Alne  Amotherby Ampleforth Appleton-le-Street Bedale Bulmer Catterick Coverham Abbey Danby Wiske East Harlsey  Felixkirk   Forcett Gilling East  Gilling West   Grinton  Hauxwell Hornby               

 <Yorkshire North Riding _2>
Romaldkirk Wilton-in-
Crathorne Scarborough Slingsby
Alne - St Mary
Park outside church. The church was unlocked when we visited but this may not necessarily always be the case. O/S Ref: SE 495 654
Early 14th century effigy of a lady. North chapel

Above: John Kitching Matterson (1842)
Right: Edward Swainston (1862) & Eliza (1870) Strangwayes; their son E.S. (1877); his son John Swainston (1914)
Next right: William John Bethel (1831)
Far Right: John Pearson (1695)

Amotherby - St Helen
The church is unlocked. Park nearby in village
 O/S Ref: SE 751 735

Above & left: Sir John Bordesdon (c. 1329) The shield is carved with Sir John's arms in relief.
Right: Coffin lid with foliated cross and Lombardic inscription: Ci git Willelm de Bordesdon. He died c. 1322.
The above monuments are on either side of the chancel; the fragments below are in the porch.

Left & above:
Coffin lid with foliated cross in relief: this is partly inside and partly outside the porch. Several other cross fragments
 Above: Upper half of a coffin lid with bust sunk in relief. Several other fragments.
Ampleforth - St Hilda
Church unlocked. You may be able to park in the church hall car park behind the church O/S Ref: 583 786
A very curious monument of about 1330. A female figure looks over the shoulder of the male figure; they are carved from the same block. Was it ever recumbent? Although sometimes called a 'male civilian' he appears to be wearing a mail shirt, the collar and cuffs of which can be seen. Set into the west wall under the tower. On the figure's left side is written: Wilhelmus de [Jarpenville] although the surname is no longer legible.
Appleton-le-Street - All Saints
Turn off the main road onto a track which is signposted to the church. Turn into  the signposted 'church car park/church yard' and park on the grass. Church open. A beautiful and friendly church which is well worth a visit: drinks are provided. The church has a 10th century tower. The ladies are on either side of the chancel. O/S Ref: SE 735 786
Lady with open mantle, the folds falling vertically, c. 1300. Possibly Alienore de Boulton, grandmother of Sir Thomas de Boulton, who founded the chantry in 1364.
On this lady the folds fall across as well, early 14th century. Either Hawise de Boulton (mother of the above Sir Thomas) or Clementia de Boulton or Alice de Boulton (one of his two wives)
Bedale - St Gregory
A friendly church with much of interest. Church unlocked. Limited parking outside; otherwise park in the town
(free disc parking - obtain disc from any shop) or in  pay car park. O/S Ref: SE 266 885

Medieval Knights and a Lady at Bedale: Key
Coulumn 1 Column 2 Column 3
Knight 1. Late 14th Century: Note shield with carved heraldry Knight 1. Etchings from Hollis
Knight 2. Later 14th Century Knight 2
Sir Brian Fitzalan. (1306) Early 14th century. Note shield with carved heraldry. Not alabaster: Magnesium Limeston Sir Brian Fitzalan. (1306)
Muriel, 1st wife of Sir Brian Fitzalan. Early 14th century. Sir Brian Fitzalan & Muriel
  Feet of the above

Far left: Henry Pierse (1824) &his daughter, Harriet Elizabeth. by Richard Westmacott. South Aisle
Centre, bottom and upper left: Brian de Thornhill (1343) Rector. Priest in mass vestments. He founded  a chantry in the church. North chapel. The tomb chest was probably that of Sir Brian Fitzalan
Centre, top right: Thomas Jackson (1529) Black marble with incised effigy and inscription. A Bedale merchant. North aisle floor.
Above: Richard Lambert (1610) Latin inscription. He was the first master of Christ's Hospital at Firby, founded in 1608. North aisle
Bulmer - St Martin
Church open during normal hours. Park in road outside
O/S Ref: SE 700 676
Left top: late 13th century knight. Arms carved in relief on shield
Left bottom: slab with cross and sword in low relief
Both of the monuments have been cemented into the north wall of the nave and dissappear behind the pulpit; they appear to have been cut to size to fit.
Above far left: Drawing of the knight
Above left: Christopher Thompson (1748) who 'wrought in brass and iron for forty-five years for the third and fourth Earls of Carlisle...' (taken from Pevsner as almost illegible)
Above right: Anne Plummer (1856)
Above far left: Rev Charles Preston (1800) rector; 'his beloved consort' Elizabeth (1829); their sons: James (1797), Charles (1802), George (1813) & Edward (1822)

Catterick - St Anne
Church open. Park (free) in the village street from where a sort walk to the church O/S Ref: SE 240 980

Knight, late 14th century. Note the unusual feature: he carries no sword (cf the similarly dated effigy at Kirklington, who also carries a shield) Said to be Sir Walter of Urswick, Chief Forester of Swaledale and Constable of Richmond Castle.

Left: Brass to  William Burgh (1492) & Elizabeth now wall mounted on wood.
Above: Brass to William Burgh (1442) & his son, also William (1465) The pew to which Pevsner refers must now have been removed.
The first William built the church; the third was his grandson.
Left to right: 1. Sir Henry Lawson Bt (1854). 2. John (1782) & Thomas (1777) Booth. 3. ...'ye Revd: Mr MICH: SYDDAL late vicr of Cathericke...' 1658 A benefactor, he left £500 for the founding of a hospital for six poor widows, a free school and a small chapel, as well as a salary for a master to teach 'gratis' and read morning and evening prayer.  4. Charles Anthony, vicar 1660-85. Inscription in Latin.  5. Richard Braithwaite (1673) court poet. 6. Christopher Barker (1779), his wife Martha, their daughter Elizabeth Shutt (1770), their grand daughter Mary Shutt (1786), their daughter Mary Kirkby (1790) and his sister Alice Hawxwell (1791). 7. Dame Catherine Lawson (1824) 8. Sir Henry Lawson (1854) 9 Anastasia Strickland Standish (1807) Eldest daughter of Sir John Lawson
Coverham Abbey
The ruins of Coverham Abbey are in private ownership and not accessible. These two effigies are set against a wall near the Georgian house also called Coverham Abbey; the photographs were taken in the 1980's when I was able to gain access. There is a torso of a third effigy which I did not find
O/S Ref: SE 107 863

Late 13th century

 Early 14th century
Danby Wiske 

No dedication
Despite the rather off putting council notices on the gate to the churchyard, the friendly church is open. Park in the lane leading to the church 
O/S Ref: SE 339 983
Effigy of a lady early 14th century but recut. Said to be Matilda, widow of Brian Fitz Alan  of  Bedale (c 1340) (q.v.) and daughter of John Balliol, the Scots King. The effigy was used as a lintel over the bell tower door and moved to present position in 1939.
East Halsey - St Oswald
Park outside but the church is locked: you will need to apply to the church for the key
O/S Ref: SE 426 908
Far left: 12th century grave slab. Note the sheep shears. The inscription is said to read: 'Hic jacet Joha...' Near Left: 13th century slab said to be of William Sawcock and Wife. Note the cross and military equipment. To the right: Effigy said to be of Sir Geoffrey Hotham (1326) Note the bare head and the surcoat with long sleeves. Face recut. Cf Bedale above.

Felixkirk - St Felix 
There is said to be effigies of a knight and lady of about 1300 in the church. However the church, which is on the edge of the village, is locked by a padlock on the entrance to the porch; it was thus not possible to see of there was a list of key holders. You can park outside the church O/S Ref: 468 848
Forcett - St Cuthbert
Park outside the church. The church is open although the effigy is in the porch which has no gate to the outside
O/S Ref: NZ 176 123

Priest 14th century. In porch. There are also several fragments of coffin lids set in the walls and seats of the porch. Note the sheep shears.
Gilling East - Holy Cross
Also called simply Gilling. Church open; park outside
O/S Ref: 616 769
Top row: Two foliated crosses Bottom row: Slab to an unknown knight, early 14th century. In the chancel. Possibly founder of the chancel, one of the Malbys; also said to be Sir Ivo de Etton. There are similar monuments at Melsonby, Brize Norton, Kingerby and Staunton. Next is an arched canopy of the 14th century; south wall, south aisle. The arms on one of the shields are of the Etton family.
Above: Sir Nicholas Fairfax (1572) and his two wives: Jane Palmes and Alice Harrington. Late 16th century. Not in situ and the bases were erected in 1840. There is a reference to children of the first wife but these no longer exist.
Thomas Fairfax (1828) White marble by Joseph Gott; made in Rome

Gilling West - St Agatha
Church normally open 9.00 am to 5.00 pm or see notice on gate. Park outside church. O/S Ref: NZ 182 052
Above: Black marble grave slab with Latin inscription: ,Here lies Sir Henry Boynton, knight, last heir of Sedbury of thet name, and Isabella his wife, who died the seventh day of January in the year of our Lord 1531, to whose souls may the Lord be gracious. '

Above top: Cross slab with sword, early 14th C. This is now under an arch which is shown next. The guide book (unusually) states that this is mentioned in Boutell's Christian Monuments in Englans & Wales (1849) and a copy of the drawing is shown 3rd on right.
Above & 1st & 2nd right: Cross slabs in porch.

Above: Mathew (1807) & Esther (1803/4) Raine. Latin Inscription.
First right: Esther Raine (1838) Daughter of above. Above this is a tablet with a short Greek inscription to Mathew Raine (1769), father of the Mathew above
Second right: 2/Lt Grevill Arthur Bagot Chester (kia 1914 @ 23) & 2/Lt Lewis Charles Bagot Chester (kia 1918 @ 19) Although it does not indicate specifically, brothers and sons of local clegyman.
First right: James D'Arcy, Lord D'Arcy of Navan (Ireland) (1733) signed W. Green
Second right:
Hon James D'ArcyRt Hon James Lord D'Arcy of Navan (his son)) (1731), Hon Anne D'Arcy (2nd wife ofLord D'Arcy), Isabel (3rd daughter of Lord D'Arcy ), Mrs Dorothy D'Arcy (eldest sister of Lord D'Arcy) & Mrs Mary D'Arcy (3rd wife of Lord D'Arcy) Few dates!
Rear Admiral Sir Christopher Cradock (1914) A central tablet withtwo side panels giving details of his naval history. '...lost his life in action off Coronel, Chile 1st November 1914 when outnumbered and outclassed in ships, outranged in guns and hopelessly overwhelemed by weight of metal, his flagship HMS Good Hope and HMS Monmouth were sunk with every soul on board.'

Grinton - St Andrew Church open: park outside or in village O/S Ref: SE 046 984

Thomas Peacock (1762) & Dorothy (1710) & members of the family to 1828. He died aged 102; her age has been left blank. By Davies of Newcastle
'Here lyes ye body of' Dorathy Darcy (1698).' Although this resembles a hatchment, it is a painted wooden memorial board.

Hauxwell -  St Oswald
(also called East Hauxwell)
The church is reached down a 'white road' leading to Hauxwell Hall; at the cross roads, this road points approximately north-west and looks like a private toad. It is however a public road and the church is soon reached on the left. Church usually open. There is a small car park right outside the church  O/S Ref: SE166 930

knight and lady early 14th century
Henry Thoresby (1611)
Bencher of Lincoln's Inn

Sir Marmaduke (1680) and Dame Barbara Dalton (1708)
Monument dates from 1711

Inscription in Latin but the name is too worn to be legible

Henry Copland (1710/11)
Rev F. Wade-Dalton (1932)
Rector of Hauxwell

Opposite this Place are Interrd the Remains of the Revd  CHARLES DALTON, M.A. Rector of Hauxwell' (1788). 'And beneath...' Francis Dalton (1792) brother

Elizabeth Drake (1792) Widow of Samuel,  rector of Treeton and daughter of rector of Hauxwell
'Also in this place are deposited the remains...' Frances Drake daughter of above. 1797
Top: Driver John Robert Bean Royal Signals kia 1942
Bottom: Sir Charles Dalton (1747) 'Gent Usher of the Black Rod'
Ledger stone of  Mark Millbanks (1698 age 7) cross slab with sword slab with sword; rest obliterated  
Hornby - St Mary
A fine and very interesting church, well worth a detour to visit. There is no village as such. Church unlocked; park outside.
NB SatNav users: there are several Hornbies: this one is near Catterick and Bedale on the west side of the Great North Road.
O/S Ref: SE 223 937
South East Chapel


Above & first right: Lady early 14th century, much worn
Second right and far right: Knight and Lady of the later 14th century. Alabaster. These effigies are no longer on tomb chests but on the floor. Behind is a monument to the D'Arcy family (1578)
Below left and next right: Further photographs os the alabaster effigies

Thomas Mountford (1489) , Wife & Children

Brass matrices and inscriptions

Frances D'Arcy (1670)
Nave, North Aisle, and Church Yard

Far left top: Medieval effigy, impossible to identify, worn and moss covered. In church yard by south door. Far left bottom: Knight & Lady of the early 14th century. There then follows close up photographs of these two effigies and then a drawing of the knight. Far right: Illegible inscription but date is 1780 by John Bacon
The above etchings are from Hollis & Stothard and the drawings from I'Anson and Boutell except for the civilian at Sherrif Hutton & effigies at Pickering which are by the Web Master.
<Top of Page>  <Home - Gazetteer Page>  <Yorkshire North Riding _2>