OXFORDSHIRE
Adderbury  Asthall  Bloxam  Brize Norton  Broughton  Brightwell Baldwin  Burford  Checkendon Cogges  Deddington  Dorchester Abbey  Ewelme  Fulbrook  Great Haseley  Great Milton  Great Tew   Hampton Poyle Kencot Lewknor Minster Lovel  North Leigh  Northmoor Nuffield  Oxford Cathedral  Shipton-under-Wychwood Skelton Wiggington   Spelsbury 
 
Stanton Harcourt  Steeple Ashton  Steeple Barton   Swinbrook Thame   Waterperry Witney  Yarnton

Adderbury - St Mary
Thomas Moore (1586) & Wife Painted wooden panel
Asthall - St Nicholas
14th C effigy of a lady, probably Lady Joan Cornwall, who owned the manor the middle of that century. Heraldry in window is that of the Cornwalls
Bloxam - St Mary



Sir John Thornycroft (1725)
by Andrew Carpenter (signed)

Brize Norton - St Britius



 

John Daubyngy (1346)  Note the unusual design of this monument, the incription, the shields and the helmet. Photographs of the upper half, full length and a plan drawing.
Broughton - St Mary

Alabaster effigies on fragmentary tomb chest with lost canopy. They do not belong together: look at the collars, for example. He is said to be
Sir Thomas Wyke (1470): she is unknown but earlier 15th century.
Brightwell Baldwin
St Batholomew
John Cottesmore (1439) & Wife
Burford - St John the Baptist



Lord Chief Justice Tanfield (1625) & Family. Erected by his Wife in 1628 & attrib. to Gerard Christmas. Alabaster and black marble.








Far left is a wide angle view of the monument while left and above show various details. The recumbent effigies are, of course. of the judge and his wife; at the head of the monument (far left) kneels a  figure of their daughter, Elizabeth. At the foot of the monument kneels their grandson,  Lucius Cary, 2nd Lord Falkland, who is somewhat incongruously flanked by a demi-figure of Lady Tanfield and a heraldic device. In the lower stage lies just one skeleton with a long neck and oddly shaped skull.







Left top:
Left bottom:
Unidentified c 1500
Above:
Richard Rainolds (1582)
Right top: J
ohn Spicer (1427) & Wife The inscription - in verse records their gift of a rood loft, now gone, and a 'gabled window' to the church.
Right bottom
15th C tomb chest with brass matrix; unknown
Above: John Harris (1674)
Right:
Christopher Kempster (1715)
Next right:
John Osbaldeston (1624) & Wife 
Far right:
Edward Harman (1569) & Wife.   Curiously only the children are shown in effigy

There are many more munuments in the church
Checkendon - St Peter & St Paul

Far left: Anne Bowett (1490)
Next left: Richard Braybrooke (1629) & Wife
Left & above:
Walter Beauchamp (c. 1430) Whole brass with image, inscription and arms and detail of his souls being taken on heaven by two angels
Cogges - St Mary

The Blake Monument (William (1695), Sara (1701) & Francis (1691) 3 marble busts under pediment Lady of the 13th century on tomb chest.
Deddington - St Peter & St Paul

 

Left: William Byllyng (1533) & Wife
Most of the brasses - except for the inscription are lost

Above:
An Unknown Judge (14th Century)
Dorchester-on-Thames
Abbey Church of St Peter & St Paul
The church is usually open. No charge. You can park in a free small car park just across the road from the church; toilets there too, although best avoided.
O/S Ref: SU 580 942

Medieval Effigies



Above
& Left: Knight of c 1280. Said to be William de Valance 1282. The base is modern

Right & Below Centre Right: Knight c. 1400. Alabaster. Segrave arms; said to be Hugh Segrave 1387. The tomb chest with blank shields does not belong.



Above Far Left & Centre Left Top: Unknown bishop early 14th C

Who can this be? Dorchester Abbey is not a cathedral although it was in in Anglo-Saxon times until the first Norman bishop, Remigius,  moved the see to Lincoln in 1072-73; Dorchester then continued as a church of secular canons until it was refounded by Bishop Alexander of Lincoln as a Augustinian Abbey. This may be a retrospective effigy of a bishop of Dorchester or, less likely, of a bishop from another see. See below brass matrices.

Above Centre Left Bottom, Far Right & Directly Right:
Judge John de Stonor (1354) The tomb chest displays the Stonor arms

 

 
Shrines, Coffins & Tablets





Left: Shrine of St . Birinus A new and magnificent marble shrine of marble was constructed in 1330. This was destroyed at the Reformation but fragments were found  in the 19th century as part of the masonry  blocking a doorway . These fragments were reused in the construction of the present shrine, designed by F Russell Cox in 1964.
Above:
Excavated coffins of abbots on display in the cloisters
Near Right:
John Sheen (1804) & Elizabeth (1809)/Mary Elizabeth Sheen (1822) Daughter of Nathaniel & Margaret Sheen.
Centre Right:
Alderman Richard Sheen (1846)/ 'To the memory of Nathaniel Sheen who died 11th April 1823 aged 38 years. Also Margaret Elizabeth daughter of Nathaniel and Margaret who died 3rd July 1828 aged 33 years. Also Margaret his wife who died July 28th 1838 aged 77 years' (some errors here!) / Helen Fanny Lancester (n/d) wife of Henry George Lancaster Vicar 1929-1957
Far Right: Thomas Latham (1822) & Thomas Latham (1843) / Edwin Harry Huzzy (1962) churchwarden, treasurer, assistant organist and clerk to the parish council
Brasses & Matrices

Abbot Richard Beauforest (c. 1510) Inscription in English Unknown Female (c. 1490) Unknown Ecclesiastic Unknown Female and Male Civilian. Someone clearly likes lopping off ladies' heads! Sir John Drayton (1417) & Wife
Matrix: Male Civilian & Female Matrix: Male Civilian & Female;
Shield and rivets remain
  Matrix - knight late 14th C Matrix: hand holding a bishops' crook. Again could be retrospective memorial to Anglo-Saxon bishop
Crosses & Ledger Stones

Cross slab: low relief Cross: brass matrix Mrs Agnes Clerke (1661)

Mrs Anne Carleton (1669)  Died in childbirth 5th September, giving birth to here first child at 23. Also 'first borne' THO: CARLETÕ: died 14th December following

Note: There are a number of stones, particularly in the nave, which have been long used as paving slabs and are consequently very worn; these include matrices, incised slabs, ledger stones and grave stones brought in from the churchyard. Some of these are covered by fixtures and fittings, one is even lies underneath by the feet of a grand piano. These really should be recorded  (I did not have the time it would take) and any worthy ones protected from further wear and damage.

Ewelme - St Mary
Church is normally open. You may park on the road outside the church. Very attractive village
Alice de la Pole (Chaucer), Duchess of Suffolk. (1475)


Above: Tomb from the chancel
Centre top: Tomb from the chapel
Center bottom: Close up of the effigy
Far Left: Close up of head of effigy
Below left: Tomb and effigy from chancel
Below right: Tomb and effigy from chapel






Above:
Head of cadaver effigy in lower stage
Right: Paintings in lower part of tomb
Alabaster. Inside the open arcading of the lower part of the tomb chest is a cadaver effigy, which can just be seen, and painted on the ceiling above this are the figures of St Mary Magdalene, John the Baptist and the Annunciation. Much of the colouring on the tomb chest is original. The chest has been shortened at the west; it is said to have originally stood in the chancel and been moved to the present position and the canopy added in the later 15th century.

Alice was the granddaughter of Geoffrey Chaucer the Poet and her husband was William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk. The latter was a favourite of Henry VI and became the principal power behind the throne on his return to England from the French wars. He was blamed for failures of the government and the loss of the French possessions which led to his impeachment by the Commons. He was pardoned by Henry VI and sent into exile. However the ship which carried him was intercepted by another, St Nicholas of the Tower; he was captured and taken aboard where he was subjected to a mock and mocking trial. He was then taken aboard a small boat and beheaded by 'three strokes of a rusty sword'. His body was thrown overboard and washed up on the shore; the incident is recorded in an old English ballad collected by Francis Childs. He was buried, not at Wingfield as often stated, but at Hull. However there is no monument.
Thomas Chaucer (1434) & Matilda (Burghersh) (1436) Table tomb with heraldic shields and two brasses on lid
Wall Monuments
Henry Howard (1647) by John Stone (?) Francis Martyn (1682) Grenville Hampden (1835)  

Left: A series of wall monuments from chancel, some of which have been reproduced in close up.
 Above from left to right: George Eyre (1885) solicitor. 'This inscription was on the tomb of...' Edward Hale (1682)...buried in church yard...'. Charles Eyre (1869) Latin inscription

Brasses
John Bradstane  (1458)
Rector
William Branwhait (1495)
Master of the Hospital
Thomas Palmer (1599) & Katherine

There are many other brasses without figures, mainly inscriptions and shields; I have not included these in this survey. I refer the visitor to the Monumental Brass Society's survey series of books on this subject which are very complete.
Fulbrook - St James
Left: Thorpe Family 1695/8
Above:
14th century tomb chest in the church yard
Right:
 
Jordan Family (1637-72

Great Milton - St Mary
Above: Robert Eggersley & Wife c 1500

Left: Slab with foliated cross, late 13th century
Right: Slab with foliated cross, late 13th century
Great Tew - St Michael
Mary Anne Boulton (1829) by Chantrey
Great Haseley  -  St Peter


Upper row left: 13th century knight, unidentified
Upper row right:
13th century knight, unidentified
Left: William Leynthall (1471)
Shrouded corpse
Above: 
Slab with foliated cross - 13th Century.
Right:
William Butler (1444) Priest

 Hampton Poyle - St Mary
Knight  of the early 14th C


Kencot - St George

Richard Colchester (1643)
The door hinges to expose/conceal the painted wooden panel







Lewknor - St Margaret
Richard Paul Jodrell (1831)
Marble by P. Bazzanti of Florence 1833
Minster Lovell - St Kenelm

Alabaster tomb chest and effigy of mid 15th century. Said to be William Lovell (1455) or his son John (1465). The shields were repainted in the 19th century.

A Mystery of Minster Lovell

Minster Lovell Hall is a 15th century manor house, now in a ruinous condition and in the care of English Heritage. It was the ancestral home of Francis, Viscount Lovell, friend and ally of King Richard III. He fought for the King at the Battle of Bosworth,  from which he escaped following Richard's defeat and death. He then travelled to the north and with others helped organized a revolt in Yorkshire with the aim of capturing Henry VII; this revolt failed but he himself possibly made a second attempt to assassinate Henry in York. This again failed.

He then fled to Margaret of York in Flanders; she was the window of Charles the Rash, Duke of Burgundy and sister of both Richard III and Edward IV and the champion of the Yorkist cause being, a thorn in the side of Henry Tudor.

Next he travelled to Ireland to join the rebellion of the Pretender Lambert Simnel against Henry VII. With him, was John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln, son of the time server John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk and his wife Elizabeth, sister of both Edward IV, Richard III and Margaret of York. John Earl of Lincoln was a claimant to the throne and in fact had been appointed heir by Richard III following the death of the latter's young son.

The rebels and the Tudors met at Stoke Field and there Henry VII was triumphant. John, Earl of Lincoln, Martin Swartz, the leader of the German mercenaries and other leaders were killed but Lord Lovell disappeared, no one knows where. Curiously King Henry showed lenience towards Lambert Simnel, by employing him as a kitchen boy.

Two hundred years later in 1708 a skeleton was found sitting in a secret room in Minster Lovell Hall. Was this the remains of Lord Lovell who had gone into hiding there after the battle? There were rumours that he had been seen travelling to Scotland but nothing definite was seen or heard of him after Stoke, the real last Battle of the Ward of the Roses.

It is generally claimed that the skeleton was not that of Lord Lovell, as he had spent little time at Minster Lovell. Is that logical reasoning? And if not, whose skeleton was it? I like to think that the case is non proven and whatever the truth, it makes a good story!



North Leigh - St Mary

Above left: Thomas Beckingham (1431) brass
Above right:
William Lenthall (1596) & Wife.  Of slate, stone & alabaster
Right:
 Sir William Wilcote (1410) & Wife Alabaster effigies. Tomb chest is of stone


Northmoor - St Denis
Left: Cross slab of the early 14th century
Right top: John de la Moore
Right bottom:
Isabella de la Moore
Nuffield - Holy Trinity
Benert Engliss (c 1360)

City of Oxford
Christ Church Cathedral
Oxford Cathedral is a cathedral of the Modern Foundation, the see being created in 1546.
At the Reformation it was an Augustinian Priory, dedicated to St Frideswide

             
 Left: St Frideswide's Shrine (1289) Reconstructed 1889-91 by J Park Harrison Above Left: Robert Burton (1639) The inscription refers to Melancholy.
Above centre:
William Goodwin (1620) Note the book and funerary objects each side strung with ribbons. Above right: John Bisshop (1588-9) brass 

Above: Ela (1297) Daughter of William Longspée. Fragment of coffin lid from Osney Abbey. Inscription.
 
Right:
Sir John Nowers (?) Early 15th Century
Alabaster and wood repairs 

Far Right:
Elizabeth de Montacute (1354)  

Shipton-under-Wychwood - St Mary

Above: Fragment of 14th century effigy
Near right: 17th century Jacobean wall monument but no inscription
Next right: Sir John Read (1773)
Next right:

Far Right:Sir John Read (1769)

Skelton Wigginton


Male Civilian Effigy of the 14th Century. He is flanked by two small figures of his children - an unusual feature.

Spelsbury - All Saints
Sir Edward Lee, 1st Earl of Litchfield
(1716)
George Henry Lee, 3rd Earl of Litchfield (1772)
By the architect H Keene and the sculptor W Tyler
Robert Lee, 4th Earl of Litchfield (1776)  Sir Henry Lee (1631) & Wife
Note the kneeling children at the head and feet and the infants recumbent at the side of the main effigies. See also below


Above: Detail of the monument to Sir Henry Lee (1631) & Wife, showing details of the two main figures and the two kneeling daughters at the head, and right bottom details of the two babies at the side of Sir Henry, which are difficult to make out in the other photographs.
Right bottom:  
Helen Matilda Story (1879)
 
 

Stanton Harcourt - St Michael

Above left:Sir Simon Harcourt (1547). Black marble top. This has been reduced in length.
Above right:
Sir Robert Harcourt (1471) & Wife. Alabaster; the painting is of the 19th century.
Sir Robert Harcourt (c 1490) Grandson of the Sir Robert. Alabaster;  the painting is of the 19th century. Alongside is a second tomb chest with indent for brass cross (14th century)

Above and left: Lady Maud Harcourt (c. 1400), daughter of Lord Grey of Rotherfield. Painting is modern except scroll on soffit of arch. Note the brass in front of the monument



 Sir Phillip Harcourt & Wife Alabaster & black marble. St Edburg Part of the shrine of between 1294-1317 removed from Bicester Priory at the Dissolution by Sir James Harcourt, Sheriff of the County. Purbeck marble canopy on stone base
Above: Bishop Edward Vernon Harcourt (1847) by M Nobel 1858
Right: George Simon Earl Harcourt (1809)
Mid right: Sir William Vernon Harcourt. 
Plaster model for statue in lobby of Houses of Parliament
Far right:
Field Marshal William, 3rd Earl Harcourt.  Plaster model for Sievier's statue of 1832   in St George's Chapel, Windsor

Steeple Ashton - St Peter & St Paul
Judge Sir Francis Page (1741)
& Lady Frances Page by Henry Scheemakers 1730
Steeple Barton - St Mary


Phillip Constable 1664

Swinbrook - St Mary



Edmund Fettiplace (1686) and his two predecessors. Marble and alabaster by William Bird of Oxford (signed)


Sir Edmund Fettiplace (1613) He reclines on the top tier; below are is father and grandfather.
Sir George Fettiplace (1743) By James Annis   John Croston (1470) & Three Wives Brass :Anthony Fettiplace (1510) Edward Fettiplace (1656) 
Thomas (1767) & Frances (1764) Fettiplace By Richard Westmacott (1799) Joan Goddard (1623) pillar monument George & Sophia Fettiplace (n/d) twins who were born after death of their father Lt Phillimore & crew of P514 submarine run down and sunk by convoy, 21st June 1942

Thame - St Mary

Left:Sir John Clerke (1539)

Above:
Merrial Coates (1644)
There are many other tombs and brasses in the church
 

 

 


Waterperry - St Mary



 


Above: U
nknown knight: mid 14th century
Right:
Walter & Isabel Curson (c 1440)
Next right:
Sir Francis Curson (1610) & Wife
Far right:
  Anna Maria Rooke Greaves (1821) by Chantrey;
     

Witney - St Mary


Male Civilian & Female Effigies of 14th Century. At the top is a close up of the former.



                                                                                                                                                                                                 

                      
Yarnton - St Barthomew



Sir Thomas Spencer (1684), Wife & Children. Attributed by Mrs Esdaile to John Nost. The father stands between his wife and son while their daughters sit on either side. Compare the Digby monument at Sherbourne, Dorset
With many thanks to Miss Sally Badham FSA, Dr David & Mrs Jane Kelsall and Joan & Robert Tucker for providing nearly all of the photographs on this page.
Those from Dorchester and Ewelme were taken by the Web Master.
 
 

<Top of Page>   <Home - Index - Page>