YORKSHIRE - THE NORTH RIDING - 2

Felixkirk
   Forcett  Gilling East  Gilling West   Grinton   Hauxwell  Hornby

 
Felixkirk - St Felix 
There is said to be effigies of a knight and lady of about 1300 in the church. However the church, which is on the edge of the village, is locked by a padlock on the entrance to the porch; it was thus not possible to see of there was a list of key holders. You can park outside the church O/S Ref: 468 848
 
Forcett - St Cuthbert
Park outside the church. The church is open although the effigy is in the porch which has no gate to the outside
O/S Ref: NZ 176 123

Priest 14th century. In porch. There are also several fragments of coffin lids set in the walls and seats of the porch. Note the sheep shears, base of Calvary cross, sword , and other symbols
.
 

Gilling East - Holy Cross
Also called simply Gilling. Church open; park outside
O/S Ref: 616 769

Left and middle centre: Two foliated crosses
Middle top: Arched canopy of the 14th century; south wall, south aisle. There are shields on either side but nothing else remains
Right and middle bottom: Slab to an unknown knight, early 14th century. In the chancel. Possibly founder of the chancel, one of the Malbys; also said to be Sir Ivo de Etton. There are similar monuments at Melsonby, Brize Norton, Kingerby and Staunton. The arms on one of the shields are of the Etton family.

Sir Nicholas Fairfax (1572) and his two wives: Jane Palmes and Alice Harrington. Late 16th century. Not in situ and the bases were erected in 1840.
 
There is also a reference to effigies children of the first wife but these no longer exist.

Thomas Fairfax (1828) White marble by Joseph Gott; made in Rome  

Gilling West - St Agatha  
Church normally open 9.00 am to 5.00 pm or see notice on gate. Park outside church. O/S Ref: NZ 182 052
        
Above: Black marble grave slab with Latin inscription: ,Here lies Sir Henry Boynton, knight, last heir of Sedbury of thet name, and Isabella his wife, who died the seventh day of January in the year of our Lord 1531, to whose souls may the Lord be gracious. '

Above top: Cross slab with sword, early 14th C. This is now under an arch which is shown next. The guide book (unusually) states that this is mentioned in Boutell's Christian Monuments in Englans & Wales (1849) and a copy of the drawing is shown 3rd on right.
Above & 1st & 2nd right: Cross slabs in porch.

Above: Mathew (1807) & Esther (1803/4) Raine. Latin Inscription.
First right: Esther Raine (1838) Daughter of above. Above this is a tablet with a short Greek inscription to Mathew Raine (1769), father of the Mathew above
Second right: 2/Lt Grevill Arthur Bagot Chester (kia 1914 @ 23) & 2/Lt Lewis Charles Bagot Chester (kia 1918 @ 19) Although it does not indicate specifically, brothers and sons of local clegyman.
First right: James D'Arcy, Lord D'Arcy of Navan (Ireland) (1733) signed W. Green
Second right:
Hon James D'ArcyRt Hon James Lord D'Arcy of Navan (his son)) (1731), Hon Anne D'Arcy (2nd wife ofLord D'Arcy), Isabel (3rd daughter of Lord D'Arcy ), Mrs Dorothy D'Arcy (eldest sister of Lord D'Arcy) & Mrs Mary D'Arcy (3rd wife of Lord D'Arcy) Few dates!
     
Rear Admiral Sir Christopher Cradock (1914) A central tablet withtwo side panels giving details of his naval history. '...lost his life in action off Coronel, Chile 1st November 1914 when outnumbered and outclassed in ships, outranged in guns and hopelessly overwhelemed by weight of metal, his flagship HMS Good Hope and HMS Monmouth were sunk with every soul on board.'
Grinton - St Andrew
Church open: park outside or in village  O/S Ref: SE 046 984

Right: Thomas Peacock (1762) & Dorothy (1710) & members of the family to 1828. He died aged 102; her age has been left blank. By Davies of Newcastle
Above:
'Here lyes ye body of' Dorathy Darcy (1698).' Although this resembles a hatchment, it is, unusually, a painted wooden memorial board.
Hauxwell -  St Oswald
(also called East Hauxwell)
The church is reached down a 'white road' leading to Hauxwell Hall; at the cross roads, this road points approximately north-west and looks like a private toad. It is however a public road and the church is soon reached on the left. Church usually open. There is a small car park right outside the church 
O/S Ref: SE166 930

Above: Knight and lady, early 14th century
Right: A well preserved slab with cross and sword; and a poorly preserved one - a sword can be made out but little else.

 
Henry Thoresby (1611)
Bencher of Lincoln's Inn
Sir Marmaduke (1680) and Dame Barbara Dalton (1708)
Monument dates from 1711
Opposite this Place are Interrd the Remains of the Revd  CHARLES DALTON, M.A. Rector of Hauxwell' (1788). 'And beneath...' Francis Dalton (1792) brother   Inscription in Latin but the name is too worn to be legible Elizabeth Drake (1792) Widow of Samuel,  rector of Treeton and daughter of rector of Hauxwell
'Also in this place are deposited the remains...' Frances Drake daughter of above. 1797




Ledger stone of  Mark Millbanks (1698 age 7) Sir Charles Dalton (1747) 'Gent Usher of the Black Rod'
His 'claim to fame' is that his grandfather was killed escorting Queen Henrietta Maria to King  Charles's HQ at Oxford
Above this a simple slab to John Robert Bean (1942)
KIA in Word War II; a sad claim to fame of an ordinary man
Henry Copland (1710/11)
Rev F. Wade-Dalton (1932)
Rector of Hauxwell

Hornby - St Mary
A fine and very interesting church, well worth a detour to visit. There is no village as such. Church unlocked; park outside.
NB SatNav users: there are several Hornbies: this one is near Catterick and Bedale on the west side of the Great North Road.
O/S Ref: SE 223 937


South East Chapel
 


Left and below:
 Lady of the early 14th century, much worn. She appears to have held a necklace with her left index finger and thumb. The effigy is now resting on the floor.

Right:
 Monument to the D'Arcy family (1578) The only figures are caryatids standing and cherubs lolling on the upper stages.

On the floor at the base of this monuments can be see the alabaster monuments (see details below) and several fragments.
 
Unknown Knight and Lady of the later 14th century. Alabaster. These effigies are no longer on tomb chests but on the floor. It looks like the effigies are integral with the remains of the slabs on which they lie.
 Illegible inscription but date is 1780 by John Bacon Thomas Mountforth (1489) and Agnes. There are shown 8 sons (3 as children), one a priest and 7 duaghters, one a nun. Christopher Conyers (14_) [incomplete] and wife Eleanor (1446)
Inscription partly obscured by another slab
Frances D'Arcy (1670)


slabs with crosses and, in two cases, swords, one of which obscures the brass above.

     
 
Left, right & centre top: Knight & Lady of the early 14th century.    Centre bottom: Medieval effigy, impossible to identify, worn and moss covered. In church yard by south door.

 
 
 
<Top of Page>  <Home - Index - Page> <Yorkshire North Riding Page 1 >  <Yorkshire North Riding Page 3 >  <Yorkshire North Riding Page 4 >