Cheam-The Lumley Chapel   East Horsley  Egham Guildford Stoke d'Aberdon  Horley  Lingfield Mersham  West Horsley

Cheam - The Lumley Chapel     
The Lumley Chapel is in the church yard of St Dunstan's Church. It dates from 1018 and was originally the chancel of the medieval church of which it is the only remaining part; in the 1580's John Lord Lumley converted it into a memorial chapel for his family. St Dunstan's itself is Victorian and described as 'Large and dull'.
The Chapel is locked but the key may be obtained from Whitehall, a nearby Tudor cottage, or from St Dunstan's Church office during working hours. There is a small deposit to pay for this key.
The Chapel is in the care of The Churches' Conservation Trust

Monument of Jane Fitzallen, Lady Lumley (1577)

It consists of three alabaster panels and was designed in 1590 but is incomplete
Charles & Thomas Jane Fitzallen Lady Lumley (1577) Mary

Monument of Elizabeth Darcy, Lady Lumley (1603)

The monument was made in 1592, before her death in 1603.
A very good alabaster.

  Monument to John Lord Lumley (1609)  

John, Lord Lumley was the builder of the chapel. The photographs show the monument itself and details of the heradry from it.

A Series of Medieval

Above Far left: Ralph de Cheyham (1390) Then top row left to right: 1) Civilan (c. 1390) demi-figure.  2 & 3)  John (1450) & Joan (1458) Compton demi-figures  4)  William Woodward (1459)  demi-figure
Bottom row left: Palimpsest reusing a 15th century brass. Note the part of a lady's figure at the base and.right: Thomas Fromonde (1542)& family

Heraldic brasses

Frances Peirson (1693) aged 2 years, 8 months. 'Five foot &A Half North from this pillar lies Interrd' James (1695) & Margaretta (1714) Bovey Samuel (1719) & Ann (1728)Pierson; her mother Mary Elsey (1697). Their daughter's monument is to the far left. Francis Roger Francis (1688)

Ann Lady Fletcher (1791) Widow of Brig-Gen Sir Robert Fletcher Knt Fanny Maria Davenport (1796) John Kempson (1799 age77); his wife Mary (1800 age 50); their son Edward (1777 age 21); and 2 sons and 3 daughters (unamed) who died in infancy. Maria Sanxay (1777), her brother, Edmund Antrobus (1787), her husband, Edmund Sanxay (1787) & their youngest daughter, Mary Sanxay (1788) Martha Pybus (1802), Charles Small Pybus (1810) (possibly her son) Thomas (1765) & Jane (1799) Dubois. Their daughter, Sarah Smith (Dubois) (1799)  & her husband, Capt Charles Smith (1826) & thier daughter Sarah (1817)
Sir Joseph Yates (1770) Judge  Leonard Hammond (1787) & hiswife Mary (1795)

Mary Thornbury (1844) Henry Thomas, 4th Earl of Carrick & Visc. Ikerrin (1846 age 12) Charles Lord Stourton, Baron of Stourton (1753) John Pybus (1789) Public servant in India. He married Martha and they had 2 sons and 6 daughters but only the dates of death of the latter are given: Catharine (1756 infant), Anne (1791), Martha (1788), Margaret-Clive (1761 infant), Elizabeth (infant), Catharine-Amelia (1776) Philip Antrobus (1816) & Sir Edmund Antrobus Bart (1826)

 'In the Vault beneath, near the Body of of the honored Father of her Huſband...' Hon.ble Charlotte Yates (1802) Daughter of John late Lord St John of Bletsoe. Clement Kynnersley (1813) & daughter Maria (1800)  John Antrobus (1813) Top: Rev Henry Peach (1813 aged 72) 35 years rector of this parish. And his wife Jane (1804 age50); their children: Edward (1806 age 17), Amelia Catherine (1820 aged 24) & H.y Edm.d (1835) John Agnew (1812)

East Horsley - St Martin

 Robert Brantingham (c 1400)  'Hic iacet Robertus Brentyngham, Frater Reverendi Patris Thome' Thomas & Jone Snelling Their brasses are lost but 8 sons and 5 daughters remain as well as the inscription: 'Of your charity pray for the soules of Thomas Snellinge late of the parishe of East Horsley and Jone his wife which Thomas deceased the xxviii day of May in the yere of our lorde MCCCCCIIII. and for the soules of the faders and maders of the foresaid Thomas and Jone with all thyre childerne on those sowlys Almyghty Jhu have mercy Amen.' John (1498) & Alice Snelling. 'Pray for the sawlis of john snellying and alys hys wyfe the whych descecyd the vii day of ffevery in the yer of our lorde MC CCC LXXXXVIII on whose sawlis god have mercy'

  The Cornwallis Monument
James ffox (1753)      

Monument to Thomas (1597) & Katheryn Cornwallis (1626), who lie recumbent,  and to their two sons, Robert & Henry, who kneel at he head and foot of the tomb adjacent to their father.  Does a daughter (beheaded now) kneels at the side of her fathers pillow? Above are the Cornwallis arms. Alabaster. The inscription reads:

'Here lyeth ye bodi of Thomas Cornwallis esq sometime penrioner and groom porter unto Queen Eliazabeth of Blessed Memory.
The Lady Katheryn his wife one of the daughters of Thomas Wryothesly Earle of Southampton and Lord Chancellor of England.
They had issu 2 sons the eldest Robert who dyed in France above ye age of 20 years, ye young Henry who dyed betwixt 2 and 4 years old. They were married together about 30 and after his decease she lived a widow a full 30 years and upwards and died on Aug 1626 of ye age of 85 years.'

Egham - St John the Baptist
The church was rebuilt in the Georgan style about 1812; original charch dated from 1150
Central so may be parking problems

Far left: Lady Cecily Denham (1612) & Lady Eleanor Denham (ND) Sir John's first and second wives. Near left: Sir John Denham (1638) He rises from his grave on Judgement Day. Below is an array os skeletons: one is Lady Dehham still recumbent in her shroud and above her is Denham himself with a dead face. Latin inscription about resurrection but Sir John is not named. Above left: Sarah Honywood (1750) aged 7.  Above right: Lt Col Felton Elwill Bathust Hervey  Bart CB &c &c &c (1819) 14th Regt of Dragoons.

Guildford - St Nicolas
St Nicolas is one of several churches in Guildford, including a modern cathedral. The church is on the left bank of the River Wey, next to Friary Bridge.This monument is in the Loseley Chapel which has at times been subjected to bad flooding from the RiverWey. St Nicholas was built in the 1870's, replacing a church of only thirty years earlier, which itself replaced the medieval church. The Loseley Chapel is south of the main building and the monument is against the south wall. It was moved to the present position from the main body of the church.

Arnald Brocas (1395), Rector. He wears the 'processional vestments' of a priest. The arms on the shields on the tomb chest are from left to right: a lion rampant with a bordure engrailed; quarterly: a lion rampant,   two lions passant in pale, two lions passant in pale, a lion rampant with a label; a lion rampant with a bordure; same as second shield (without label); a lion rampant.
The inscription is of brass with raised Gothic lettering. Most are intact but the missing ones have been painted onto the stone. It reads:
Hic iacet Magi' Arnald[us] Brocas baculari' ut'usque iu'us Canonic' lincolñ 't welñ 't qūdam Rector isti' loci obiit in uiglã [As] sǔpcoiš bě [Marie Anno domini millesimo ccc nonagesimo quinto]
(Here lies Master Arnald Brocas bachelor of each law Canon of Lincoln and Wells and Rector of this place who died on the vigil of Blessed Mary in the Year of the Lord a thousand three hundred and ninety-five.
This Arnald Brocas was the son of a man of the same name and brother to Bernard Brocas, and before entering the church was married to Alice Sidney and had one known child, Thomas, who was MP for Guildford. He gained two degrees of M.A., B.CL., and B.Cn.L. He was rector of Ash in Surrey (c. 1358-68), rector of Whippingham, Isle of Wight (1362-65), chaplain of Whipstrode until 1366 which he exchanged for the prebend of St Decumen in Wells, rector of Worpleston (1374-87) which he resigned for St Nicholas, where he was instituted 7th May 1387. Prebend of Wherewell Abbey until 1393, which he exchanged for the prebend of Gratton in Lincolnshire. In royal service he was Clerk of the King's Works (1381) and Chamberlain of the Exchequer in 1388. He died 14th August 1395.

Other Monuments
1. John Knowles (1741) Rococco cartouche
2. Sir William Moore (1600) and his wife. Effigies on tomb chest
3. Kneeler monument (?)
4. As above
5. 17th and 18th small tablets
Lost Medieval Monuments
1. Bernard de Brocas (1368). Rector. Altar tomb with brass of priest with two armorial shields and inscription
2. Thomas Calcott (1497) Rector. Brass of priest with scroll issuing from his mouth and inscription
3. Ralph Lepton (1527) Rector. Brass in marble slab with figure, arms of Lepton of York and inscription
4. Jane Cooke (1517) Brass fixed to marble slab, with inscription and portrayal of The Holy Trinity.
All these insciptions have been recorded.

Other churches in Guildford with monuments are:
1. Holy Trinity (High Street) Monuments and brasses from the mid  17th to late 18th centuries.
2. St John the Evangelist, Stoke. A lot of early 19th century tablets.
3. St Mary (Quarry Street) A 15th century brass

Horley - St Bartholemew

Ralph Salaman (1343-44) ?
The effigy and slab lie on a modern stone chest between the chancel and the north chapel.

The effigy, and especially the armour, present some unusual features. The legs are uncrossed so this an early example of this feature  after the crossed legged period but before the period of straight legs again at the beginning of the use of plate armour. The feet rest on a lion but the head rests on a single pillow which is not supported by the usual angels. The now smaller shield, on which is carved in relief a large double headed eagle on which there is a lion's head, is attached by a belt which passes over the right shoulder.  The left hand rest on this shield but the right hand and upper part of the unsheathed sword, which the hand would have held, are both broken off. The scabbard is held on the left hand side by a further belt passing diagonally across the body. A dagger is attached by a chain to a narrow third belt which passes around the waist.

A tight fitting surcoat is worn but this is shortened at the front (so we can see underlying layers of the armour) and laced at the side. Below this is the 'coat of plates' of which we can see the rivet heads which head the several metal plates to the garment of linen or leather, the mail coat which comes to a point between the legs, and then, finally, the 'aketon', a quilted garment. The arms are protected by two layers of mail: the outer ends at the elbow and the inner hangs loosely at mid forearm level; Between the latter and the gauntlets a close fitting scale like garment can be seen. There are two ornamental staples, one of either side of the chest and presumably attached to the coat of plates below the surcoat, to which are attached two further chains, one of which holds the sword itself and the other would have held helm. Ornamental discs are strapped to the elbows and shoulders. The thighs are protected by padded garment and the legs by mail stockings

I was unable to photograph this effigy from above as it is quite high and it did not have a suitable camera or lens at the time. I will post a drawing of the above view shortly, so the details described above can be seen.

Lady (c. 1400). 3/4 life size.
Civilian male; late 14th century.

Lingfield - St Peter & St Paul
Formerly a Collegiate Church

Reginald, 1st Lord Cobham (1361)

His head rests on a helm with a crest of a fierce looking Moor's head, supported by two angles; his feet on  Saracen.
He fought is the early part of the Hundred Years, Way under Edward III and the Black Prince.

Sir Reginald Cobham (1446) and his second wife, Anne (Bardolf)
Alabaster. He rests his head on his helm with a Moor's head crest, she on a pillow. At the feet are a sea-wolf and a wyvern.

Other Monuments
1. Altar tomb with tester; no inscription etc but said to be Sir Thomas Cobham (1471)
2. Francis Howard (1695)
Baroque cartouche
3. Mary Howard (1718) Wife of the above. Similar Baroque cartouche.
4. JohnSwetecote (1469) Brass of priest; small, demi-figure.
5. James Veldon (1458) Brass of priest; small, demi-figure.
6. Unknown girl, small brass, no inscription
7. Reginald, 2nd Lord Cobham (1403) and his first wife, Eleanor (1420). Brass, he life size, she 3/4 life size. Inscription. On table tomb.
8. Katherine Stoker (1420) Brass; small demi-figure.
9. Elizabeth second wife of Sir Reginald, probably. Brass, full length. The upper part is a nineteenth century restoration but very good.
10. Now on north wall.  Figure under a canopy. Foreign, c. 1530. Brass technique but made of encaustic tiles.

Mersham - St Katherine

Nicolas Jamys (Mid 15th Century) Left

This effigy of a civilian was found face down in the north chapel of the church, the underpart of the base being used as a paving slab. The upper effigy part had been cut down so it could be used for this purpose; note the rough chisel cuts. Note the purse hanging from his belt. Angels holding a pillow under his head can just be made out as can an eagle on which he rests his feet. His daughter married John Elinebrygge and their brasses can be seen in the church

Other Monuments

1. Lt Woodhouse (1916) Brass
2. John Elingbridge (1473) Brass on tomb chest; his central figure is gone but those of his wives on either side remain.
3. Lt George Jolliffe RN (1797)  Tablet. He was killed on the Bellerophon at the Battle of the Nile

Other brasses.
Stoke d'Abernon - St Mary
The church is in the grounds of a private school and is open during the summer on Sundays 2.00 - 4.00 pm.
Parking is in the lane.


Far left and left top(detail) Sir John d'Abernon the Elder (1277) The inscription reads: 'sir Johan Daubernovn chivaler gist icy Dev de sa Alme eyt mercy' (Here lies Sir John d'Abernon, knight. God have mercy on his soul. Amen'.)

Left bottom (detail): Detail of the above

Right and below right:  Sir John d'Abernon the Younger (1327), son of the above. His inscription is mainly lost but the fragments read: '...ici...g...eit merci... which was probably the same as that of his father.

These are very beautiful brasses and very well worth seeing.

Note particularly the development of the armour. Note in the later effigy the solid plates strapped onto the arms, elbows, shoulders, legs and knees as well as jointed plates on the feet. The surcoat is cut short at the front, showing that the mail shirt has a padded garment below and a garment with small plates attached. There is some ornamentation as well as practicallity in the armour.

An Important Note on Dates

The dates of death for the two Sir John d'Abernons, father and son, given above are the conventional dates that are usually given. The  armour of the second Sir John (1327) is more complex and advanced than anything seen on Continental Europe at the same time and this has given rise to the rather curious belief that the English knight was far better equipped than his Continental counterpart. The dating of these effigies has been the base for dating of other effigies where the identity of the commemorated is unknown.

The dating of the early military brasses was first questioned as long ago as the mid sixties by Miss Jennifer C Ward when discussing the brass of Sir Robert Bures at Acton, Suffolk in 'Sir Robert Bures', Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society, X (1963-8). Subsequently Dr John Blair suggested that the earlier - 1277 - figure was amore likely that of  the later - 1327 - figure, that is Sir John the Younger; and that the later - 1327 - figure was that of yet another Sir John who died between 1335 and 1350. This redating can be confirmed by examining  the effigy of John of Eltham (1337), in Westminster Abbey, whose dates and name are known for certain. This revised dating now puts the armour of the English effigies in line with those in Continental Europe.

A. V. B. Norman Two Early Fourteen Century Military Effigies (Journal of the Church Monuments Society, Vol I, Part 1. 1985)

Katherine Vincent (1654).  
Above far left: 
John Proud (1497) Rector 'Hic jacet Johen Prowd isti ecclic de quat/Rector ecclie de esthorsley qui obiit non die octobr A di MCCCCLXXXVII cujus as ppciet d'amen,' The figure is a replica of the lost originalAbove near left and (detail) centre: Lady Anna Norbury (1464) 'Hic jacet dna Anna Norbury nup ux Henrici Norbury milit/ ac filia Willi Croyser qu' dam dni hi loci que obiit XII die II Octobr anno dni MCCCCIXIII cui ai'e ppciet due ame.' Note the four sons and four daughters in the folds of her skirt. These children can be seen in the full length figure and are shown in detail in the next photograph.  Above near right:  Rev Sir Frederick Vincent Bt (1883) Also his second wife Maria  Copley (1899) Buried at Esher, Surrey.  Far right:    Ellen Bray  (1516)  'Pray for the soule of Elyn bray dawter of S Edmond Bray Knyght and Jane hys wyfe whice Elyn dyed ye XVI day of Maij A M V XVI.' Baby in swadling clothes. The cross on her forehead indicates she was baptised.
   Right: Thomas Fyfield. The brass (see below)

Effigial Monuments

Sarah Vincent (1608)
She was the daughter of Amyas Paulet (jailer of Mary Queen of Scots) and first wife of Francis Vincent by whom she had nine children, who kneel below her effigy: Anthony, Amyas, Thomas, Elizabeth, Margaret,  Francis, Amyas, Edward and William; she died giving birth to the latter.

'here lie in dust five signal virtues - strange that one sepulchre can hold them all! more strange that a single Sarah could exhibit them!
In one thing was our Sarah less than Abraham's. her days were few yet in all else true sarah, she has reached in paradise the bosom of a second Abraham all that of her was mortal rests where she as mortal prayed.'

Above: Part of child's effigy; this may be just part of a lost monument.
Sir John Norbury (1521) He founded the Norbury Chapel in 1485 after the Battle of Bosworthy; his original tomb was destroyed and this one constructed in 1633. The original and present inscriptions are recorded below. Compare the speling and sentiment of these two inscriptions.   Sir Thomas (1613) & Jane Vincent (1619)  The inscription is recorded below 
Details of Inscriptions on the Above Monuments 

Inscription on Vincent Tomb

'In obitum clarassimi viri Thomas Vincenti equitis avarti qui vitam comuntavit 14 10 An An Dni 1613 Aetatis 70 epicedium
'Time yet blotts out ye actions of ye good is fitt with watchfull care to be withstood which to prevent is offerd to your view no poets fantasie heers nought but true his bodie here ye earth doth thus inclose his purer soule in heaven hath repose religious and true zeale in him did breed due care to cloath ye poore and hungrie feed well tempered justice with sinceritie love to the good. the ill severitie with many moe such virtues now not rife did him possesse while he injoyde this life he fimrely praying said his last Amen is crownd by God and much renownd with men Vincet qui patitur.
'In obitum illustrissimae foeminae Jane Vincent uxoris Thomae Vincent equitis avarti quae ex hac vita comigravit 23 Jan An Dni 1619
'If to be wise, vertuous, and good be ye prime ornaments of noble bloud. If these be ensignes of a royall minde thow adst and lustre to thy sex and kinde these free born graces, ye were once in fee make us now happy in thy memory who though translated to transcendent glory livst fresh to us in this sublimed story we know in heav'n thou hast a glorious name yet wee'l in honour here preserve thy fame in spight of death; whose greedy envious eye aymes at us below, and not at thee on hie.'

Original Inscription on Norbury Tomb
'thye chauntre fwndyt bye John Norbery/ The fyrst prest was sit John pynnoke truly/ Under thys ston heth bred hys body/ Of whose soule jhu have mercy/ he depttyd owt of thys warlde and from us is gon/ In the yere of our lorde m v twenty and on/ The fyrst day of the monthe of August/ In the marce of jhu crist he puttys all hys trust: amen.'
Present Inscription
'Neere this place  lieth the interd body of ye noble knight Sir John Norbury  who was both Lord of this manor and founder of this Chapell: In rememberance and honour of whom his oulde monument beinge by injury of time demolish Sir Francis Vincent knight and Baronette linearly descended from him hath erected this Anno  1633.' 

Non-Effigial & Wall
Far left: Captain Thomas Smith RN (1847)
Frederick Abbiss Phillips (1908)
Above: Hugh Smith (1831)
Sir Edgar Vincent (1941)
Far Right: Sir Francis Vincent (1735) and other family members
 Left:   Richard le Petit (1240)  Above Left:Thomas Lyfield (1588) The monument incorporated a brass, shown above   Above centre:  Mary Jane Phillips (1842)  Above right:  Sir Edward Vincent (1905) 

Further Information on the Above Monuments
Richard le Petit
Under the archway bewteen two chapels is the tomb of the first recorded rector, Richard le Petit who died in 1240. The insciption on his slab translates as  'Sir Richard the Little, formerly parson of this church, lies here, Jesus Christ receive his soul'
Lady Frances Lyfield (Bray)
'Here lieth buried the body of Frances the wife of Thomas Lyfelde esquire owner of this manor of Stoke Dawborne in the county of Surrey...' There then follows detailed genealogical information attempting to go back to the Norman Conquest but which gives us no further information about Lady Frances.
Sir Edgar Vincent
'Here rest the ashes of Sir Edgar Vincent 1st Viscount d'Abernon FRS and 16th Baronet. Soldier Scholar Member of Parliament Ambassador to Germany 1920-1926. His fine presence and far reaching intellect his wit and wisdom illuminated all he said and did and entiched the lives of his friends.
'He died on All Saints Day 1941 in the 85th year of his age.'

Sir Francis Vincent

'To the memory of Sir Francis Vincent Bart who died in 1735 aged 90 years and Dame Rebecca his wife, she died in 1726 aged 80 years, and of  Sir Francis Vincent Bart who died in 1757 aged 72.
'And of Dame Elizabeth his wife who died in 1751 aged 66. And of Elizabeth first wife of the present Sir Francis Vincent who died on the 22nd Nov 1744 in the 25th year of her age.
'And of Francis their son who died young
'And of Dame Mary Vincent his second wife who died 16th August 1757. She was daughter of the Hon Lieu General Howard of Great Bookham in this county by whom she had four sons Francis, Henry, Dormer, George and Thomas and one daughter Mary. George died before her.
'The present Sir Francis Vincent has erected this monument as a small tribute of his affection and gratitude in 1762'
Frederick Abbiss Phillips
'He tried to make the humble glad' Also his wife Frances Elizabeth (1925), his son Noel McGigor (1943) and his daughter Norah Locan (1945)
Mary Jane Phillips
'Sacred to the memory of Mary Jane, widow of William Phillips esq who died at Stoke d'Abernon House July 18th 1842 aged 52 and whose remains are deposited in a vault on the south side of this church yard.
'This tablet is erected by her affectionate and grateful children in rememberance of a most devoted mother, "who being dead yet speaketh"'
Captain Thomas Smith RN
'In a vault neat this spot lie the reamins of Captain Thomas Smith, Royal Navy, of Woodlands in this parish. Youngest son of the late Hugh Smith esq of Stoke House who departed this life September 19th 1847 aged 57 years. This sacred memorial is erected as a small tribute of affectionate devotion by his deeply afflicted widow.
'And his widow Isabella Smith b 6th August 1798. died 26th August 1884.'
Sir Edward Vincent
'The clock in the tower of this church was erected to the loving memory his grateful brother Sir Edgar Vincent.
Hugh Smith (1831) wall mounted sarcophagus. Snake biting tail on the lid.

West Horsley - St Mary

Other Monuments

1. Sir Edward Nicholas (1669) Large tomb without figures; said to be by Grinling Gibbons
2. Sir John Nicholas (1704)
3. John Kendal (1750)
Invt.  Et. Sculpt. Nicholas Read

Ralph de Berners (1377) Assistant priest, in mass vestments although the maniple is not shown. The head rests on two angels lying back  to back, although the one against the wall has not been fully carved. The effigy has remarkable large and protruding ears

With many thanks to Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade for many of the above photographs and to Richard Collier for the photographs from Egham.
The Webmaster took a few of the photographs and executed the drawings
<Top of Page  >   <Home - Index - Page