YORKSHIRE - THE EAST RIDING
I have not really done justice to the old East Riding: many of the photographs are old black and white ones, often there are just lists of monuments and my own photographic skills were rather lacking twenty years ago, which I will blame on the lack of a sufficiently wide angle lens for interior shots. Those I have taken were during the Church Monuments Society symposium at Beverley in 1996; not the best time to take photographs!
(Aldbrough)  Aughton  Bainton   Beeford  BEVERLEY  Birdsall  Bishop Burton  Brandesburton  Burton Agnes Butterwick  Eastrington  Esrick  Foston-on-the-Wolds  Goxhill  Harpham  Hornsea Howden HULL (Kirk Ella)  (Lockington) Lowthorpe  Patrington  Routh  (Sledmere) South Dalton  Sutton-on-the-Hull   Swine  Thorpe Bassett (WarterWatton  Welton  Welwick  Winestead

Aldbrough - St Bartholomew

Lady (c. 1360)
, Effigy under an ogee canopy on a tomb chest with quatrefoils and shields.

Sir John de Melsa (1377)
, Knight on tomb chest which is similar to that above.


James Bean (1767)
, Obelisk with urn & lamp.

Thomas Hall (1808)
, Obelisk with urn & cherubs' heads.
Aughton - All Saints


Richard Aske (1466) & wife (1460
) brass 
Beeford - St Leonard

Priest (early 14th century) 
Thomas Tong, Rector (1472) Brass; wears a cope and holds a book
Bainton - St Andrew

Sir John de Mauley, Rector (1331) Knight in contemporary recess. On the canopy angels hold soul in napkin. (shown above and left)
Roger Godeale, Rector (1429) brass; holds chalice.  (shown right)
Robert Faucon (1661) Tablet with falcon (rebus),skull and angel's head. Inscription gives date 1640.
Robert Grimston (1756) & Elizabeth (1771) Two marble tablets with obelisks
BEVERLEY 

Beverley  was one of the 'Six More English Towns' chosen by Alec Clifton-Taylor in the BBC Television series and is certainly worth a vist and a wander around. It has not just one but two magnificent churches as well as a remarkable number of pubs; the handful I have visited were rather good. Plus - and I hope it is still there - an excellent ice cream shop - Burgess & Son (just inside the bar)


Beverley Minster
The Parish Church of St John of Beverley and St Martin of Tours
It was originally a collegiate church

Retrochoir

Sir Michael Warton (1655) Attributed to Thomas Stanton. Sir Michael Warton (1725),   By PeterScheemakers, 1728-32. Susanna Warton (1682)  by William Stanton Michael Warton (1688)  by William Stanton.

Other Monuments
John Warton (1656) , inscription on drapery. Attributed to Thomas Stanton


North Choir Aisle & North-East Transept

Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland (1489) No effigy and the canopy was demolished in the early 18th century. The Earl famously held back at the Battle of Bosworth, failing to support and so contributing to the defeat of King Richard III. He was murdered by a mob at Topcliffe a few years later. Sir Charles Hotham (1723) Standing monuments in the centre of which a shield in a cartouche and to each side free standing arrangements of armour, originally much higher but truncated at the suggestion of Sir G G Scott. On the left is more recent photograph but the monument is obscured by paraphenalia; on the right a black and white photograph aken with a wide angle lens.
Above: Is this the memorial to Rev Giles Fleming (ob 1665) referred to in Pevsner's Yorkshire: The East Riding, where it is described as a painted wooden board with rhyming inscription but anonymous.
Right:
The Percy tomb with its canopy, with odd proportions and perspective
Far right:
Walter Strickland (1780)  By PeterChenu of London.

Other Monuments
 Mary Canham (ob 1795) urn on obelisk. By Fisher of York.

North Transept - North Doorway



   
Above top and right:  Civilian Male c 1360.
Above bottom and below:  Nicholas de Huggate (1338) Effigy of priest in mass vestments. Many heraldic shields. The tomb chest is from another monument and may belong to the canopy in the nave.  Note the fine carving of the details on the ecclesiastical vestments. The above lithograph by R Martin for Scaum's Beverlac (1829) is clearly labelled 'The Percy Tomb'; However, it is clearly the Huggate tomb. Excellent drawing however.


Other Monuments
Tomb chest with back wall with brass indent. Purbeck, very decayed.
Ebernezer Robertson (1825) by Knowles of Oxford
John Storm (1832) by George Earl Jnr
James Edmonds (1776) urn

South Transept







Right:
 Mjr-Gen Bernard Foord Bowes (1812). By Coade & Sealy KIA at 42 in the Penninsular War

Top lefi: 
Richard Milner (1757)

Top right:Anne Routh (Truslove) Her son William Moor 'lies inter'd near her' She had children by her first marriage but none by her second.
The Nave
Left: Tomb chest 15th century with quatrefoils and black slab. The canopy does not belong - see above.  Known as the 'Two Sisters Tomb'

Above: 20th century slab marking the burail site ofSt John of Beverley


The Choir 

Lady Eleanor Percy (1328)  This is the famous Percy Tomb, said to be the most splendid of British Decorated funerary monuments, but the attribution is uncertain; heraldry, however, makes a date after 1339 likely. There is no effigy but the top slab of the tomb chest which was removed in 1825, in the amost certainly mistaken belief that this was a later addition, bore the indent of a brass of a priest

Beverley - St Mary



Here two young Dasifs Souldiers lye.
The one in quarrell chanc'd to die;
The other Head, by their own Law
With Sword was fever'd at one Blow
December the 23rd
1689
Far left: General George Garth  (1819). Col 17th Reg of Foor, Lt Governor of Placentia in North America. Left: Ralph (1768) & Bridget (Gee) (1774) Signed: (Edmund) Foster HULL fecit. Above left :John Lockwood (1827), his wife, Sarah (1831) and daughter, Charlotte (1838).  Above centre: Sir Edward Barnard (1686)  marble floor slab with inlaid brass roundel with arms.  Above right: Tale of a Beverley murder and execution. On the exterior of the S chancel aisle, monument to two Danish soldiers, one of whom was executed for killing the other. The inscription is given above.  

 
Robert Walker (1856)

by R Whitton
Ralph Wharton (1709)
3rd son of Michael & Susanna Wharton   Attributed to William Woodman the Elder.
Sir Ralph Warton (1700),  Similar and also by Woodman.
Younger son of Michael and grandson of Sir Michael
Charles Wharton (1714) Similar  and also by Woodman.
4th son of Michael & Susanna Wharton
  Robert Kennington (1859)
by R Whitton

The cross slab above is to Robert Burton (1535).   The two ledger stones are to the two wives of Captain Lovelace Gylby: Margaret (Barnard) (1720) and Margaret (1790); Capt Gylby died in 1745.

Other Monuments
There are many floor monuments - brass matices, incised slabs and ledger stones - a few of which are shown above. There are also many fragments in the priests' room including a 13th century floriated slab and a marble inscription to Francis Drake (1771), author of Eboracum, whose son was vicar here.
Richard Grayburn (1720) Wall monument.
Capt Lovelace Gylby (1745) Wall tablet with obelisk and trophy of arms and swags
Mary Boldero (1753) With broken pediment
William Hutchinson (1808)Tablet with urn, signed Bacon, London, Samuel Manning fecit
Samuel Butler (1812) Oval inscription
William Stephenson (1836) Upturned torches. By Whitton

Beverley Friary
Now restored as Youth Hostel; near the Minster

Lady (c 1310), effigy east of porch. Outside but now protected by a wooden canopy since the first photograph was taken. May be easily visited.

Birdsall - St Mary

Lady (14th century) effigy with kneeling mourners on the lateral sides. (shown)

Henry Southeby (1662) black tablet

Ann Southeby (662) black tablet with drapery

Thomas Southeby (1729) Large pedimented tablet signed by Michael Rysbrack

Sixth Lord Middleton (1835) Kneeling woman in white marble by Richard Wesmacott

Charlotte Willoughby (1814) tablet with draped urns by Waudby of York

Henry Willoughby (1845) identical to the above

Bishop Burton-All Saints

Peter Johnson, Vicar (1461) chalice brass with inscription (shown)
Johanna Rokeby (1521) brass
Lady Isabell Ellerker (1579) with one of her husbands, either Sir John Ellerker or Christopher Estoft. Brass
Rachel Gee (1649) Woman in shroud with kneeling figure of girl, alabaster. Mid 19th century base with copy of original inscription. Nearby on the wall are the carved arms from the same monument.
Thomas Almack (1840) Wall tablet
Brandesburton - St Mary

William Darrell, Rector (1364) Brass with two inscriptions: one in Latin and the other in Norman French (shown)
Sir  John de Quentin (1397) and Wife. Brass; he holds his heart. (part shown)
Charles Richardson (1756) Inscription in architectural surround
Jonathan Midgley (1778) Tablet, obelisk with urn
Burton Agnes - St Martin

Above: Sir Walter Griffith (1481) & Wife, Alabaster knight and lady on a tomb chest with fourteen figures under ogee gables: Annunciation, female saints including St Anne teaching Virgin to read, male saints and angels with shields. Also a figure of a child as a knight lies next to mother, having been originally next to his father but was moved when the female figure, originally in this position, was stolen.  Right: Cross slab in church yard.
Above left: Sir Griffith Boynton Bt (1778) Relief of young female with children.  Above centre:  Sir Griffith Boynton Bt (1761) Coloured marbles;  by Sir Henry Cheere, 1763.  Above right: Sir Henry Griffith Kt (1620) and his wife Elizabeth  Far right:  Sir Henry Griffith Bt (1654) & Two Wives (a Willoughby and a Bellingham) Instead of effigies are three black coffins. On the tomb chest a still life of skulls and bones.

Other Monuments
Sir Roger de Somerville (1337), Tomb chest with quatrefoils, so attributed by 18th century tablet.
 Rev George Burghope (1727) Stone architrave
Thomas Dade (1759) Tablet with urn and obelisk, very fine
Ann Cayley (1769) Similar to above but poorer, by Fisher
Elizabeth Moshum (1820) Oval tablet by W Ward of Scarborough

Butterwick - St Nicolas
Sir Robert Fitzralph (c 1317) Crossed legged knight, feet on dog and angel. (drawing and photograph)
Coffin Lid (early 13th century) With swoard, shield and vines.
Eastrington - St Michael

Left & right:
Knight & Uncertain: probably parts of two medieval effigies in porch
Cross (13th century)
Fleury, incised and infilled with lead
Brass indents
Two of these
Cross floriated in relief with coa
t of arms
Knight (early 14th century)
Incised slab; very worn.
Ledger stone with border inscription of 1421 and palimpsest inscription to Michael Portington (1696)
Thomas de Portington (1427) & Wife.
Knight/lady.
Sir John Portintgon (1453) & Ellen Alabaster effigies on stone tomb chest. He was Justice of the Common Bench and is shown with his judge's robes over his armour (rare); she is now headless and is unusually longer than her husband.
Angels hold shields on tomb chest.
Bell Family (1839-55)
Series of five wall tablets by Waudby of York

Escrick - St Helen

Knight (early 14th century) (Shown)
Beilby Thompson (1750)
marble tablet with pilasters and scrolled pediment

Dame Sarah Dawes (1771)
Coloured marble tablet with urn on sarcophagus on obelisk
Beilby Thompson (1799)
Putto leaning on urn with owl by The Fishers
Jane, Lady Lawley (1816)
Kneeling figure in relief with two flanking angels, one with scroll and one with hourglass. By Bertel Thorwaldsen of Rome (although Danish).
Richard Thompson (1820)
Seated Grecian figure by Mathew Cotes Wyatt, c 1834.
Caroline, Lady Wenlock (1868) Marble recumbent sleeping figure by Count Gleichen (Admiral the Prince Victor of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, cousin of Queen Victoria). Erected 1876.
Hon and Rev Stephen Willoughby Lawley (1905)
Tablet by Gill & Christie (ie Eric Gill) 1907
Beilby, 3rd Lord Wenlock (1912)
Tablet with laudatory inscription
Lord Wenlock (1918)
Tablet
Lord Wenlock (1932)
Tablet

In churchyard, gravestone to 3rd Lord Wenlock

Foston on the Wold
St Andrew

Goxhill - St Giles





Johanna de Lelley (late 14th century)
Effigy in half relief under canopy. Black letter inscription

Not shown:
Marmaduke Constable (1690)
Ledger stone with lettering, arms and cherub with cornucopia

The 14th century effigy of a civilian has now been moved to Hornsea - see below

Harpham - St John of Beverley

A Lady (1360-70)
     
Above left: Sir Thomas de St Quintin (1418) & Wife. Rubbing of part of male figure from the male figure detail from knight/lady brass set under a double canopy. There is a somewhat cropped photograph of this brass to the left. Very fine work.
Above right:
. c.1400. Rubbing of part of incised figures under a canopy from an alabaster tomb chests; the chest itself has quatrefoils flanking a crucifix. A photograph shown below.  Probably set up by the St Quintin Rector of Hornsea and is similar.
Right: Thomas de St Quintin (1445)
, brass rubbing. A photograph to the far right
Mathew Chitty T St Quintin (1876)
Brass by Matthews & Sons of London
The entrance to the St Quintin vault. Built 'by order of' William St Quintin 1827: closed 1887. Mathew Chitty St Quintin (1785) Coloured marble Mary Darby (1773)
by J
Fisher of York
William de St Quintin (1349) & Wife
See above.
All I could get at the time!

Other Monuments
Sir William  St Quintin (1649) Marble wall tablet with Corinthian columns and broken pediment. Signed Enos Coates of Falsgrave, who also restored the monument in 19th C.

John (1746) & Rebecca (1758) St Quintin  Marble wall tablet with draped urn.

William T St Quintin (1805)
Neoclassical wall tablet by Joseph Kendrick of London.
Charlotte St Quintin (1762) large standing angel by urn with double portrait medallion; by Joseph Wilton Sir William St Quintin (1723) marble with sarcophagus and skull, erected 1768  

Hornsea - St Nicholas
 




A
Fauconberg (William) of Catfoss, knight, cross legs, c. 1320. Brought from Nunkeeling.  Also side by side: Isabella de Forz, Countess of Aumale (1293) or Amicia, Countess of Devon (1284), the former the mother and the latter the grandmother of Aveline, Countess of Lancaster, whose tomb in Westminster Abbey is similar. (c 1290 )and very fine. Also brought from Nunkeeling.




Mary Cowling (1801)
She died on a Christmas day, aged 19
                                                                     
Other Monuments
 
George Acklam (1629)
Brass inscription. Also brought from Nunkeeling.


William Day (1616),
Wooden frame with rhyming punning inscription.

Richard Simpson (1785),
Tablet with urn, c. 1800.

Thomas Cowling (1810),  
Tablet with
  urn.
Top: Anthony St Quintin, rector, (1430). Incised effigy on alabaster tomb chest with shields in quatrefoils, c. 1400 (ie before he died)
Bottom:
Civilian, c. 1330 in cape and hood. Brought from Goxhil

Howden - St Peter

Above:  Sir John Metham (1312) and Sybyl. Knight with crossed legs and lady under a mid 14th century tomb recess which does not belong; they were formerly on a tomb chest in the middle of the chapel.
Right:
Sir Eluard Saltmarshe (1322) knight with crossed legs now on the tomb chest with weepers referred to left.

Other Monuments

Walter Kirkham, Bishop of Durham (1260). A coffin lid of Frosterley Marble from County Durham, with a cross in relief and inscription recorded; unusually, a viscera burial.
Cross slab (1300) with arched base containing female figure
Johannes Cole (1467)
Incised slab with cross, chalice and missal
Knight (1480)
Brass
John Saltmarshe (1533)
Incised slab
Mary Rawson (1787)
Roundel with female figure in relief
Ann Whittaker and others (1794- 1803)
Sarcophagus with obelisk by Willoughby of Howden
Catherine Saltmarshe & others (1807-11) by Fisher of York.
Ann Spofforth (1824) Tablet with urn
Thomas Carter (1829) Tablet by Waudby of York
Elizabeth Saltmarshe (1837) 17th century style tablet by J Browne, London 1847-48
Philip Saltmarshe (1846) Ornate Gothick by J Browne, London 1847-48
Arthur Saltmarshe (1864) Gothick by Bedford of London
Arthur Saltmarshe (1909) Gothick
Philip Saltmarshe (1912) Gothick
R S Scholfield (1913) edger stone by Eric Gill

Also:
many floor slabs, five brass indents and reused medieval gravestones. 17th - 18th century ledger stones

HULL
Kingston upon Hull
A fine collection of monuments in a city where initially onw would not expect to find them

Hull - Holy Trinity

Other Monuments
Sir William de la Pole (1366) & Katherine ( 1381) , traditional identification of the alabaster effigies of a merchant and wife in canopied niche . (part shown left)
Sir Richard de la Pole (1345)
Uncertain. In canopied niche leading into Broadley Chapel, originally the de la Pole Chantry Chapel. Restored shields suggest a de la Pole. Canopy influenced by Percy Tomb at Beverley; renewed in 1863

Richard Byll (1451) and Wife.
Brass half effigies (civilian) with merchant's mark and black letter inscription
Lady (late 15th century)
Thomas Dalton (1591) and Wives
Incised slab with inlaid shields
Thomas Whincop (1624)
Tablet with bust and flanking black columns, open pediment
Thomas Ferrers (1631)
Angel giving man a drink; bust of the commemorated. By Thomas Earle of London, 1859
John Huntington (1790) Oval tablet by Edmund Foster
Nathaniel Maister (1772)
Medallion with female figure with urn
Rev Thomas Milner (1797)
Wall tablet with figure of Moses by John Bacon Jnr
Thomas Gleadow (1814) Sarcophagus with urn on obelisk
John Appleyard (1860) Kneeling female figure by Thomas Earle of London.
Henry Maister (1812)
Sarcophagus surmounted by a crossed sword and spear framed by gothic arch by John Earle
Joel Foster (1820) Inscription on drapery hanging from canopy surmounted by an urn
Anthony Scales (1824) Sarcophagus, urn and weeping willow
John Alderson (1829) Portrait medallion with two female figures by William Behnes
William Wooley (1837)
Free standing bust on pedestal by W D Keyworth
George Lambert (1838) - Organist tablet with the church organ by John Earle
John Cowham Parker (1841) Gothick marble tablet
John William Grey (1860) Angel with drowned boy and infant by Thomas Earle
John J Matthewson (1863) Tablet with Moses striking the rock for water. Mr Matthewson was responsible for securing Hull's water supply
John Smith (1875) Georgian tablet designed by Ronald Simms and executed by Dick Reid
William Thomson, Archbishop of York (1890) Portrait medallion
Rupert Alec-Smith (1983) Georgian tablet designed by Ronald Simms and executed by Dick Reid
Many 17th to early 18th century black ledger stones with deeply incised arms. Such stones may have been imported, partly cut, from Holland.
John Ramsden (1637) & Wife, Incised slab
Anthony Lambert (1688)  Cartouche with angels' heads and winged skulls
Henry Maister (1699)  Similar to the above
Giliad Goch (1700) Cartouche with angel's head and crest
William Maister (1716) Corinthian pilasters and broken pediment. Attributed to Robert Hartshorne
Mark Kirby (1718) and Daughter Inscription on drapery hanging from a canopy; by Robert Hartshorne
William Skinner (1724) Putti and pediment
Thomas Earl (1876) Two mourning females by urn. by himself

Hull - St Mary
Lowgate

John Harrison (1525), wives, Alys and Agnes and sons, Thomas, John & William. A Wool draper. English Brass but this is an early plate rather than a cut out
Thomas Swan (1630)  & Wife and children. Incised slab inlaid with white composition.
William Dobson (1666) Frontal bust in classical arch, flanked by putti with cartouches of arms, skulls, swags and drops carved with fruit and flowers. Alabaster. Decorative wrought iron work below
Robert Hildyard (1683) Black marble ledger stone with arms
Jonathan Beilby (1711) Cartouche with cherubs' heads
Philip Wilkinson (1716) Cartouche with cherubs' heads, winged skull and lamp
Benjamin Blaydes (1771) Oval tablet
Sir Samuel Standidge (1801) White marble tablet in black frame
Rev John Barker (1816) Wall tablet with sarcophagus surmounted by urn, books and chalice. Attr. John Earle
Rev John Scott (1834) Portrait medallion by  James Loft
John Bannister (1840) Portrait medallion with face covered
Rev John Scott 1865) Incised slab with figure in cassock, surplice and gown

The church yard is paved with slabs removed from the church at restoration of 1861-63 by Sir G G Scott, a cousin of the then vicar John Scott above


Kirk Ella - St Andrew
Ann Seaman & others. Wall tablet of 1769; frame of Ionic columns with inscription on a drape above which are three oval portrait medallions which hang from stone nails.
Sir Robert Legarde (1721) Tablet
Joseph (1783)  and Mary Corthine (1791) Obelisks with urns
William Sparks (1798) Wall tablet with medallion, seated figure and urn.
Joseph Sykes (1805) He rises out of his coffin amid shattered rocks; below are various allegorical figures and symbols. By Bacon in 1809.
Henry Legards (1819) and William Wilkinson (1823) Tablets with sarcophagi by Appleton Bennison
Joseph Eggington (1830) Tablet by I Waudby of Hull
Richard and Mary Sykes (1831) Gothick tablet
Nicholas Sykes (1832) and others; Gothick tablet by Earle
Joseph Sykes (1857) Portrait medallion and ship in distress by W D Keyworth
Outside on wall part of 13th century cross slab. Many 19th century table tombs in the church yard.
Lockington - St Mary
Mary Moyser (1633) Effigy on her side, oval inscription behind in a cartouche with angels flanked by Corinthian columns. Above broken pediment with allegorical figures, below kneeling figures of her four sons.
John (1694) and Francis (1725) Estoft Architectural frame with open and  broken pediment above and skull and cross bones below
Rev Thomas Constable (1786) Gray and white marble with oval inscription plaque flanked by pilasters with urns above
Rev Robert Midgely (1775) Urn missing
Rev Francis Lundy (1816) Urn on obelisk

Lowthorpe -  St Martin
   
Above left:  Sir John de Haslerton (c 1333), A couple covered by a sheet which, in turn, in covered by a tree with branches from which grow the heads of thirteen children; the top of the tree, from which shields hang, is at the base of the monument. A wonderful curiosity.
Above right: George Salvayn (1417), brass. The indent is in the chancel and includes also that of a lady
Other Monuments
Joseph Ion (1805) Wall tablet, obelisk with urns.
Rev Jonathan  Ion (1808) Wall tablet obelisk with urns.
Sir Thomas Haslerton (c 1364) Top portion of brass matrix
John Pierson (1665) Tomb chest with brass with arms & inscription
Patrington - St Patrick

Lady (early - mid 14th century)
Stone effigy with canopy, mutilated. From Kilnsea church. (shown)

Robert Patrington, priest. (later14th century) Treasurer of York Minster. Brass indent of half effigy within circular inscription.
Two other brass indents
Grave slabs (13th - 14th centuries) Several of these, some with incised crosses
John Duncalf (1637) & Emot Shaw (1652) Brass inscriptions
Mary Robinson (1763) Urn with finial
Mary French (1782) Fluted pilasters
Robert Robinson (1783) Scrolled pediment
Mary Pearson (1800) Pediment and urn
George French (1802) Draped urn

Oval Tablets (1796-1813 Several of these
Swine - St Mary
 

 
Knight/Lady c. 1400 on tomb chest with shields in quatrefoils. Probably the tomb recorded which had Sutton arms in 1584; if so possibly Sir Thomas 'Lord' Sutton (c 1384) and Wife.  
Knight of c 1410 on tomb chest with pairs of kneeling angels holding shields, alabaster. The base is a 13th century grave slab with incised cross. Arms of Hilton of Hilton (differenced) quartering Hilton of Swine but not indentified.

On the left is a Knight/Lady of c 1410-20, on tomb chest with pairs of angels holding shields, alabaster. Arms of Hilton of Swine. Either Robert III of Swine (c 1400) and one of his wives, or Robert IV (c 1431) and his wife Joan.
On the right ( and you could just see the heads on the previous photographs) is Sir  Robert Hilton (1363) & Maud (probably), knight/lady of 1360-70 on tomb chest with shields and one remaining kneeling mourner; alabaster. Arms of Hilton of Swine. Below is a close up photographs of this monument.

This information in this section was adapted from that written and provided  by Philip Lankester 2006 at the Beverely Church Monuments Society symposium that year.

Routh - All Hallows
A de Routh, Knight & Lady (c 1420) under double canopy. (shown)
Knight (1290) Crossed legged. Shows burial face cloth. This latter is rare but is shown by others in Yorkshire

Matilda Smith (1844) Tablet by T Haynes of Beverley

In churchyard is part of a medieval grave slab with incised foliated cross which have been reused as a eighteenth century gravestone.
Sledmere - St Mary

Henry Rousby (1767)
Wall tablet by Fishers of York.

Two tablets of sarcophagi, each with two white oil lamps on top, 1795.
Henrietta Masterman (1813), Seated figure by sarcophagus with urn; by Rouw.
Sir Mark Masterman Sykes (1823), Tablet with mourning lady and broken column; by Samuel Manning the Elder & John Bacon the Younger.
Dame Virginia Sykes (1970) in the chancel an inscribed plinth topped by an urn; in the south aisle a wall tablet with inscription; both by George G Pace


Sutton-on-Hull - St James (Outer Hull)

Sir John de Sutton (1357) Effigy with straight legs on tomb chest with shields in quatrefoils. Shield with carved arms (shown)
John Byron (1805) Tablet
Mary Ross (1810) & Thomas Frost (1825) Tablet
Mary Bell (1838) Tablet by George Earl
William Liddle (1834) Neoclassical tablet with portrait medallion
John Lee Smith (1863) Gothic tablet by W D Keyworth

South Dalton - St Mary

Sir John Hotham (1689) Tentatively attributed  to C G Cibber. In her will of 1697 his widow asked for the tomb to "like unto the Old Cecill Tomb at Hatfield", which it is. Four white marble kneeling figures of the Virtues support a black marble slab with an armoured effigy, reclining and holding head in an impossible position on his right hand; below  is a skeleton. The Hotham family aquired the manor in 1680 and have been resident from the 1730's to the present day.
Thorpe Bassett - All Saints


Priest (c. 1360)
Effigy is in poor condition; on a tomb chest with a rose in each of five quatrefoils. Restored arch over. (above)

Grave slab ( 14th century) with relief cross and incised sword
Headstones (12th century) Three of theses, parts build into north wall of aisle interior
Warter - St James
Left: Thomas Bridlington, Prior of Warter (1498) Found in the excavations in 1899 and reburied so no longer visible.
Several marble wall tablets to the Pennington family, including:
William Pennington & Sir John Pennington (1768), White marble oval tablet on coloured background with two urns.
Lady Isabel Wilson (1905), Daughter of the 7th Duke of Roxburghe, marble recumbent effigy by George Frampton, 1908.
Charles Henry Wilson, 1st Lord Nunburnholme (1907), A large white marble standing monument with double portrait medallions between allegorical figures, by Frampton.
Gerald Valerian Wilson (1908) Coloured marble tablet with gilt-bronze lettering,  allegorical statuettes & flowers, by Frampton.
In the church yard:-
1st Lord Nunbournholme (1907) Bronze life sized standing female figure by Gilbert Bayes, 1909
Gerald V Wilson (1908) Also bronze life sized standing female figure by Gilbert Bayes, 1910
2nd Lord Nunbournholme (1924) Tomb chest with carved arms & incised Union Flag
Enid, Countess of Chesterfield (1957) Raised ledger stone with bronze armorial plate.

      
Watton - St Mary
          

                  

William de Malton, Prior of Watton (1279) early incised slab which was discovered in the excavations of Watton Priory (above)
William Dickinson (1702) Tablet with arms
Elizabeth Bethell (1726) Obelisk with arms
Sarah Bethell (1730) Cartouche with angels' heads

Winestead - St German


Priest
(early - mid fourteenth century) Effigy under canopy

William Retherby (1418) Brass inscription
Sir Christopher Hildyard (1538) & Wife. Palimpsest of Flemish brass of 1360-70 (shown)
Sir Christopher Hildyard (1602) Knight on rolled up mat on tomb chest with shields
George Dickenson (1680) Cartouche with grotesque, urn and arms
Christopher Hildyard (1884) Cartouche with arms and urn. Attrib James Hardy
Robert Hildyard (1727) Obelisk with Rococo cartouche with arms, urn and lamps
William Hildyard (1842) Tablet with sarcophagus by Clothier of London

On the floor of the south chapel are ten eighteenth and nineteenth century marble tablets  to members of the Hildyard family removed from the demolished mausoleum

Welton - St Helen

Purbeck Marble Knight
Welwick - St Mary



William de la Mare, Provost of Beverley (1338-60)
 or his brother Thomas de la Mare, Vicar of Welwick (1358) or Priest (1340-50) Sunk effigy in mass vestments on curvilinear tracery. Front border of slab has four medallions with signs of the Evangelists. Figures of female saints in niches on flanking buttresses. (shown)

William (1350-60) Grave slab with incised crosier head and name incised in Lombardic characters. Excavated at Plowlands Farm 1/2 mile west.
Civilian & Wife (later 14th century) Floor slab, incised except head and hands of figure, marginal inscription and parts of canopy which would have been inlaid with brass.
William & Margaret Sottleler (1498) Floor slab with incised tau cross and black letter marginal inscription
William & Ann Wright of Plowland (1621) Brass. He was stepbrother to two of the gun powder plotters
Thomas Fox (1774) Wall tablet

Good eighteenth century gravestones in churchyard


 
With many thanks to Sally Badham, of the Church Monuments Society, Jean McCreanor and others for the photographs on this page.
The drawings are by William I'Anson except fot the Percy Tomb, Beverely, which was by the Web Master and used for a symposium poster
 
<Top of Page>   <Index - Home - Page>