton (1672)  Alabaster
Right Top: Dean Godelee (1333)
Right Bottom
: John Milton (1337)
South-East Transept
St Katherine's Chapel  St John the Baptist's Chapel
Top Row: Bishop Drokensford (1309-1329)
Bottom Row, Left to Right: Dean John Gunthorpe (1498)The arms to the left are of the Cathedral; Humphrey Willin (1618)
Brass plate fixed to W Wall. By Robert Hadock Leaning figure with inscriptions
Bishop Bitton (1264) or Canon John Martel (1343)
South Chancel Aisle
The  Saxon Bishops of Wells shown below (East to West) were all made retrospectively 1220-30. They differ in detail rather than style. The Easternmost (left) is said to be a little later. One is not named and those without dates are not listed in The Handbook of British Chronology.
There is also a fine incised slab to Bishop Bitton II (1274) but as this is under glass I have not been able to photograph it at all satisfactorily. This is said to be the earliest incised slab in England.
Bishop Dudico (1033-1060) Unnamed Saxon Bishop
Bishop Eilwinus (997-999) Bishop Burwoldus



Bishop Lord Arthur Hervey (1894)
He rests his feet on a
snow leopard: the crest from his arms. Signed by Tho Brock RA Sculp London 1897


Above & Left Top: Bishop Bekynton (1443 - 1465)  15th century original iron railings protect this effigy/cadaver type tomb, which was built 15 years before his death. Original colour.

Left Bottom: Bishop John Harewell (1386) Alabaster. Carved are two hares and ribbons of water - a rebus on his name.

North Chancel Aisle
More Anglo-Saxon bishops in the retrospective series (East to West) The easternmost one (left) is one of the later (c 1250), the other two part of the earlier series. Note the later ones have low mitres and rest their heads on pillows with no canopy
Giso of Lorraine (1061-1088)   Levericus
Sigar (975-996)
Bishop Berkeley (1581)
Tomb chest with shields - no effigy or brass indent. Inscription
Bishop Ralph of Shrewsbury (1363)
He established the College of Vicars. Alabaster
North Transept
East Aisle Nave
Bishop Cornish (1513)
Brass inscription. Matrix of
 brass figure on back
Bishop John Still (1543- 1607)
Alabaster. He was the unlikely
 author of a drinking song!
Bishop Kidder (1703)
The figure is that of his daughterr
Bishop Nicholas Bubwith
(1407-1424)
Treasurer Hugh Sugar (1489)
Chantry Chapels without tomb chests ot effigies
South Transept
South-East or St Martin's Chapel and North-East or St Calixtus's Chapel




Left and Above Top William Byconyll (1448) Inscription  (South-East Chapel)

Right and Above Bottom:Dean Hussee (1302-5) or Precentor Thomas Boleyn (1470)
Alabaster c. 1400. Stone canopy.  Very fine sculpture on the tc: on the east, the Annunciation; on the west The Trinity (North-East Chapel)
Above: Countess de Lisle (1406) brass plate afixed to the chantry altar to record her burial here.

Right and Far Right: Bishop William de Marchia (1302)  To the right is a separate chantry altar

The Cloisters
There are many ledger stones and brass matrices (and a few later brasses) but very few wall monuments in the main parts of the Cathedral. These latter are all now sited in the cloisters: the west arm of which is now a shop and restaurant (not entirely respectful, perhaps), the south arm inaccessible when I visited but the east arm is accessible though the garth. Below are a few examples:   
Abigail Guilford (1726), daughter Rebecca (1716) & brother Charles (1707)  John Berkeley Burland (1804)
By John Bacon Jn
John Philips (1834)
By Chantry, 1837
  George Hooper (1727)
By Samuel Tuffnel of Westminster


   <Top of Page>  <Somerset 1A>  <Somerset 1B>   <Somerset 2A>   <Somerset 3>   <Somerset - Wells>  <Home - Index - Page>