SOMERSET - 2
Downside Abbey  Dunster Farleigh Hungerford Farrington Gurney Freshford Glastonbury  High Littleton Goathurst  Hinton Charterhouse  Hinton St.George  Keynsham Langridge Litton Long Ashton Martock 
 Montacute
Nettlecombe  North Cadbury North Curry  North Stoke Norton Malregard

Somerset Pages <1> <3> <Somerset-Wells>
 
Ditcheat - St Mary Magdelene
Effigy of Priest eC14
Day monument signed Ford of Bath
Dowlish Wake - St Andrew
Lady c 1300
John Speake (1442) & Wife tc with effigies
George Speake (1528) brass
John Henning Speake (1864) bust
Downside Abbey

This is a working Benedictine community which was re-established in England in 1795. The present buildings were begun in 1872.
These are the modern monuments of the abbots, all in a medieval style. Unfortunately I have been unable to name many of them. 

Left:
Cardinal Gasquet (1929) Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and carved by E. Carter
Abbot Ford  Abbot Ramsay (1929) by Scott  
Dunster - St George
Church open during normal hours. There is limited parking in the town; otherwise a relatively expensive pay and display car park a five to ten minute somewhat difficult walk to the church. O/S Ref: SS 991 437
Chancel
  

Left Column: Lady c 1300
Right Column: Sir Hugh Luttrell (1428) & Wife
Alabaster. The Luttrells came into possession of Dunster Castle  in 1376
 
Nave South Transept




Above: Adam de Cheddar (c 1350) . Coffin lid with incised foliated cross. Not in situ.

Left:
John Wyther (1487) & Wife
(brasses on floor at western most part of south aisle of the nave) 
South Chapel

Above: Lady Elizabeth Luttrell (1493). Incised alabaster slab.

Right: Mrs Ann Luttrell (1731). 
By M Sidnell of Bristol (signed)

Below:
Thomas Luttrell (1571) & Wife and George Luttrell (1629) & Wife (1613). This monument was set up by George (the kneeling figure) after the death of his wife


East Brent - St Mary
2x priests mid 14th C
Reed children 1869 signed Casentini & Co
East Coker - St Michael
Lady E 14th C
Male Civilian  M 14th C
East Harptree - St Laurence
Sir John Newton 1568 TC with recumbent effigy (now south porch)
Easton-in-Gordano - St George
Roger Soudon 1703 portrait bust
East Pennard - All Saints
G Martin (1789) by King of Bath
E Berkeley Napier (1799) by same
East Quantoxhead - St Mary
Hugh Kuttrell (1522) TC, canopy

Farleigh Hungerford
Castle Chapel (St Leonard's Chapel)

The castle & its chapel are under the care of English Heritage. For the entrance fee and the hours of opening - which vary according to the time of the year - visit:
www.english-heritage.org.uk/farleighhungerford
Car park and photography are included in the entrance fee.   O/S Ref: ST 801 577

   


Above Centre:
Overall view of the St Leonard's Chapel. The incised slab to the chantry priest can be seen, railed, in the foreground. Behind this is the font and some of the tombs can be made out in the background as well as a wall painting. An arch to your left leads into an adjoiningSt. Anne's Chapel.

To the Left and Right: Sir Thomas Hungerford (1398) & Joan He was the founder of the castle.

Below Left to Right: Sir Walter Hungerford IV (1596) Chancel: this and the tomb chest on the far right are similar but not identical; Mary Shaa (1613)
The slab is plain: she kneels with her family at the front. Sister of Sir Walter IV & Sir Edward  II;  Sir Edward Hungerford  II (1607) Chapel . Both this and that of Sir Walter  have deeply incised inscriptions on the top slab




               
Above Top Row Left & Right and Bottom Row Right: Sir Edward Hungerford III (1648) &  & Margaret (Hallyday (1672) See below

Top Row Centre:
Incised slab to a chantry priest c 1500 Very worn but the head and shouldes can just be made out below the shadow of the top cross bar.

Bottom Row Left:
Curiosity: Lead Coffins in the Crypt.
 
Lead coffins were in use from about 1500-1650, some of which were anthropomorphic in shape. They were originally contained in an outer wooden cases, which have now decayed. Some of these coffins have the face of the deceased moulded onto them; sometimes this moulding may be actually taken from a death mask but it is unlikely that this was the case at Farleigh Hungerford.There are eight such coffins at Farleigh Hungerford: four adult males, two adult females and two children. Four of these have faces moulded on them. The coffins contain the remains of the following, among others:

Sir Edward III & Margaret (Hallyday)
Jane Hele (1664), wife of Sir Edward IV
Edward (1689), their son
Alathea, his wife
Sir Edward Hungerford III
Sir Edward Hungerford was elected to both the short and long parliaments and joined the parliamentary side when the civil war broke out in 1642. He fought under Sir William Waller at the battles of Lansdown and Roundway Down; he was also present at the siege of Wardour Castle. He attacked Farleigh Castle which was commanded by Colonel John Hungerford, possible his half brother, and which surrendered in 1645; according to the rules of warfare he took possession and remained there where he died in 1648.

Farleigh Hungerford - St Leonard Parish Church

I made an unplanned visit to the parish church of Farleigh Hungerford when I visited the castle. Unfortunately it was firmly locked and there was no indication on the notice board on the entrance to the church yard nor one  on the actual church notice board from whom to obtain the key. Not a good practice.
The monuments are:
1. Dorothea Torriano Houlton (1799) & John Houlton (1839) 2. Mrs Shirley (1828) & 3. Lady Wilson (1864)


Farrington Gurney - St John the Baptist

A  collection of wall monuments to the Mogg Family; all from the 19th century except the first which dates from the 18th and predates the church

Fivehead - St Martin
Jane Seymour (wife of Lord Edward Seymour) brass 1565
Foxcote -Sr James
Robert Smith 1714 Standing monument
Rev Robert Smith 1769 obelisk
Frome - St John
Cadaver ?
Lucy Georgina 1827 & Louisa Boyle 1826 by Westmacott
Isabella Henrietta Boyle 1843 by Westmacott Jnr
Richard Stevens 1796 by Thomas Cooke
George Lucke 1735 by T Paty of Bristol
Bp Ken 1711 with canopy by Ferry 1844
Freshford - St Peter

William Edward Chapman (1914) Rector for 23 years

High Littleton
Holy Trinity

Robert (1656) & Millisent ( 1664) Langford & members of their family until 1883

Frome - St John    
Glastonbury
St John's Church is open during daylight hours. The Abbey is in ruins and under the care of English Heritage.There is an entrance fee but the Abbey is well cared for and organised; the excavated artifacts are now housed in a museum, where there is plenty of information about the Abbey. The museum is conveniently situated  next to the entrance hall.
There is a pay and display car park convenient for Church and Abbey. Relatively expensive.
Left: the abbey church from the cloisters. Right: the abbot's kitchen and ruins of living quarters.

St John's Church
The church was closed for repairs when we visited; it is normally open

Richard (1476) & Jane (1485) Atwell 2 tc's brasses lost
John Camell 1470 alabaster effigy
TC open lid
The Abbey
   The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle states (1016) 'King Edmund [Ironside] passed away and is buried with his grandfather Edgar in Glastonbury'. Florence of Worcester states (946) 'Eadmund [Edmund I] ... was killed...his body was carried to Glastonbury and buried...'. (975) '...King Eadgar [Edgar] ... departed this life on Thursday ... . His body was carried to Glastonbury and buried there... ' (1016) ' King Eadmund  Ironside died at London and was buried at Glastonbury by the side of his grandfather, King Eadgar'. However see the Winchester page for the burial place of Edmund Ironside. William of Malmesbury states 'By common consent, then,  it was determined that his [i.e. Edmund I] body should be brought to Glastonbury, and there magnificently buried, in northern part of the tower'. 'he [Edgar] ... was buried at Glastonbury.' ' 1052 ... his royal remains were placed above the altar in a shrine'. 'he [Edmund Ironside] was buried at Glastonbury near his grandfather Edgar'. (History of the Kings before the Norman Conquest) He reinforces this is his Antiquities of Glastonbury by stating (although somewhat ambiguously) that Edmund I was buried below the tower to the right and Edmund Ironside was buried in front of the altar. He further states that Edgar was at first buried in a 'pillar' before the entrance to the church but was later translated to a shrine above the altar.

   John Leland in his Itinerary, describing his journey in the time of Henry VIII, states that Edmund 'Senior's' tomb was in the north part of the presbytery and Edmund Ironside's on its south side. He does not describe these monuments nor detail any epitaph. However he does give the epitaph on the tomb of the legendary King Arthur which he states is in the centre of the presbytery. King Arthur's body (or rather a body reputed to be his) was exhumed from the cemetery and reburied in the church in the time of Edward I. Leland refers to Abbot Bere building the Edgar Chapel to the east of the church; this was to house the tomb of the highly regarded King  Edgar in a most important position.

   None of these monuments remains. It is interesting to note that the site of Arthur's tomb has been marked in modern times but those of the early English kings who actually existed have not!  


Above: An abbot: note this mitre. This was the effigy originally on display.

Right: Abbot Michael of Amesbury (1236-52)
In 1291 Adam of Damerham recorded that the tomb of Abbot Michael and that of Abbot Pederton lay before the altar on St Thomas in the north transept. John Leyland confirmed this when he visited the abbey in the 1530's




Fragment of an effigy of a priest.


Fragment of an effigy
Above left and right: Two graves markers. That on the right of J.A.D.

Near right: Above is a part of a hand, probably from an effigy and below this mail from a limb.
King Arthur


Left:
Site of King Arthur's tomb. Whether the existence of King Arthur or the finding of his body by the monks of Glastonbury to be believed, this was clearly a money spinner for the Abbey.

There is still (2019) no marker or any mention in the Abbey of the burial of the three Anglo-Saxon kings mentioned above.

In the guide book there is now a reference to these kings as well as a speculative drawing of the presbytery of the Abbey and the two kings' relatively simple floor monuments on either side of King Arthur's shrine as described in the early records

Abbots - Mitred or Not

   The abbot was (and is) the head of an abbey (larger monastery): the head monk. The word comes from the Latin - abbas (father) - and gives some ideas of his initial role. Until the end of the 7th century neither the monks nor even the abbot were ordained. They were therefore compelled to attend the nearby church in order to receive the sacraments from an ordained priest. This could have been a great inconvenience if the abbey was in a remote area so that some monks began to be ordained as deacons or priests. This move was resisted in some quarters as ecclesiastical dignity was deemed to be inconsistent with simple monastic life.

   The abbot was originally subject to the jurisdiction of the local bishop until the 11th century but then religious houses became partly or completely exempt from this episcopal control; this was mainly a result of the exorbitant claims of the bishops rather than arrogance of the abbots. Thus certain abbots became responsible to the Pope alone. This however created a state within a state and all the attendant problems. Some abbots - known as mitred abbots -  had the right to wear episcopal insignia, such as wearing the mitre, rings, gloves and sandals and carrying a crosier. The right was given by the Pope and the first known bull (papal charter) to confirm this was in 1063 which allowed Egelsway, Abbot of St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury this privilege. As can be seen in the photograph of one of the effigies this right was also conferred on the abbot of Glastonbury but there were a number of others ⁻¹. As might be expected there was an order of precedence with Glastonbury being number one until 1154 when Pope Adrian IV - Nicholas Breakspear, the only English Pope -  made St Alban's, where he had been reared - number one. The next in order was Ramsey.

  To distinguish an abbot's mitre from that of a bishop, the former were to be made of less costly material and there was to be no gold ornamentation; however this was soon entirely ignored. The crook the abbot's staff was of a different design to that of a bishop's to indicate the former's more limited jurisdiction. The adoption of bishops' insignia was followed by encroachment on episcopal functions so that by 1489 abbots were permitted to ordain men up to the order of deacon.

   If there occurred a vacancy in the abbot's office the monks had a right to elect from their own members the new abbot but it was in the power of the local bishop to confirm the election and deliver the benediction. If the abbey were exempt from the bishop's jurisdiction the abbot elect had to travel to Rome to receive confirmation and the benediction,  an expensive procedure which was borne by the abbey itself. The candidate for the position of abbot had to be at least thirty years of age, legitimate and had been a monk at the particular abbey for at least ten years.

   Initially the abbot was, in a sense, first among equals, eating in the monks' refectory and sleeping in the monks' dormitory. The Rule of St Benedict allowed a separate table for the abbot to entertain guests and visitors so by the tenth century steadily the initial ideal of monastic life declined. As can be seen at Glastonbury the abbot eventually had his own kitchen and living quarters. Abbots originally wore the simple monks' habit but eventually began to wear more extravagant clothing and even secular dress. Finally they began to live the lifestyle of a great lord, spending time hunting and other pursuits of the upper classes, except, nominally at least, they were celibate. Nominally, because later abbots would employ staff including female housekeepers.

   If your surname happens to be Abbot, you are unlikely to be descended from a wayward abbot but rather from an abbot's servant or member of lay staff.


   ⁻¹ In England these were, in alphabetical order: Abingdon, St Alban's, Barney, Battle, Bury St Edmund's, Colchester, Croyland, Evesham, Gloucester, St Benet's Hume, Hyde (Winchester), Malmesbury, Peterborough, Ramsey, Reading, Selby, Shrewsbury, Tavistock, Thorney, Westminster, Winchcome, and St Mary's, York.



Goathurst - St Edward

Church open normal hours. Park in the village; the church is at the end of the village  O/S Ref: ST 256 344
Above Left: Milborne Kemeys Tynte Esq (1845) Lt 47 Royal Irish Reg of Dragoon of Guards. Died in riding accident
Above Right: Rev Sir John Tynte (1742) Rector 1731-1740 By J M Rysbrack
Near Right: Sir Charles Kemys Tynte MP (1785)
Younger brother of Sir John By Nollekens.
Far Right:
Sir Hugh Halswell Tynte & Other Members of His Family (1650). Latin inscription. Note the allegorical flanking figures of Faith & Hope; above are two cheubs, one with hour glass, the other with skull.
   
Above Top and Above Bottom Left:  Sir Nicholas (1633) & Bridget (1627) Halswell.  Around the tomb chest keel 6 sons and 3 daughters; as only two side are used for this purpose we may assume that the tomb is in its original position tight against the wall. He was MP for Bridgewater and JP; .in the latter role he imprisoned in 1603 'one John Gilbert, alias Gogulmere, a fanatical minister,  for having...attempted to preach naked in...North Petherton'
Above Bottom Right: Isabella Anne Kemeys Tynte (1835) She died aged 3. Marble by Raffaeli Monti

Hawkridge - St Giles
Coffin C13. from St Nicholas's Priory Exeter
Heathfield - St John the Baptist
Elizabethan 2 kneeling figures
Henstridge - St Nicholas
Wm Carent 1613 & Wife TC
Hardington - St Mary
Col Warwick Bampfield 1692 Standing wall monument
   
 

Hinton Charterhouse

St John the Baptist

John (1668) & Margaret Shutt

 Top: Samuel Day (1806)
Bottom: Sarah [Banicer] (1770)

Top: not legible
Bottom: George Clerke Symonds (18[36])

Samuel Skurray Day
(1816)

TopWalter Robinson (1737)
Bottom: Robert Painter (17[56])

John Painter (1809) by W Brewer

 
Hinton St George - St George
Church open during normal hours. Park in the village. Information on the Poulett Family may be initially found here.  O/S Ref: ST 418 127
Chancel


Sir Anthony Poulett (1600) & Catherine (Norris or Norreys)  (1601) & Children
Nave
       



Above Top Left John Thudderle & Wife (late 15th C.)
Above Top Right: John, 4th Earl & Viscount, 8th Baron Poulett (1819)

Above BottomKnight c. 1475 Note the two belts




Above Left: Anne Poulett (1765)
Above Right: Rebecca Poulett (1765)
Far Right Top: Vice-Admiral Hon. George Poulett RN (1854) & his wife Catherine Sophia (1831) & their daughter Augusta Margaret (1836 age 16), & their sons: Captain George A.,  of HM 54th Reg (1850),  Lt Henry Ashton V.  Native Infantry of Bengal (1842) & John Powell (1829 in infancy)
Far Right Bottom:  
Thomas Beagey (1826)
North Aisle










Above: Illegible
Right Top:
The epitaph is in Latin but gives no name; this was presumably on the damaged top section.
Right Bottom
: William H. 6th Earl Poulett (1899)
Above: Emma Sophia (1876) , wife of William, 6th Earl Poulett
Left Top: Abigail Bicknell (1824) She died aged 18
Left Bottom: Catharine Cole (1822)
Poulet Aisle
This aisle contains a number of wall monuments to the Poulett family but was closed off from the body of the church by a locked, low barrier; however it was possible to take photographs over the barrier, although not always from a satisfactory angle. I understand that this aisle is now accessible.



Above:  Bridgett Poulett (1747)

Right Bottom: Vere Earl Poulett (1819) by Sir R. Westmacott


Above: John, 1st Earl Poulett (1744)  By Rysbrack

Left Top Left: I was unable to read the inscription on this monument

Left Top Right:
George Amias Fitzwarrine, 8th & Last Earl Poulett (1973)


Above:  John Vere M. Amias Poulett (1857)
By E. J. Physick of London

Poulett Chapel
This chapel, which contains a number of the most interesting of the Poulett monuments, is entered by a locked door from the Poulett Aisle, itself originally locked, and thus was neither accessible nor visible. There was also a curtained archway at the north aspect of the double tomb in the chancel. The chapel is still locked but the curtain has been replaced by a glass window and the door from the Poulett aisle now has a viewing window so the monuments, which were restored some time after my visit, can now been seen.

John, 1st Baron Poulett (1558-1649) and his son John, 2nd Baron Poulett (1615-1665) A scagliola (see below) monument which, on restoration was found to be the earliest in England. Probably by Baldassare Artima and possibly Iancinto Corsi, Italian scagliola makers, and dated 1667 - 1669.
They were both prominent Royalists, the father having his own cavalry regiment although a terrible soldier. The latter was enoubled by Charles I. The son escaped to Europe during the Commonwealth and returned at the Restoration.
Above & Below: Sir Amyas Poulett II (1588)  Alabaster effigy; the inscription on the tomb chest is in French. He was for a time guardian of Mary, Queen of Scots, who described him as 'one of the most zealous and pitiless men I have ever known'.
Brought here from St Martin-in-the-Fields, London in the 18th century. An almosy identical effigy can be found in Westminster Abbey to William Thynne, 1584.
Scagliola: Italian for 'chips'. Made to resemble stone from a mixture of a plaster variety of gypsum or alabaster chips, glue and natural pigments. The Structure is then painted and polished.
A reference to this monuments was made in the Diary of Grand Prince Cosimo Medici II, Grand Duke of Tuscany and last of the Medici Dukes. Cosimo was on his extended Grand Tour and passed through Hinton in 1669, staying  with Lord Poulett. The diary was written by the Duke's secretary, Lorenzo Magalotti, who explicitly describes the tomb.
Furthermore, the arms on the right of the monument dipicts Poulett impaling Herbert for the marriage of 3rd Lord Poulet to Lady Susan Herbert, daughter of Philip Herbert, 5th Earl of Pembroke. This marriage took place 15th July 1667. So  the monument was erected after the 2nd Lord's death in 1665 between 1667 -9

Left: Sir Amyas Poulett (1537) & Lora (Kellaway) (Second wife) and Right his son Sir Hugh Poulett (1572)  and his wife Phillippa Pollard
An almost identical pair. The tomb chests use old pieces from other monuments. Note the kneeling children

Bernard Hutchins (1733)

Above the lower stages of the monument can be seen a black sarcophagus situated between twin pilasters below a pediment. He was a servant of the Pouletts and was clearly held in hight regard, being buried in the Poulett vault below the chapel.

  
          
Above Left: The north aspect of the monument of  Sir Anthony Poulett (1600) & Catherine.(1601); a photograph of the south aspect, taken from the chancel, is reproduced above. It will be noticed that the tomb is mainly under the arch between the chancel and the chapel and that originally there was just a curtain separating the two parts of the church, so that the bold and insolent could climb through the arch, over the effigies, through the curtain and into the chapel; this can no longer be done as a glass or plastic screen has replaced the curtain although now the chapel can at last be seen.
Above Right: Exposed section of flooring and three inscriptions from the many on the monuments.
 Top Left states that John Lord Poulet married Elizabeth ...'by whom He had Three Sons & VII Daughters'. This refers to the 1st Baron.  Below This the inscription refers to Anne one of the daughters and co-heir of Sir Thomas Brown...'by whom he had two Sons & foure Daughters'. This refers to the 2nd Baron. On the bottom right is an inscription of a message from Elizabeth I, possibly referring to the imprisonment of her cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots.
With thanks to Lynnne Humphries of Humphries and Jones for kindly supplying the photographs of the Poulett chapel and accompanying information, following their restoration of the said chapel.

Hunstspill - St Peter
Kn & L uner arched recess M - L C14
Hutton - St Mary
Thomas Payne, Wife & Children 1523 brasses
John Payne, Wife & Children 1496 brasses

Ilminster - St Mary
Sir Wm Wadham 1452 & Wife TC with brasses
Nicholas Wadham 1618 & Wife TC with brasses Humphrey Walrond 1580 standing wall monument
Ilton - St Peter
L alabaster c.1475
Nicholas Wadham 1508 brass
Kenn - St Paul
Sir Christopher Kenn 1593 Elizabethan type
 

Keynsham
St John the Baptist

Sir Henry Bridges (1587)

Thomas Bridges (date not legible)

Andrew Chocke (1653)

Sir Thomas Bridges (1666)


Margarita Simpson (1792)


Joan Flover (no date)


James Whippie (1787) & Family to 1819


Edward Lynee (1819) by King of Bath


James Bouchier (1753)


George Bridges (1677)


Incised slabs with insciptions and crosses

 
Kingsdon - All Saints
Kn x-legs L C13
Kingston -  St Mary
T
C L C14
Coplestone Warre Bampfylde 1791 Tab signed Greenway of Bristol
Kingston Seymour - All Saints
TC in CY perpendicular
Kittisford - St Nicholas
Richard Bluett 1524 & Wife Brass
Knowle St Giles - St Giles
TC in CY
 


John Francis Cunning
(date not legible)

Langridge - St Mary Magdelen


Ann Cunning (1817)

Lady early 14th century
The brass to Elizabeth Walsche (1441), reported in Pevsner has since been stolen (information 2009)

 
Langford Budville - St Peter
W Barry Wade 1806 by Th King of Bath
 
Litton - St Mary

 

Mary (1732), Cornelius (1746) & Elizabeth (1760) Salvidge

Long Ashton

 
 
Limington - St Mary
Coffins lids with foliated crosses
Kn (x-legs) & L c. 1330
Kn (x-legs) c. 1330
L c. 1330
Low Ham
Sir Edward Hext 1623 & Wife 1633 Recumbent effigies
Sir Ralph Stawell 1689 standing wall monuments
Luccombe - St Mary
TC
e 16C
Wm Harris 1615 Brass
Marksbury - St Peter
3 C17 Tabs
Tab by W Brewer 1782-1836
Marson Bigott - St Leonard
Louisa Boyle 1825 by Westmacott
 
 
Martock - All Saints 
Church open during normal hours. Park in road in village outside the church - watch for yellow lines
O/S Ref: ST 319 256

Well worn early 14th century lady (S wall recess)
Rev Robert Oakman (1845)
16 years curate and vicar here
Edward Dight (1832), his brother John Dight (1847). Eliza Anne Dight (1867) William Cole (illegible) 'eminent Clothier of this place' His daughter Elizabeth (1769 @ 21) & son William (1770 @ 9) Harriot Leighton (1782) Erected by her son Rev Francis Leighton Top: John Edward Wood (1885 @ 6m)
Bottom: William Richards (1835) & his children: Ella (1817 @ 6m), Thomas Henry (1825 @ 13m) & Rosina Jane (1836 @ 16)
John Wood (1766) clerk, his brothers James (1773) & Thomas (1779), both of whom died unmarried. A 3rd brother George (1788) & his daughter Mary Bicknell Wood (1788) & his widow Sarah Wood (1829)
Rev Henry Bennett (1835) and his wife Mary (1833) Edward Ball (1814) & Hannah (Rice)(1804)
and their children: Hannah (1787), Edward (1771), John (1774), Sarah (1793), Margaret (1780 'in infancy'), William (1826), Susannah Stuckey (1835), Grace (1835), Ann Hamlyn (1840), Mary Drewe (1850) & Betty Slade (1851)

Robert Chaffey (1837) & his son Robert (1845) & his wife Mary (Leach) (1852)
signed: G Lewis, Cheltenham

John Goodden (1718) his relict Mary (1762). Their eldest son John (1722) and second daughter Mary (1722)
Also Joseph (1731) & Mary Culliford (1725)
Joseph (1747) & Hannah (1782) Rice
and their 7 children

Middle Chinnock - St Margaret
Priest C14 upper half, under a porch seat
Midsomer Norton - St John the Baptist
John Smith 1829 by Chapman of Frome
Milborne Port - St John the Evangelist
L c.1290
Sir W Medlycott 1835 Tab by H Hopper
Milton Clevedon - St James
Priest c.1328
Sussanah Strangeways 1718 wall monument
Milverton - St Michael
Catherine Spurway signed P Macdowell
Minehead - St Micheal
Lady c.1440 Brass
Priest E 14C
Monksilver - All Saints
TC no effigy, no further info
   
 

Montacute - St Catherine

Church open during normal hours. Park in the village O/S Ref: ST 497 169
All the monuments are in the North Transept
David Phelips (1485) & Wife
Bridget Phelips (1608)


Above & Centre Column: Thomas Phelips (1558) & Elizabeth (1598)


Above: Edward Phelips (1690)

The effigies of David Phelips and his Wife can be seen in the foreground


Moorlynch - St Mary
Lady c.1375
Mudford - St Mary
Wm Whitby (1617) & Wife  Brass

Nettlecombe - St Mary

The church open during normal hours - park near the church
There is no village as such: 77 dwellings in the parish, Nettlecombe Court, the manor house, and immediately next to it the parish church. Nettlecome Court is now a Field Centre. O/S Ref: ST 057 378

An easy church to miss, so best to obtain a 1:50 000 map of the area. Take the B3188 from Elworthy to Monksilver. Go through Monksilver to a hamlet called Woodford. Nettlecombe is signposted there down an unclassified road on the left. There is a left hand bend (do not carry straight on down the track) and then a hill to climb. Don't go too far! Watch out for the cemetery on the right, then immediately turn right along what looks like a private road signposted  to a Field Centre; this is a large sign but below this is a small sign - easily missed - to the church. Mind the steps down from the south door entrance!

South - or Ralegh Aisle Nave






Left: A Ralegh (c. 1300) Note heraldry (a bend fusilée) carved on shield
Above: Sir John de Ralegh & Maud (c 1350-60) A large hound - attached to the lady's effigy - lies in between the two figures.

The above effigies lies in very deep tomb recesses in the north wall; these extend out of the main body of the church.



            
Left: Urith, Lady Trevelyan (1697) the first wife of Sir John Trevelyan (1670-1755)

Above:
The inscription around edge reads:'Here lies the body of John Trevelyan Esq. who was buried in the year of our God 1623. His age was 67 years' The face bears the arms and an inscription to his wife Urith (1591) and says they left five sons: John, George, Ames, Christopher & Elcana.

There were also five daughters: Elizabeth, Eulalia, Marie, Johane & Susanna.

Right Top: John Oatway (1798) by King of Bath

Right Bottom:
Joan Alys Wolseley (1943) with bronze Madonna & Child by Ernist Gillick 1945

Newton St Loe - Holy Trinity
Joseph Langton 1701 & parents standing monument
 

North Cadbury
St Michael the Archangel
Church open during normal hours. Park in road outside church
O/S Ref: ST 636 270


Sir William Botreaux (1391) & Elizabeth (1391)
Note the Virgin with two kneeling figures at the foot of tomb chest and painted shields at head. Note also the gablette at the head of the effigies and its base
 

  
   
Sir Francis Hasting (1610); the other 1611. Arms over the tomb chest shown. No effigies but it is said that that of Sir Francis was destroyed by a falling bell! Note the bell rope.





Far left: Wall monuments, mainly to the Bennett family
Next left: Top:
Frances Askew (Pochin)(1789) Wife of a former rector. Bottom: Rifleman Harrington Sebright 8th City of London Regiment. DoW Rouen 1916
Left: Top:
Tho.  Hill (1789) , Rector. Becoming illegible owing to peeling of upper layer of stone. Bottom: Lucy Pricilla Ford (1859), her husband James (1901) His second wife: Merry Margaret (1825)
Above: :Top:
Preseved slab but there is no inscription etc or information. Bottom: Rev William Castlehow BD Rector 1861-1892

North Curry - St Peter & St Paul
Church open normal hours. Park outside the church
O/S Ref: ST 319 256

Far left & left top: Male civilian c. 1316. Thomas atte Sloo inscriped on gown left side, i.e. Thomas of Slough Court
Left bottom:
Cadaver effigy on tomb chest; this was obscured by a heavty chest but has panels with weepers and blank shields.
Above:
John Scott Gould (1846) & Sophia (1841)
 

Ward Family (1770) by Ford
North Stoke - St Martin
Lt Col Alexander (1835) & Catherine Lawrence (1846) Their sons included a Brig Gen, a Mjr Gen, two Lt Gens, a Viceroy of India and two baronettes; the daughter married the Rector
 

John (1774) & Elizabeth Ash (1769
 
Norton Malregard - Holy Trinity

Robert Paine (1720)
Rector

Shute (1766) & Frances (1775) Adam and other family members

Norton Malreward - Holy Trinity
Male civilian & Lady c. 1325
Coffin lid with foliated crosses
Norton St Philip - St Philip
Male civilian c.1460
   
 
 
 
Somerset Pages <1> <3> <Somerset-4-WellsTop of Page  Home - Index -Page