Sherborne St John  Silchester  Southwick Titchfield Warblington Wickham
<Hampshire - 1>  <Hampshire - Winchester>
Sherbourne St John
St Andrew's Church

Ralph Pexall & Edith (Brocas) c. 1535
The effgies lie on a tomb chest under an arch between choir and north chapel. The tomb chest and the arch are decorated with coats of arms and Renaissance motifs; the initials of the Christian names of the couple are combined together on the arch. At the head of the tomb the shields are carved in relief but the charges are painted, as shown as the first two drawings above; there are no motifs at the feet. At the knight's side the charges are carved but only the ground shows any painting as shown in the next two drawings above; there are no motifs on the lady's side. An inscription is painted around the tomb chest as shown. There is some red painting remaining on the inner side of the knight's gauntlet and the lady's sleeves.
An inscription on a brass in the church is to William Brocas of Beaurepair Esq who die in 1505 and was survived by two daughters: one, Anne, died without issue while the other, Edith, married Ralph Pexall above. He was an official at the court of Henry VIII.

Silchester - St Mary the Virgin
The church is not in the village of Silchester: head for the Roman Town (signposted), east of the village. The church is on the east side of the Roman Town, outside the wall which runs from the south-west to north-east. There is a good car park outside the church, which is open during the day.
O/S Ref: SU 643 624


Effigy of a lady (mid 14th century) There are traces of red colouring on her gown and on the underside of the arch. The effigy is said to be of Margaret (Bluet) de Cousance or her sister Eleanor (Bluet) Baynard,  daughters of the last Bluet lord of the manor; she is generally thought to be the latter. Her outer garment  was once painted red. In the mid 19th century there were remnants of a painting on the back of the recess of showing the lady's soul being carried to Heaven by angels.

Mrs Rebecca Taylor (1767)
She was Rector Paris's sister and house keeper


John Burgess Preston Karslake FSA (1942)
Barrister at Law, Lt Col Berkshire Yeomanry, Deputy Lt County of London, twice mayor of Paddington etc. Framed tablet
John Paris (1742) Rector. There is an obscure Latin line which, when translated reads: 'about whom there is silence unless his works speak.' This refers to his bequest of the bells. James Butler, Viscount Ikerrin (1712)
He died in London at 14, possibly robbed and murdered, and was the orphan grandson of Lord and Lady Blesington, whose family had bought the manor in1704. The verse is by Martial.
The Paice Family.
Only the last lines can be easily read: Abraham Paice (1769)
There is also an entry for George who died at 12 'through an unfortunate blow to the temple by a schoolfellow.'
In the church yard - near south chancel wall - are two coffin lids with sunken busts, both because of their exposure very worn. One has a male head sunk in a quatrefoil and there was probably a cross on the lower part of the lid but this can no longer be made out. The other has two busts - male and female - and a cross on the lower part, both carved in low relief. It is speculated that this may be Ralph Bluet and his wife; he was lord of the manor in 1233 when much of the church was built. The moss and other debrismake these even more difficult to make out.

Southwick - St James

Above: John Whyte (1567) & Wife (1548) Rebuilder of the church. Gothic tomb chest but classical surrounding; the tomb chest may have come from the priory or constructed in earlier style in 1548.
Left:  Edward Wynn (1748) signed James Stubbington of Bishops Waltham
Col William Pakenham, Grenadier Gurards. Kia Inkerman (1854); Cpt Robert Maxwell Pakenham 84th Regiment. Kia Lucknow (1857); Lt Edmund Powerscourt Pakenham (1861) Light infantry; Lt-Col Charles Wellesley Pakenham (1857) Grenadier Guards. Brothers
Richard Field
Tichfield - St Peter

John Hornby (1832), daughter Harriet (1832) & son Nathaniel (1835) Marble by Chantrey 1836 Lady Mary Wriothesley (1615 aged 4) 4th daughter of  Henry, 3rd Earl. Attributed to Epiphanius Evesham. William Chamberlayne (1606) & Wife. Various Wall Monuments
Left:More Wall Monuments

: Monument of Sir Thomas Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl (1551) and Lady Jane (Cheyne), Countess (1574) of Southampton  and their son, Henry Wriothesley  the 2nd Earl (1562), who left money for this monument to be erected. The Countess lies on the top tier and her husband and son lie on either side below. Below are the kneeling figures of the 2nd Earl's children, one of whom, the 3rd Earl became Shakespeare's patron. Marble and alabaster by Gerard Johnson 1594

The cost was £1000 and originally two tombs were planned but eventually only one was contructed. In the vault below are also buried the 3rd, 4th and 5th Earls.

Warblington - St Thomas Becket
The church is some distance from the village of Warblington and on the other side of the A27, so it is unlikely your satnav will find it: it is better to have a 1:50,000 O/S Map of the area; here the church is marked as a circle with cross but the spire is not very evident! . O/S Ref: SU 729 054
Directions from Portsmouth: take the A27 east towards Emsworth, but leave reaching it, turning left on the A259. You will immediately come to a roundabout where you take the 3rd exit and pass under the A27 (still on the A259). On the other side of the A27 you will immediately come to a second roundabout; again take the 3rd exit this time  on a Yellow Road to the church.
The church is open Monday to Thursday, 10.00 to 3.00 pm but it is better to check this at the parish office (see internet). There is a good car park and toilets outside the church. O/S Ref: SU 728 054

Lady under arch in north wall of south chapel. Unusually her arms are by her side and she appears to be facing to one side. When seen from above it appears that there is no attempt to represent a recumbent position and she is clearly shown standing. Despite the badly worn condition this is a particularly beautiful effigy

Male (?) civilian of Purbeck Marble under arch in south wall of south aisle. Note: cloak tucked under right arm (c.f.  King John at Worcester) and on the wall of the niche behind the effigy a sculpture representing soul being carried to heaven by two angels


'Before this monument lyeth buryed the bodye of Raffe Smallpage late chaple to the Righte Honorable the Erle of Southampton Lorde Chauncelor of Englande and parson of this churche' 1558
Thomas Sone (1763), his wife Ann (1750) & their daughter Ann (1755) Age 18 Thomas Sone (1767) & John Lellyett (1800) Sophia Lotherington (Lear) (1805) John Lear (1800)
A grave stone, which looks like it had been set in the earth but is now in the church against the wall. All we have is 'A.S. J753'; then three slabs with foliated crosses set in the church floor.

Other Monuments

Charles Short (1838) Barrister-at-Law, Bencher of Middle Temple; his widow Grace (1868); their 3rd daughter Augusta Millet Short (1825) who was buried in the cloisters of Westminster Abbey. White with Gothick frame.
2. William Norris AM (1827) Rector; his wife Mary Ann (1841) Latin text
3. James Norris (1782) & Anne (1811) White tablet with draped urn above on black background with pointed arch
4 Mary Ann Norris (1795) Daughter of William Norris, Rector and Mary Ann, his wife. Aged 2 years 8 months. White oval on black oval background
5. James Gubbins Archen Burton (1855) Capt. 6th Dragoon Guards, Mjr in the Turkish Contingent. Died at Bujukdere at 30; buried at Beicos opposite Therapia. White scroll on black background with round arched top.
6. Anne Frances Norris (1823) Wife of Rev William Norris, son of Rev William Norris, rector.
7. A brass records that the stained glass windows in the chancel were commissioned by Rev William Norris, rector, in memory of his wife Emily (Short) (1839). Also in memory of their son William Thomas Norris (1836) 'lost in the Australasian Seas' at 26 on board the Wyvern which sailed from Nelson, New Zealand bound for Sydney, Australia and disappeared.
8. Grace Agnes Norris (1830) wife of Rev William Norris, Rector. White tablet with rope surround on black background.
9. Elizabeth Withington (1853) Black and white tablet
10. John William Ronald Campbell (1918) Lt of the 3rd Worcestershires. KIA France
Above clockwise starting  top left:
John Walker, Commander of the Niger, West Indiaman, who in the passage from Shields to Grenada, was wrecked on Hasbro' Sands in the evening of January 2nd 1824 and, with his pilot and the greater part of his crew, perished.
2. John McArthur Esq LL. D (1840) Author of The Practice and Principles of Naval Courts Martial and other literary works.
3. Rev Joshua Stopforth BA (1835); his widow Ann (1840)
4. Alexander Cameron Esq, A captain in the VIth W.I. Regiment died in the Island of Dominica 28th January 1813
Above top: Anthony Palmer (J79J) Again the J for 1
Above bottom: Capt. George Gordon Paine (1918) 2nd Batt. [attached 6th] Royal Berkshire Reg. KIA aged 24. Aveluy Wood, France. Pte James Horace Paine (1917) 1st Batt. Artists Rifle Reg. KIA near Cambrai aged 19.

Helen Elizabeth Fellowes (1875) Granddaughter of Rector William Norris. Age 12. 
Signed: Gaffin & Co, 63 Regent St, London 

Centre Right: William Gilbert Gent (1802); his wife Elizabeth (1784) & their daughter Susanna (1797)

Centre Left Top: Lt Col G D D Cleveland (1878) HM's 98th Regiment; and his wife Agnes (19010

Centre Left Bottom: Edmund Ives Palmer (Ted) Died Lady-Smith, South Africa three days before the relief with 19h Hussars. Age 27. His brother Richard Harold (Peter) KIA France three weeks before the Armistice

Far Right Top: Georgiana Parker Aldham (1830)

Far Right Bottom: William Henry Fry (1917) Lt in 2nd Hampshires and 88th Machine Gun Company. KIA. buried at Duisans, France. Aged 22. Brass

Wickham - St Nicholas 

Sir William Uvedale (1615) & Mary (Norton)(1634) Their children kneel at the lower tier: Mary, Jane & Honor are shown at the left; Catherine faces Richard in the centre; and William, Francis and John, holding a skull kneel behind, showing he died soon after birth.
Charles Wynne (1719) & Mary (1732)  G.A.Thmoas LL D  William Faulkener (1689)  William Uvedale (1569) 
Some Tablets 
Sarah Swann (1857) white on black backing  John Henry Swann Surgeon RN (1840) husband of Sarah. White on black backing 
William Bennet (1806) Corps of Royal Engineers. Black on white backing  William Eric Wynn Douglas-Jone 2nd Lt 33 Battalion Royal Field Artillery. Dow France 1915 aged 19. White black base, military badge 
Frances Isabella Wainwright (1916) & her grandson Cpt John Ballard Berkeley Ford Dow France 1917. He was buried at Dernancourt

  <Top of Page> <Home - Index - Page> <Hampshire - 1>  <Hampshire - Winchester>