Wiltshire 2  Salisbury Cathedral

Berwick St Leonard Broad Hinton Corsham Farley Edington Fisherton Delamere Great Wishford   Lacock Lydiard Tregoze

Berwick St Leonard
St Leonard
Limited parking at the bottom of the lane

George Howe (1647) & Dorothy with three  children, George Grobham, John, and Margaret Grobham.
Above: This George Grobham Howe  (ob 1676) married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Harbottle Grimstone, and the above is a memorial to six of their children who died in infancy. They were survived by James, Dorothy, Anne, Elizabeth and Mary.
Broad Hinton - St Peter ad Vincula

From left to right:
John & Winifred Glanville (1673) / Mrs Francis Stone (1714) / William Glanville (1730) / Col. William Glanville Alabaster possibly by William Wright of Charing Cross. A Latin inscription is written in the slate around the niche. A Royalist, he was killed in battle at Bridgewater; his own armour is displayed in the church.

There are other monuments of interest in the church including three of the sixteenth century..
Corsham - St Bartholomew
Church open. You can park in the church car park; there is a notice stating that the car park is only for visitors to the church , together with an attended who will ask your reasons for parking.  O/S Ref: ST 874 706

Two rather photographically  inaccessible 15th century tomb chests in the south chapel. Above is to Thomas Tropenell (1488) & Agnes and that to the right to son Christopher

Methuen Chapel - North Transept

Far Left Alice Cobb (1627) Brought from Adderbury (Oxon) in 1899.
Next Left Top
Kneeling figures from same
Next Left Bottom
Lady Eleanor Methuen (Hennesy) (1958) Designed by 4th Lord Methuen, who was an artist as well as a zoologist ; carved by F. T. Kormis (1960)
Representation of Lady Methuen at the foot of the monument; she was herself an accomplished artist
Emma Constance Mable Methuen (1859) Aged 2 years By J G Lough
Probably the daughter of either 1st or 2nd Lord Methuen
There are a great number of wall monuments in the church and I have reproduced their photographs below; I have also attempted to transcribe their inscriptions, some of which are partially or totally obliterated and other in such very dark corners they do not photograph well. Many monuments have been removed from their original site and refitted in the south transept, which is also used as a store and utility room. These look to be of the
 17th - 19th centuries and many look very fine. It has not been possible to photograph them all because of obstructions and extreme lighting conditions. I have reproduced them as 'group photographs' and have not recorded their inscription but if anyone would like a copy I'll will attempt to read them.

Upper: George Pargiter Fuller JP DL (1927) MP 1885-1895 & wife, Emily Georgina Jane (Hiks-Beach) (1930)
Their 2nd son: Lt-Col Fleetwood Fuller DSO JP DL (1947)
Lower Sir John Gerard Henry Fleetwood Fuller Bt (1981)
Upper John Fuller (1839) Barrister-at-Law, & his widow Dinah (1836)

Lower Capt. John Augustus Fuller (1859) Died in Gibraltar at 28. 'erected by his brother officers'
Upper John Bird Fuller (1872); his widow, Sophie Harriet (1883); his brother, Neston Joseph Fuller (1872); his widow Margaret (1876) By King of Bath
Sir John Michael Fleetwood Fuller Bt KCMG (1915) MP 1900-11; Governor of Victoria (Aus) 1911-15. His wife, Norah Jacintha (1935)
First Column Robert Herbert ?

Second Column
Illegible; William Sainsbury MD (1831); John Heart (1779) & Catherine (1808); Richard Hayward Alexander (1845) & Mary (Prior)(1866)

Third Column
Illegible; Illegible
Upper William Coles Bennett MA (1837) Vicar for 25 years, Hon. Canon Bristol Cathedral & Rural Dean. Below is added that his wife and two daughters are buried in the same vault but they are not named. By King, Bath.
Edward Rede (1615) Latin inscription, The 6 in the date looks like the carver first cut a 0 and then added a tail!
James Hulbert (1653)
John (1629) & Thomas (1632)
Clothiers of Corsham
Upper mainly illegible. At the base --gerford erected 1671
Ann Collett (1823)
This and the following were taken in a dark corner with the effective ASA at maximum
Upper - see below 1
Middle - Arms only; any lettering totally obliterated
Lower Illegible
Upper see below 2

Lower: Capt. Edridge Yockney kia Naaupoort, Transvaal 1901
1. Revd. Richard Fowell MA (17_ _); his wife Ann Fowell (1768); James Fowell (1768); William Fowell (1739); John Fowell Davis (1768), son of Stansfield & Mary Davis; Mary (1789) wife of Stansfield Davis; Stansfield Davis (1809)
2. Capt John Edridge RN (1856); his wife Kitty Bond (1827); Samuel Foyster Yockney (1856); Elinop Mary (1851), 2nd daughter of John & Kitty; Eliza Constance (1853), 3rd daughter of John & Kitty; Elinor Mary (1892), 2nd daughter of Augustus & Catharine Yockney; Augustus Yockney JP (1892); Catharin Yockney (1906), his widow

Farley - All Saints
Charles Fox (1704) Elizabeth Fox (1696) Sir Stephen Fox (1716) He was the builder of the church. The inscription appears to be in old French
Priory Church of St Mary, St Katharine & All Saints
Church is open during normal hours. Park in the large church car park in front of the church. Toilets in the car park only unlocked during services. Very loud organ.
O/S Ref: ST 926 533

These two stone military effigies were brought from Imber church around 1950. The inhabitants of Imber were evacuated in 1943 when the whole area was taken over for military training.

When it became clear that the village would not be restored, some items were brought from the village church to Edington.

Above & Right Top Two and Below: Effigy against wall ('Knight 1')
Far Right, Next Row to his Left and Right Bottom Two. Free standing effigy ('Knight 2')

These effigies date from the early 14th century.

'Knight 2'  bears the arms of  Rous, Lords of Imber, on his shield; it is likely that 'Knight 1' is a member of the same family.

Although the effigies are of around the same date note the differences. 'Knight 1' sheaths his sword while 'Knight 2' holds his hands in prayer. 'Knight 1' wears a helmet with a raised visor and which extends over his shoulders. 'Knight 2' wears
aitlettes attached to his shoulders - a rare feature. The mail is clearly carved on 'Knight 1' while it may well have been stamped in gesso, now worn away on 'Knight 2'.

Above & Centre Top: Sir Ralph Cheney (c. 1401) and Joan (Pavely) The lid of the tomb chest has indents for two effigial brasses and four shields. To the west of the tomb chest is a doorway indicating that the structure may have been a chantry chapel. There is no inscription for this designations but the monuments bears the arms of Cheney and Pavely.

Right & Below: Possibly one of the Baynton family, his initials IB (or is it TB or W) are showed on the barrel - or tun - on which he rests his feet; tun being a rebus for last syllable of his name. Probably a monk of the priory.  Restored and repainted in 1969-70, although the effigy is badly worn. Note the tomb chest with quatrefoils containing tuns with leaves growing from them alternating with flower heads. Also an angel holding a tun on the canopy. Late 15th century

Sir Edward Lewis (1630) & Lady Anne (Beauchamp) (1664) Alabaster and marble. Note the rolled up mat on which Sir Edward rests, the drawn back curtains and the naked putto bringing a crown of glory. In front of the tomb chest are two angels, one praying and the other weeping, and five children kneeling in prayer. The date of Lady Anne's death was left blank and painted in later so the monument must date from shortly after her husband's death.

The children are all shown young as in 1630. Although they appear to be two boys and three girls, only the last is a girl: notice her cap. The younger two boys are dressed as girls as boys did at the time until the age of seven.

Above & Right Sir Simon Richard Brissett Taylor (1815)  White marble by Chantrey

Far Right:
Monuments to the Tayler family (19th century); although the basic Gothick design is fairly common, the sculptor, White of Bath, has added kneeling figures of the family dressed in rustic clothing below, flanked on either side by standing angels. This may well be in imitation of he Lewis monument (above). Above the figures are written their initials.

Tayler Family monument continued:

Martin Tayler (1823) & his wife Anna Marie (1778)

And their children:

Two daughters who died in infancy.
Mary (1836)
Martha (1849)
William (1850)
George (1852)

Above the figures, which do not include the infant daughters, are their initials:


John Long (1748) ? Sarah Price (1796) & Edward Price (1806) ? Possibly Simon Taylor (1813)
Uncle of Sir Simon (above)
Illegible George Tayler (1816) & Ann (1808); Simon Tayler (1833) & Margaret (1849)

'In the vaulte heere lyeth the bodie of Sir Richard Brogham knight, who enjoyed a happie lyfe 78 years and, having been married to Margaret , the daughter of William Whitemore of London, departed this transitory lyfe the 5th daye of July 1627'
Margaret was born in 1576 and married Sir Richard in 1604; she is shown in widow's weeds. She remarried John St John of Lydiard a year after the death of her first husband. She was 10 years older than her second husband,  who had many children by his first wife, Anne, who died giving birth to her 23th child. Margaret had no children and there is a second monument to her at Lydiard.
  Great Wishford - St Giles
Open during daylight hours; park on the road
Thomas (1386) and Edith de Bonham. She is shown unusually: kneeling in miniature by the side of her husband. One of their sons became rector here and one of their daughters a nun at Wilton Abbey.
Next to the tomb under a mat is a worn brass to Thomas (1473) & Edith (1469) de Bonham and their nine children. She is said to have produced seven children in one birth. A Victorian copy of the original is shown nearby
Incidentally the wooden chest, partly visible in the picture, is said to be an armada chest taken from the Spanish wreck at Hurst. Probably Jacobean.

Fisherton Delamere

St Nicholas

Two infant children - boy and girl - of the vicar Thomas Crockford and his wife Joan. 1622.

Tablets, all to the Davis Family (not shown):

Rev Henry Davis (1807) Rector of All Cannings, Wilts. by T King Bath
Augustine William Davis (1834) son of John and Ann, below

Rev Thomas Davis BCL (1830) Prebendery of the Cathedral, Rector of St Martin, Salisbury & and Vicar here. Also his wife Anna (1826) By Osmond Sarum
John Davis (1791) & Ann (1800)

William Davis (1865) & Susanna (1840) and their daughter Ann Susanna (1787 at 8)
John Davis (1840)
Paid for rebuilding of the church. By Osmond Sarum

Lacock - St Cyriac
Lacock village is owned mainly by the National Trust so often busy but you may find some free street parking a short walk from the church; there is also a large pay cark park. The church is open. O/S Ref: ST 917 686

Robert Baynard (1501), Wife & Children

Right Top: Rev Archibald Paris MA (1861) Rector of Ludgvan, Cornwall. Buried Lansdown cemetery. His wife Caroline (1865) , died at Lackham House and buried in the cemetery of this parish.

Above Bottom:
James (Johnson) Lord Bishop of Worcester (1775) He died as a result of falling from a horse and was buried here in the ancestral vault. His brother died as a result of a similar accident and was also buried here. The Bishop also has in monument in Worcester Cathedral.

 John Talbot (1713) Latin inscription

 Sir William Sharington (1553) Dated 1566

Above: Rt Hon Lady Elisabeth Theresa Fielding (1846)

Right: Edwarde Bainarde (1579) Painted wooden panel. The one to the right is very similar and both are dated 1623. But who is this Edwarde?

Above: Horatia Gaisford (1851)

Left: Lady Ursula Baynard (1623) Note the variation of the spelling; these panels were presumably made together on the death of Lady Ursula. She was the daughter of Robert Stapilton and wife of Sir Robert Baynard; she also had a son Edward who was buried here.

ABOVE - Far Left Top Barnard Dickinson (1814); Next Down Charles Wilcox (1681) ?; Next Down Robert Hellier (1630); Bottom Mary (Davenport) Shakespear (1793), her husband John Shakespear (1825), their son John Talbot Shakespear (1825), 'who died at Sea on his paſage home from the East Indies'.
Centre Left Top - Three Monuments & A Door - Clockwise from the Door:
Illegible; John Skottow; Thomas Cobborn (1700).  Bottom Left to Right: James Montague (1794) son of Admiral Montague. Killed in the action at sea between Earl Howe and the French, buried at sea; Admiral John Montague (1719) Admiral of the White; Col. Edward Montague (1719) Son of the Admiral. Next Row Down, Left to Right: James & Diana Montague, and their sons, Edward, James, and his wife Elizabeth, Anthony & Robert. James & Elinor (Hedges) Montague. Bottom Row: Mary Wroughton (1727)
Centre Right, Top to Bottom: Cpt Frederick William Rooke RN (1855) Signed: C. Lewis Sc Chelt. James Montague (1789). Mary Talbot (1762) Age 9, daughter of Rev Thomas & Jane Talbot
Far Right, Top to Bottom:
Cpt Frederick Augustus Courteney Montagu (1811) (There was no room for the final 'e'), 'Royal Welch Fuſileers', and 'Major in the Portugueſs service' ; kia Battle of Albuera (Spain) 'Pierced through the heart by a muſket ball'. Hon. James Montague, wife Mary and son James.

Lydiard Tregoze  -  St Mary
Church locked but key available from nearby house - Lydiard Park - during reasonable hours. Park in house grounds

Above: 'In the vault beneath this place lyes interred the body of John Lord Viscount St John who dyed ___ of November 1749 aged ___
And Ann Lady Viscount St John his wife who dyed ___ of July 1767 aged ___'
By Rysbrack. Gray and white marble. Above , but not shown, is a tall gray obelisk. This John St John rebuilt the nearby house.

Anne Pleydell (1723)

John St John, Viscount Bolingbroke (1793)

Henry Pleydell (1684)
Right  Top:Jane Hardyman (1761).   Bottom: Walter Hardyman (1774) The husband of the above. 

Nicholas (1592) and Elizabeth St John  He served as MP for various constituencies but, being a protestant,  fell out of favour  in Mary's reign, being returned to parliament during that of Elizabeth. He and his wife had five children, one of which is the elder John below.
Family Tryptych of the St John Family

The inner panel was created in 1615 by Sir John St John, 1st Baronet and the outer part added in 1699. The kneeling couple represent  John St John (1594) and Lucy (Hungerford)(1627), parents of  Sir John who created the triptych; they kneel on a tomb at the front of which are three coffins which represent their two other sons and daughter (Walter (1582-1597), Oliver (1586-1594) & Ellinor (1580)). To the left stand Sir John St John (1648) himself and his first wife Ann (Leighton) (1628); to the right stand his six sisters; they are Ann (1629), Lucy (1668), Katherine (1633), Barbara (1672), Jane (1654) & Martha (1600)

The outer panels show the family tree and the inscription reads:
'When conquering William won by force and sword: this famous island now called Brittons land;
Of Lydiard then was Ewyas only Lord, whose heir to Tregaz linck't in marriage band;
That Tregoz a great Baron in his age; by her hand issue the Lord Graundsons wife; whose daughter Patshull took in marriage, and Beachamp theirs with Beachamp happy life;
Was blessed with a daughter whence did spring, a heir to St John who did Lydiard bring;
Thus consle of tyme by Gods Almighty power, hath kept this land of Lydiard in one race.
Five hundred forty nine year and now more, where at this day is St Johns dwelling place;
Noe noe he dwells in heaven, whose anchored faith, fired on God accounted life but death'.

'Some Ancient remains of Sir Richard St George, knight Garter King of Arms relating to ye pedigree of St John written in ye year 1615 and now transcribed this present year 1694.'

Richard St George was the Baronet's uncle. The portrait at the top of the panel represents Margaret Beauchamp of Bletso; her first husband was Oliver St John, by whom she had 2 sons and 4 daughters and her second John Beauford, 1st Duke of Somerset with whom she had a daughter, Lady Margaret Beauford.

Sir John St John, 1st Baronet (1648) with his two wives, Anne (Leighton)(1628) and Margaret (Whitmore) (    ).  She lies on the left side of her husband, holding her baby (Henry); she died two months after giving birth to Henry, who survived. This is the Sir John who stand in in triptych above. The monument is all of alabaster and was constructed in1634, that is, before his death.
Several children kneel around the tomb


(Sir) Giles Morpeson (1663), 'an eternallly notorious criminal', and his wife Katherine (St John) (1633) sister of  the first baronet. The monuments was erected by her husband.

Captain Edward St John (1645)
Son of first baronet. He was wonded at the Second Battle of Newbury and died and died six months later.


With many thanks to photographer Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade for kindly providing most of the photographs of the monuments in Salisbury Cathedral  at Wilton and several other churches Also to Dr Clive Easter of the Council of the Church Monuments Society for supplying photographs of the tablets in Salisbury and those in other churches above. Those from Malmesbury and Edington and others are by the Web Master.

< Home - Index Page>   <Wiltshire 2>  <Salisbury Cathedral>       <Top of Page>