Eastrington  Escrick   Etton  Foston-on-the-Wolds  Goxhill   Harpham   Hessle   Hornsea  Howden   Hull  (Kirk Ella)   Lockington  Lodesborough  Lowthorpe
<East Riding 1>    <East Riding 3>
Eastrington - St Michael

Left & right:
Knight & Uncertain: probably parts of two medieval effigies in porch
Cross (13th century)
Fleury, incised and infilled with lead
Brass indents
Two of these
Cross floriated in relief with coa
t of arms
Knight (early 14th century)
Incised slab; very worn.
Ledger stone with border inscription of 1421 and palimpsest inscription to Michael Portington (1696)
Thomas de Portington (1427) & Wife.
Sir John Portintgon (1453) & Ellen Alabaster effigies on stone tomb chest. He was Justice of the Common Bench and is shown with his judge's robes over his armour (rare); she is now headless and is unusually longer than her husband.
Angels hold shields on tomb chest.
Bell Family (1839-55)
Series of five wall tablets by Waudby of York

Escrick - St Helen

Knight (early 14th century) (Shown)
Beilby Thompson (1750)
marble tablet with pilasters and scrolled pediment

Dame Sarah Dawes (1771)
Coloured marble tablet with urn on sarcophagus on obelisk
Beilby Thompson (1799)
Putto leaning on urn with owl by The Fishers
Jane, Lady Lawley (1816)
Kneeling figure in relief with two flanking angels, one with scroll and one with hourglass. By Bertel Thorwaldsen of Rome (although Danish).
Richard Thompson (1820)
Seated Grecian figure by Mathew Cotes Wyatt, c 1834.
Caroline, Lady Wenlock (1868) Marble recumbent sleeping figure by Count Gleichen (Admiral the Prince Victor of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, cousin of Queen Victoria). Erected 1876.
Hon and Rev Stephen Willoughby Lawley (1905)
Tablet by Gill & Christie (ie Eric Gill) 1907
Beilby, 3rd Lord Wenlock (1912)
Tablet with laudatory inscription
Lord Wenlock (1918)
Lord Wenlock (1932)

In churchyard, gravestone to 3rd Lord Wenlock

Foston on the Wold
St Andrew

Goxhill - St Giles

Johanna de Lelley (late 14th century)
Effigy in half relief under canopy. Black letter inscription

Not shown:
Marmaduke Constable (1690)
Ledger stone with lettering, arms and cherub with cornucopia

The 14th century effigy of a civilian has now been moved to Hornsea - see below
Etton - St Mary

Above top: William Wilson (1816)
There is then a list of his charitable bequest in his will. By Rushworth

Above bottom:
Rev John Lothorpp (1653), who was baptized here in 1584 and became pastor at Scituate and Barnstable, Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts 1634-53. He was buried at Barnstable. By Ronald Sims (1981)

From left to right above: 1. Ledger stone which can be seen behind the pews on the right of the interior photographs. The Inscription reads, on the top: Here Lieth Intered ; and then around going around the edges: The Body Of The Worspl (Worshipful) Ald: (Alderman) Towers Wailis / Merchant And Once/ Mayor Of The Town Of Kingston Upon. Now we return to the top below the initial inscription: Huil Who Departed The Life On The 12 Day Of April 1719 In the [59] Year Of His Age. Then below the arms it reads: Also His Daughter Mrs Ann Porter 1760.
2. Bridget Domelow (1680) who married firstly Edward Dickenson of Farnborough, Hampshire, and, secondly Dr Iohn Domelow, rector of Hamelton, Bucks. Also Mary Delgano (1693), wife of Arthur Delgano, Rector. Also Lucy Canon (1694), wife of Thomas Canon, Rector of Church and Chapell of Brampton. Also Elizabeth Delgano (1724), second wife of Arthur Delgano, Rector. Below on a separate tablet, Mr Arthur Delgano (1730) Rector. Below, on a black tablet, is written in Latin in hope of resurrection.
3. Rev Henry Robinson (1761) Rector of Skerrington, Yorkshire.
4. William Kirkby white lead worker, and his wife, Dorothy. Also their daughter, Anne Outram (1771) , wife of Ioſeph Outram, wine merchant.
5. (below the above two) Rev John Dand (1817) Ten weeks curate of this parish. Aged 32
Harpham - St John of Beverley
A Lady (1360-70)
Above left: Sir Thomas de St Quintin (1418) & Wife. Rubbing of part of male figure from the male figure detail from knight/lady brass set under a double canopy. There is a somewhat cropped photograph of this brass to the left. Very fine work.
Above right:
. c.1400. Rubbing of part of incised figures under a canopy from an alabaster tomb chests; the chest itself has quatrefoils flanking a crucifix. A photograph shown below.  Probably set up by the St Quintin Rector of Hornsea and is similar.
Right: Thomas de St Quintin (1445)
, brass rubbing. A photograph to the far right
Mathew Chitty T St Quintin (1876)
Brass by Matthews & Sons of London
The entrance to the St Quintin vault. Built 'by order of' William St Quintin 1827: closed 1887. Mathew Chitty St Quintin (1785) Coloured marble Mary Darby (1773)
by J
Fisher of York
William de St Quintin (1349) & Wife
See above.
All I could get at the time!
Other Monuments
Sir William  St Quintin (1649) Marble wall tablet with Corinthian columns and broken pediment. Signed Enos Coates of Falsgrave, who also restored the monument in 19th C.

John (1746) & Rebecca (1758) St Quintin  Marble wall tablet with draped urn.

William T St Quintin (1805)
Neoclassical wall tablet by Joseph Kendrick of London.
Charlotte St Quintin (1762) large standing angel by urn with double portrait medallion; by Joseph Wilton Sir William St Quintin (1723) marble with sarcophagus and skull, erected 1768  
Hessle - All Saints
Captain Joseph Boulderson (1828)
Of the Honorable East India Company
John Barkworth (1815) and his wife,
 Elizabeth (1838)
William Burstall (1852)
He died on a sea voyage to Melbourne at 18; buried at Port Adelaine
Alexander Smith (1927) and his wife,
Ada  (Walker) (1916). Dated 1971
Hornsea - St Nicholas

Fauconberg (William) of Catfoss, knight, cross legs, c. 1320. Brought from Nunkeeling.  Also side by side: Isabella de Forz, Countess of Aumale (1293) or Amicia, Countess of Devon (1284), the former the mother and the latter the grandmother of Aveline, Countess of Lancaster, whose tomb in Westminster Abbey is similar. (c 1290 )and very fine. Also brought from Nunkeeling.

Mary Cowling (1801)
She died on a Christmas day, aged 19
Other Monuments
George Acklam (1629)
Brass inscription. Also brought from Nunkeeling.

William Day (1616),
Wooden frame with rhyming punning inscription.

Richard Simpson (1785),
Tablet with urn, c. 1800.

Thomas Cowling (1810),  
Tablet with
Top: Anthony St Quintin, rector, (1430). Incised effigy on alabaster tomb chest with shields in quatrefoils, c. 1400 (ie before he died)
Civilian, c. 1330 in cape and hood. Brought from Goxhil
Howden - Howden Minster
The Minster Church of St Peter and St Paul
Howden is a pleasant East Riding town; there is free town limited street parking and several pay and display long term car parks with reasonable charges.
The church is open during normal hours and there is no charge for or restriction on photography.
Howden Minster's foundation dates from Anglo-Saxon times. In 1267 the then Bishop of Durham failed to set up a monastic community at Howden but a collegiate church was established instead. This was dissolved by Edward VI in1550. In 1693 the choir roof collapsed, follwed by that of the chapter house in 1750; the latter was reroofed in 1984. These ruinous parts of the church were taken into the care of English Heritage in 1971
O/S Ref: SE 750 284

Monument of Sir John Metham (1312) and his wife Sybil

The effigies now lie in a mid 14th century recess under a round arch. Above left there can be seen remains of a pointed arch above with canopied niches for statues above this. The longer shot on the right shows that above this can be seen fragments of an earlier pointed arch.
Unfortunately this monument is rather crowded by woodwork. The sculpture in front of the monument and to the left will be explained below

Above and left: Details of the effigies

Monument of Sir Elouard Saltmarsh (1300)

Effigy and tomb chest from several aspects.
It is said that the effigies of the couple above originally stood on this tomb chest

William I'Anson's drawing of the effigy from above.

A Brass, Two Indents, A Coffin Lid, and A Contrast
Left in order:
1. A knight of 1485
2. An indent: A couple kneeling, shields, inscriptions
3. A canon with inscription and shields
4. Walter Kirkham (1260) cross on coffin lid
5. (above) The First Meeting: a modern sculpture by Byron Howard of Doncaster. Of jesmonite and marble. This is based his experience of the birth of his daughter and was commissioned by the Minster as a contrast to the surrounding images of death. This sculpture can be seen in several photographs taken in the chapel.

Not recorded: 1. Cross slab with arched base and female figure. 2. Johnnes Coles (1467) with missal and chalice. Incised slab. 3. John Saltmarshe (1533) Incised slab; R S Scholfield (1913) Ledger stone

Wall Monuments

Elizabeth Saltmarshe (1854)
Widow of Philip
James Camp (1828) 30 plus years vicar
and his wife, Elizabeth (1819)
Mary Rawson (Dunn) (187) Elizabeth Day (1837) Geo. Brock (1791) 'Gent'

Philip Saltmarshe (1846) Col Arthur Saltmarshe (1909) Philip Saltmarshe (1912). His first wife, Blanche (Davidson) (1880); his second wife Harriet (Hotham?) (1897) Top: John Ch_d (18_8) and his wife, Elle_ (1829)
John Dunn (1744) and his wife, Susannah (1775) They had  sond and 4 daughters
Ann Whittaker (1794) aged 6m, 5d. The daughter of John Whittaker (1823) and his first wife, Ann (1798). Also his second wife, Ann (Horner) (1803) The monument was erected by his third (unamed) wife.

William Hutchinson. 'A zealous parish priest'. Vicar 1862-102
Thomas Whittaker (1852) White tablet with arms on black base
Rev George Cumpstone (1799?), Minister of the Church, and his wife, Ann (1843?) They had 3 sons and 6 daughters. Also their daughter, Judith Sugden (1834) White tablet on gray back.
Ann Spofforth (1824) Tablet with urn
Thomas Carter (1829) Tablet
Catherine Saltmarshe and others (1807-11)

Kingston upon Hull
A fine collection of monuments in a city where initially one would not expect to find them

Hull - Holy Trinity

Other Monuments
Sir William de la Pole (1366) & Katherine ( 1381) , traditional identification of the alabaster effigies of a merchant and wife in canopied niche . (part shown left)
Sir Richard de la Pole (1345)
Uncertain. In canopied niche leading into Broadley Chapel, originally the de la Pole Chantry Chapel. Restored shields suggest a de la Pole. Canopy influenced by Percy Tomb at Beverley; renewed in 1863

Richard Byll (1451) and Wife.
Brass half effigies (civilian) with merchant's mark and black letter inscription
Lady (late 15th century)
Thomas Dalton (1591) and Wives
Incised slab with inlaid shields
Thomas Whincop (1624)
Tablet with bust and flanking black columns, open pediment
Thomas Ferrers (1631)
Angel giving man a drink; bust of the commemorated. By Thomas Earle of London, 1859
John Huntington (1790) Oval tablet by Edmund Foster
Nathaniel Maister (1772)
Medallion with female figure with urn
Rev Thomas Milner (1797)
Wall tablet with figure of Moses by John Bacon Jnr
Thomas Gleadow (1814) Sarcophagus with urn on obelisk
John Appleyard (1860) Kneeling female figure by Thomas Earle of London.
Henry Maister (1812)
Sarcophagus surmounted by a crossed sword and spear framed by gothic arch by John Earle
Joel Foster (1820) Inscription on drapery hanging from canopy surmounted by an urn
Anthony Scales (1824) Sarcophagus, urn and weeping willow
John Alderson (1829) Portrait medallion with two female figures by William Behnes
William Wooley (1837)
Free standing bust on pedestal by W D Keyworth
George Lambert (1838) - Organist tablet with the church organ by John Earle
John Cowham Parker (1841) Gothick marble tablet
John William Grey (1860) Angel with drowned boy and infant by Thomas Earle
John J Matthewson (1863) Tablet with Moses striking the rock for water. Mr Matthewson was responsible for securing Hull's water supply
John Smith (1875) Georgian tablet designed by Ronald Simms and executed by Dick Reid
William Thomson, Archbishop of York (1890) Portrait medallion
Rupert Alec-Smith (1983) Georgian tablet designed by Ronald Simms and executed by Dick Reid
Many 17th to early 18th century black ledger stones with deeply incised arms. Such stones may have been imported, partly cut, from Holland.
John Ramsden (1637) & Wife, Incised slab
Anthony Lambert (1688)  Cartouche with angels' heads and winged skulls
Henry Maister (1699)  Similar to the above
Giliad Goch (1700) Cartouche with angel's head and crest
William Maister (1716) Corinthian pilasters and broken pediment. Attributed to Robert Hartshorne
Mark Kirby (1718) and Daughter Inscription on drapery hanging from a canopy; by Robert Hartshorne
William Skinner (1724) Putti and pediment
Thomas Earl (1876) Two mourning females by urn. by himself

Hull - St Mary

John Harrison (1525), wives, Alys and Agnes and sons, Thomas, John & William. A Wool draper. English Brass but this is an early plate rather than a cut out
Thomas Swan (1630)  & Wife and children. Incised slab inlaid with white composition.
William Dobson (1666) Frontal bust in classical arch, flanked by putti with cartouches of arms, skulls, swags and drops carved with fruit and flowers. Alabaster. Decorative wrought iron work below
Robert Hildyard (1683) Black marble ledger stone with arms
Jonathan Beilby (1711) Cartouche with cherubs' heads
Philip Wilkinson (1716) Cartouche with cherubs' heads, winged skull and lamp
Benjamin Blaydes (1771) Oval tablet
Sir Samuel Standidge (1801) White marble tablet in black frame
Rev John Barker (1816) Wall tablet with sarcophagus surmounted by urn, books and chalice. Attr. John Earle
Rev John Scott (1834) Portrait medallion by  James Loft
John Bannister (1840) Portrait medallion with face covered
Rev John Scott 1865) Incised slab with figure in cassock, surplice and gown

The church yard is paved with slabs removed from the church at restoration of 1861-63 by Sir G G Scott, a cousin of the then vicar John Scott above

Hull - Charterhouse
Charterhouse Lane
This almshouse (and its name) has its origin in the Carthusian Priory established in 1378 by Michael de la Pole which stood on the same site to the north of the walled town of Hull. From the beginning the Priory included a hospital (in the sense of an almshouse) for 13 poor men and 13 poor women. The Priory and the Hospital were separated in 1383 and the following year the Hospital - now to be known as God's House of Hull - was established by charter from de la Pole. The Priory was dissolved during the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the Hospital (then on the south side of the lane) were demolished during the Siege of Hull in the War of the Three Kingdoms (First Civil War)
The Hospital was later rebuilt on the same site and later new buildings add across the lane and a chapel added.
The Hospital was rebuilt in its present form 1778-80 on the site of the original Priory.

Rev John Clarke AM (1768) Master of God's House Hospital for 51 years; His wife, Margaret (1719). 'Their bodies were removed from the old chapel to this place 5th March 1780'

Rev Thomas Dykes LLB (1847). Founder and incumbent of St John's Church, Vicar of North Ferriby, and 14 years Master of this House. Buried at St John's with his wife, Mary (Hey)

William Thomas Dibb (1886)
who founded the west wing in 1885. The brass below tells of his son's,  Oscar Knocker Dibb, legacy to the charity in 1949

Henry William Kemp

Rev J T Lewis MA (1898)
For nearly eleven years Master of the Charterhouse'

Edward James Parkinson MA (1999)
Master of this House
Also Rev George M Carrick (1849) by W D Keyworth

Kirk Ella - St Andrew
Ann Seaman & others. Wall tablet of 1769; frame of Ionic columns with inscription on a drape above which are three oval portrait medallions which hang from stone nails.
Sir Robert Legarde (1721) Tablet
Joseph (1783)  and Mary Corthine (1791) Obelisks with urns
William Sparks (1798) Wall tablet with medallion, seated figure and urn.
Joseph Sykes (1805) He rises out of his coffin amid shattered rocks; below are various allegorical figures and symbols. By Bacon in 1809.
Henry Legards (1819) and William Wilkinson (1823) Tablets with sarcophagi by Appleton Bennison
Joseph Eggington (1830) Tablet by I Waudby of Hull
Richard and Mary Sykes (1831) Gothick tablet
Nicholas Sykes (1832) and others; Gothick tablet by Earle
Joseph Sykes (1857) Portrait medallion and ship in distress by W D Keyworth
Outside on wall part of 13th century cross slab. Many 19th century table tombs in the church yard.

Lockington - St Mary

Other Monuments
John (1694) and Francis (1725) Estoft Architectural frame with open and  broken pediment above and skull and cross bones below
Rev Robert Midgely (1775) Urn missing
Rev Francis Lundy (1816) Urn on obelisk
Left: Mary Moyser (1633) .Note the oval insciption in Latin above the effigy, the broken pediment with allegorical figures (Truth, Charity and Justice) and below kneeling figures of her four sons.

Above: Rev Thomas Constable (1786) Gray and white marble with oval inscription plaque. The walls around this monument were painted with 16 shields in 1634; they were restored in 1851 by William Binks for the monument of Rev Thomas Constable

Lodesborough - All Saints

Rev Andrew Ewbank MA (1822) 34 Years Rector
His wife: Jane (1817); their 2nd daughter, Jane Elizabeth (1816)
Above: Richard Over (1600) Brass now on wall. Note skull,  bone, and scallop shell
Below: Lady Margaret Clifford (1493) Brass set in stone
Henry Clifford (1619)
Aged 6 hours
Earl of Burlington and Cork

Possible the First Earl
This is presumably an earlier plate which was replaced by the one on the right at some time Rt Hon Charles Boyle PC, 2nd Earle of Burlington & 3rd Corke, Baron Clifford of Londesburgh, Baron of Younghall & Brandon, Viscount Kynalmeaky & Dungarvan. (1703) Lord High Treasurer of Ireland Rt Hon Henry Boyle, Baron of Carleton in the County of York (1724/5) Rt Hon Richard Boyle KG, PC, 3rd Earl of Burlington & 4th Corke (1753)
The above are not brasses in the strict sense of the word but rather coffin plates, affixed to the wall of the Lady Chapel. The family is buried in a vault below the Chapel where the entrance via a slab with lifting rings may be seen. The plates were removed from the coffins in 1906 and fixed to the wall to act as memorial brasses as there were no memorials to indicate who was buried in the vault.
Right: Grisold Countess of Cumberland (1613) This consists of a black marble slab on four 'bulbous white jars' (Pevsner). By Nicholas Stone ((1632) The photograph only shows the lid from above.

Above: The coffin plates affixed to the wall of the Lady Chapel, not all of which have been separately recorded.
Also: Purbeck marble slab with brass cross in relief; 13th century

Lowthorpe - St Martin
Church is unlocked. Drive from the main road up the church drive to the car park. O/S Ref: TA 079 609
There is no pub in the village so drive to the nearby village of Harpham and visit the St Quentin Arms on the main road. A good menu of well cooked pub grub and excellently pulled pints. Closed Mondays

Above and right: Sir John de Haslerton (c 1333), A couple covered by a sheet which, in turn, in covered by a tree with branches from which grow the heads of thirteen children; the top of the tree, from which shields hang, is at the base of the monument. A wonderful curiosity.
Two 18th century tombstones now set in wall:
'Here lyeth the Body of Robert son of Robert and Iane Newton'...'17__ 'first year of his age'. 'Also the Body of William son of Robert and Iane Newton' 1739 'In the 7th year of His age'
'Here lieth  the Body of Mr Rob[ert Newton] who departed this Life in the _ Year of his Age.'
Added below:
Here lyeth the Body of Mrs Iane [Newton] Wife of Mr Robert Newon died October __'
Other Monuments
Frederick Kirk Hawes (1946) Stone tablet; small oak leaves and acorns in corners
Sir Thomas Haslerton (c 1364) Top portion of brass matrix
John Pierson (1665) Tomb chest with brass with arms & inscription

George Salvayn (1417), brass. The indent is in the chancel and includes also that of a lady Rev Jonathan Ion (1808)
Minister of this place
Erected by his brother, Rev Geo.Ion
Joseph Ion (1805)
Son of Rev Geo Ion

<Top of Page>  <East Riding 1>    <East Riding 3>  <Home - Gazetteer - Index Page>