WARWICKSHIRE
  Alcester Aston  Birmingham  Coventry Edgbaston  King's Norton Tysoe Warwick  Wooton Wawen
 
Alcester - St Nicholas 

 

Above and bottom right: First Marquess of Hertford. White marble by Chantrey 1828

Far right: Sir Hamilton Seymour (1880) Diplomt. By Count Gleichen 1882 Commisioned by his son Arthur H Seymour.

Centre top row left: A
nn Smith (1818) Signed W Manly Bidgord Sculp
Centre top row centre:
John Brandis (1724)
Centre top row right:
William Halford
       
 


The Greville Monument

Sir Fulke Geville (1559) and his wife Elizabeth Willoughby de Broke, 3rd Baroness Willoughy de Broke (1562)
 
   




Sir Fulke Geville Soldier and MP. Knighted for his military service by Henry  VIII; campaigned in France and the suppression of the Pilgramage of Grace.
By Roylies of Burton on Trent (Dr Clive Easter)


BIRMINGHAM - CITY & SUBURBS
 
Birmingham - St Martin
Priest in choir vestments. Alabaster. Part of tomb chest
Aston - St Peter & St Paul
Knight of c. 1360. Alabaster Sir William Harcourt late 15th century.
 Tomb chest
Lady of c. 1490. Sandstone.
She lies on the same tomb chest as the 1360 knight, an amalgamation of the original two

Above left: Alabaster knight (c. 1360) (Ralph Arden ?) and above right Sandstone lady (c. 1490)
who now lie on the same tomb chest and who were both drawn by G. Hollis
 Joan (or Anne) Harcourt (1417) see below
Sir Thomas Erdington (1433) & Joan (or Anne) Harcourt (1417) The monument is c 1460 and of alabaster alabaster
 William Holt (1518) & Jane Sandstone

Sir William Harcourt. Late 15th century. This is very similar to that of Sir Thomas and the one drawn by G. Hollis. Below left is the row  of shield holding angels from the tomb chest. William Holt (1518) & Jane sandstone
Below right are the arms from the back panel.
Edward Brandwood (1731), daughter, Mary Birch (1755), Sarah Brandwood (1762), Samuel Birch (1775), Elizabeth Brandwood (1781), Charles Birch (1782), Jane Brandwood Richard Culliford Sir Thomas Holte (1654),
who built Aston Hall


Edgbaston - St Bartholomew

From left to right above: 1) Gabriel Jean Marie de Lys MD (1831) With his father he escaped The Terror and was educated in this country, a fact refered to on the epitaph. The motto means 'Flourish as the Lily' a word play on his name. He co-founded the Deaf and Dumb Institution in Edgsbaston. By William Hollins. 2) & 3) (detail)  Sir Richard Gough (1727) To the right is detail of the Boar's Head device which features on the weather vance of the Cathedral, in recognition of the family's generosity to that building. 4) Sir Henry Gough (1774). 5) Rt Hon Lord Calthorpe (1798) by King and Son of Bath. 6) John (1814) & Martha (1817) Ryland.
From right to left above: 1) & 2) Frances, Lady Calthorpe (1827) Widow of Henry, Lord Calthorpe; her arms are shown on the right 3) Georgiana Frances Sanders (1864) 4) Sarah (1843), Elizabeth (1855) & Joseph (1855) Shore
 5) Henry Porter & his son, William. Also Henry Porter (1710) & Sarah Porter (1724)
           
From right to left above: 1) Jenny (1853), Jane (1854), James Bracey (1860), Henry Bracey (1879), Ernest Wenman (1879), James William (1888), Marianne (1892), Frederick d'Arcy (1897) & Caroline Mary Perry (1922)
2) William Withering (1799)
Discoverer of Digitalis, writing a monograph on its use in heart disease. Note the symbol of medicine (snake and staff) and the flowering stem of Witheringia - named after him by the Linnaean Society in recognition of his botanical researches. By William Hollins 3)  Samuel Wheeley (1831) 4) Bernard Sheppard Heaton (1798), Bernard Sheppard Heaton (1803), Bernard Sheppard Heaton (died in infancy), Elizabeth, 2nd wife, (1811)
 5) Joseph (1816) & Mary (1841) Ledsam 6)
Robert (1830) & Elizabeth (1839) Smith. Daugher Henrietta Armitage (1826) Son Robert (1869) His sister Sarah

Coventry Cathedral
Coventry - an industrial centre - suffered heavy bombing during Word War II and the old cathedral was struck on 14th November 1940 during one of these bombing raids, leaving only a shell and the western tower and spire. The Cathedral was a cathedral of the Modern Foundation, the see being founded in 1919. At the Reformation it had been a parish church.

The Cathedral Church of St Michael, Coventry
The authorities decided to let the shell of the old cathedral stand, once rendered safe, rather than demolish the ruined church and rebuild it. It stands today as a reminder of the horrors and futility of war. A new cathedral was built on the site cleverly incoporatiog the old. The architect was Sir Basil Spence and the new cathedral was consecrated in 1962.The building is a triumph of 20th century architecture, truly magnificent. The linking of old to new is a remarkable and wonderful achievement.
There are no monuments in the New Cathedral but some fire damaged ones remain from the Old.
The is no charge for entry or photography. Park in the nearby public car park, sign posted Cathedral

Bishop Huyshe Wolcott-Yeatmann-Biggs (1845-1922)
Bronze. He was the first Bishop of Coventry holds a model of the old church. The monument survived the bombing with little damage.

    William Perkins (1821), his wife Leticia (1837) and daughters Mary & Leticia      
The first two images cannot be identified, nor can the fourth or last. The third is to William Perkins (1821), his wife Leticia (1837) and daughters Mary & Leticia; and the fifth, penultimate one is to Dame Mary Bridgeman and Mrs. Eliza Sawmill

A Clarification

The information above is not correct in the strictest sense: there was an earlier cathedral at Coventry: the Benedictine Priory of St Mary. This was one of the two seats of the Bishop of Coventry and Litchfield. At the Reformation this priory was dissolved and the seat moved to Litchfield only, although the title of Bishop of Coventry and Litchfield was retained until 1837, when  Coventry  was united with Worcester dicese. The new see was founded in 1919 as mentioned above.

Apologies about the small photographs: the originals were on the corrupted Philip's disc and inaccessible.

King's Norton
St Nicolas


Above & Centre: Sir Richard Gervis of Moseley (1632) & Lady Ann
Alabaster. Note the 4 sons and four daughters above; between is a poem 023 026 028

Top:
John Eden (1797 age 6 years, 6 months. Second son of Robert & Susanna Mynors. Also the above Robert Mynors (1806)
Bottom: Robert Edward Eden Mynors (1842) 033


Tysoe - Assumption

William Clarke (1618) A generous patron of the church

Mid 14th C coffin lid. Of the type where head and feet only appear, fitted into a cross

 Warwick - St Mary 
St Mary was a Collegiate church in the middle ages. It was partly destroyed - as was the town - by fire in 1693  but the chancel and Beauchamp chapel fortunately survived. The nave and tower were later rebuilt.

The Chancel






























         


 
 
 
Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick (1369) & Katherine Mortimer,daughter of the Earl of March.
Alabaster effigies and tomb chest. Against tomb chest are mourners, many of which are plaster or part plaster replacements.
He was the grandfather of Richard Beauchamp and fought at Crécy and Poitiers.
 

The Beauchamp Chapel


Left: Entrance to the Chapel.  Right: Interior of Chapel
Above: Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick


Above from left to right: Alice Montague, Ann Beauchamp, Ann Neville, Cecily Neville, Edmund Beauford, Eleanor Beauchamp, Elizabeth Beauchamp, Henry Duke of Warwich, Humphret Stafford, John Talbot, Margaret Beauchamp, Richard, Earl of Salibury, Richard Neville

Richard Beauchamp, 13th Earl of  Warwick (1439)

   Above are photographs of  the whole of the Beauchamp Chapel taken from the entrance, and several representations of the magnificent gilt-bronze effigy, the whole tomb and the weepers around the Purbeck Marble tomb chest of the monument of Richard Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick , who died in 1439.The etchings of the effigy and the weepers are by C A Stothard and the steel plate engraving of the whole tomb is by E. Blore. Charles Stothard lifted the effigy from the tomb chest (clearly with help and permission) and drew the dorsal aspect of the effigy, which caanot normally be seen; his etching shows that the armour was represented accurately in every details as in the other aspects of the effigy.

    The 1448 contract for making this tomb survives: it indicates that it is not a portrait and refers to the following who were involved in its making: John Bourde of Corfe supplied the Purbeck Marble, William Austen of London cast the metal, John Massingham, carver, made the model, Bartholomew Lambespring, goldsmith, polished and gilded the effigy; one Roger Webb is also referred to in this contract but it is not known what his role was in the construction. A separate contract of the following year indicating William Austen was to cast the effigy, as above. A third contract of 1453 is for brass plates for the lid, sides and the hearse; in this contract  John Essex of London , marbler and Thomas Stevyns of London, coppersmith, also appear with William Austen, as above.

  The monument consists of a cast gilt bronze effigy in armour on a Purbeck marble tomb chest. The Earl's hands are held in a curious separated position. His head rests on his helmet with crest of a swan and his feet on both a bear and griffin. The details of the armour are very fine. Charles Stothard lifted the effigy down from the tomb chest to draw its dorsal surface where the armour is again shown in very fine detail, even here where it cannot be seen. Over the whole is a hooped framework - the 'hearse' referred to above; this would have supported a fabric cover and only be removed when masses were said for his soul. Around the tomb chest are gilt bronze 'mourners' - seven male and seven female. One of these represents his son, Henry who became Duke of Warwick, another his wife Cecily Neville (daughter of the Earl of Salisbury) and another her brother Richard Neville, who inherited the Beauchamp estatesand became 'Warwick the Kingmaker'.

   Richard Beauchamp fought with Henry IV and Henry V and was guardian of the infant Henry VI. At the time of his death he was Governor of Normandy.

Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick
(1589)
Alabaster and marble. The effigy rests on a rolled up map, but with a 18th century iron coronet.His feet rest on a bear
He was the elder brother of Robert Dudley . 'The Good Earl'

By: William Cure (Dr Clive Easter)


                                   
Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester (1588) & Countess Lettice (1634) Alabaster.    By Hollemans (Dr Clive Easter) Grille by Nicholas Paris of Warwick, 1716.
Robert Dudley was the well known favourite of Queen Elizabeth I
The wooden tablet to Lettice Knollys, the Earl's second wife, is made to look like brass. The inscription tells us she died on Christmas Day 

Lady Katherine Leveson
Marble Tablet
by Edward Marsall (1678) 



Robert Dudley, Lord Denbigh (1584 age 3)
 Alabaster, note the bear at his feet.
He was Robert and Lettice's only son and predeceased his father.

Called 'The Noble Impe'





Chapter House North Vestry
Fulke Greville, Lord Brooke (1628)
Six poster with two tiers of black columns. Black sarcophagus. Above left is view of whole tomb from vestry; right  is view of sarcophagus from far side. This monuments fills the former chapter house and cannot be photographed in its entirety.
By Thomas Ashby
Francis Parker (1693)
Tablet with columns and open pediment.By Stanton (Clive Easter)
Sir Thomas Puckering
(1639)   
Altar tomb and reredos in black and white marble. By Nicholas Stone
North Transept South Transept
Thomas Hewett (1737)
Note the putti  reclining on the 'broken' pediment and the pile of books below
Thomas Oken (1573)
Brasses but the surround is later
Henry Beaufoy & Wife
(c 1700)
Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick (1401) & Wife
Brasses, now set high on wall. He was father of Richard Beauchamp, was exiled by Richard II in 1397 but restored by Henry IV in 1399
John Gibson (1693)
Note the skeleton emerging from a shroud in and on the pediment
William Hiorn (1776)
Architect-builder.







Left top: Walter Savage Landor (1864)
Left bottom:Francis Hiorn FSA (1789) Son of William above
Right top: Alexander Campbell (1869)
Right bottom:
William Johnson MD (1733)
Above is a series of wall monuments which have not been individually noted

Other Monuments

Elizabeth, Lady Latimer (1480) daughter og Richard Beaucham0, Earl of Warwick
George Neville, Lord Latimer (1469) husband of the above
Oliver Dudley (1460) son of Elizabeth, Lady Latimer. Killed at the Battle of Edgecote
William Parr (1571) Marquis of Northampton
Katherine Beauchamp Eldest daughter of Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick
The above brasses date only from 1950

To the right: Stone coffin lid (very deep) with head in low relief sunk in quatrefoil and Calvary Cross below. Not in situ ; now in crypt

There are many grave stones in the floor and two burial vaults lead off, one sealed.

Maria Home (1834)
For 60 years housekeeper at Warwick Castle. White scoll on black base
Mrs Jane Farnhill (1840) Servant at Warwick Castle. White tablet surmounted by a cross, on pedimented black base.

Wooton Wawen - St Peter

Alabaster. Early 15th Century

John Hartwell (1505)
 

Francis Smith (1605)

William Somervile (1676) George Henry Capewell Hughes (1906) Robert Somervile (1705) Also his wife Elizabeth (Wolsely), and their 5th son, Rev Dr Edward Somervile (1734) Hon Henry Knight (1762) and his sister, Henrietta (1763). She married three times but the first marriage is not mentioned on the monument.; she ran away from her first husband and the marriage ended in divorce. Her second husband pre-deceased her. John Phillips (1836)
(Above and below)

More Monuments
Catherina Page (Knight) (1736) and Margaretta Vase (Page) Daughters of Robert and Martha Knight

 
 
With thanks to a number of people who have taken photographs for this page: Ms Sally Badham FSA, Dr John Davis, Amanda Miller, Jean McCreanor and afew were taken by the Webmaster
The etchings are by C. Stothard and T & G  Hollis, and the engravings by E. Blore
 
<Top of Page> <Home - Index - Page>