(Alston)  Alnwick Bywell Bothal  Bamburgh  Cambo ChillinghamHartburn  Hexham Priory  Kirknewton  Meldon  Mitford  Newcastle Cathedral North Shields  Ovingham 
 St John Lee Simonburn Stannington  Thockrington Wallsend  Warkworth

Alnwick - St Michael Bothal - St Andrew

Left Top:
A clerk; 14th century
Left Bottom: Lady Isabella de Vexi (1314)
Above: Ralph Lord Ogle (1513) & Lady Margaret Gascoigne. Alabaster.
Bamburgh - St Aidan

 Grace Darling (1815), the famous lighthouse keeper's daughter, who with her father rowed in the most atrocious weather to rescue survivors of the S S Fofarshire. She died of tuberculosis in her 27th year and is buried with her parents in the churchyard. Near her grave is a memorial which originally contained this effigy, which because of erosion was moved  inside the church, by Raymond Smith  1844; the Gothick memorial (by Hicks 1895) itself now contains a facsimlie. Note the oar. 
Above is the monument, with replacement effigy and the original monument inside the church. 

Although popularly stated to be of Sir John Foster who participated in the First Crusade, the style an armour indicate that it is of a later date of c. 1325 

Georgina Black (1878 aged 14) Foster Family (1711) Above: Dorothy Grey (1820) There are more brasses to the Grey family below.
John Embleton n/d surgeon

Dr John Sharp (1714)
Archbishop of York. A seated girl looks down beside the bust of the Archbishop on a pedestal, the latter being carved in low relief. By Chantrey 1839

Constantina Grey n/d  John Grey (1833) Lt John Grey (1777) Henry Grey (1817) Henry George Grey (1826)

Bywell has two Anglo-Saxon Churches as well as a Castle.
There is nothing outstanding in either of these churches but both - especially St Andrew's - preserve a number of cross slabs. In St Andrew's they are mainly free, being clamped to the interior wall of the church; while in St Peter's they are entirely set into the interior wall

St Andrew
St Andrew's Church is under the care of the Churches' Conservation Trust

Charles Bacon Grey (1883) ?
and his wife, Emily (1878)
John Shield (1848)
Isabella Shield (1851)
William Fenwick (1802) William Bacon Grey (1861)
Henry Bacon Grey (1844)

Margaret Pel__d (18__)
of Ovington Lodge
Charles Bacon Grey (18__)

Miss Elizabeth HIV__ (?)
Ovington Lodge
Wm Fenwick Esq (1782)
Stone, medieval and modern. Note the various cross designs and the symbols: swords, shears, and on one a shield.

Other Monuments
Charles Bacon (1830) and his wife Dorothy (1836) White tablet Hugh Fenwick (1893) Wooden rectangular tablet. Placed by his wife
Worn 15th century effigy under trapdoor in north chapel Hugh Fenwick (1893) Wooden rectangular tablet. Placed by his brother; exactly the same as above

St Peter

Robert Jobling (1820)
Signed: Davies Newcastle

Medieval cross slabs now set in wall
And a modern slab set still in floor (text below)
William Collinson (1761); Henry Winship (1768); Mrs I Collison (1794); William Winship (1797); Ruhamah Winship (1801); William Collison Winship (1813), aged 2. Son of Collison Winship; Henry Winship (1837); Collinson Winship (1819).

Other Monuments
Gilbert Atkinson (1918) Lt 9th Durham Lt Infantry. DOW Brass
Rev Edward Cooke (1845) 'who died...of deep consumption. White tablet on black base with gable; brass cross in latter
Worn 15th century effigy under trapdoor in north chapel (reported)
John Lawrence Pumphrey (1914) Trooper Northumberland Yeomanry. DOW Ypres aged 23
Wentworth Canning Blackett, Viscount Allendale (1923) Brass in wooden frame. At its upper border the brass has a semicircular protuberance with cross.

Cambo - Holy Trinity

Above Left:
Two cross slabs. Note the wool shears
Centre top: Arthur Trevelyan (1846)

Above and details bottom centre:
Man with sword: incised slab, feet on hound

Chillingham  - St Peter
Right:  Sir Ralph Grey (1443) & Wife. Tomb chest of c. 1450 with 14 saints separated by angles. Alabaster effigies. Above Jacobean addition 
Above: Robert Charnocke (1691) Steward to Ford Lord Grey.
Hartburn - St Andrew
Left:  J H H Atkinson by Armstead 1873
Lady Bradford (1830)  White marble by Chantrey 1834

Hexham Priory
Top: Thomas de Devilstone (1297)   Bottom: Early 14 th century ladies Top: Sir Gilbert de Umf raville (1307)  Bottom: Prior Leschman (1491)

Holy Island

Jane Moffatt (1797)

Kirknewton - St Gregory the Great
Andrew & Naria Bowrell (1458) 'Pray to God for us'. Although an incised slab, the heads and hands were set in brass, but are now lost. 'Near this spot was interr'd the body of the Revd John Wedge MA, vicar of this church for 52 years, who departed this life 1732 in the 80th year of his age. Also the body of his wife Elizabeth who departed this life 1729 (?) Also three of their children viz Mary, Catherine and George.' In the chancel.

Meldon - St John
Sir William Fenwick (1652) His wife, Meg O Meldon, was said to have haunted the nearby bridge as a dog or a white lady, intent on pushing travellers into the river. She was not an attractive lady but a miserly one and her ghost roams the earth in seven year cycles looking for her hidden wealth. Buried in Newminster Abbey.
St John Lee - St John of Beverley
Captain Simon William Richmond Mewburn (1916) Kia in Mesopotamia. His head rests on a saddle

Mitford - St Mary Magdelene
The doorway is included as I do not have an ouside photograph

Right: Bertram Reveley (1622)

In South Aisle

Newcastle upon Tyne - Cathedral Church of St Nicholas

Roger Thorton (1429) & Agnes (1411) One of the largest brasses in the country and dated 1441 William Hall (1631) & Jane (1613) Erected by their only son Alexander Hall Henry (1634) & Elizabeth (1653) Maddison  kneel facing each other; their parent kneel at either side facing forwards; their 16 children kneel below. Calverley Bewicke (1815) by E H Baily from a design by William Theed. Exhibited Royal Academy 1819.
John Collingwood Bruce (1829) by George Simonds 1890 (signed). Marble effigy; his feet rest on his own book - 'Roman Wall'
Admiral Lord Collingwood (1810) by Rossi (1819) designed by C R Cockerell. Exhibited Royal Academy 1820 and erected 1821 Robert Hopper Williamson (1835)
by David Dunbar I (1838) designed by William Dobson
Henry Askew (1796) & Dorothy (1792)
Henry Webber (1801)
Sir Mathew White Ridley (1813)
by Flaxman , 1810
Mathew Ridley (1778) by  John Bacon  (1787)
Bishop Arthur Thomas Lloyd. Effigy by F W Pomeroy; designed by Oliver & Leeson (1908) with alabaster effigy by F W Pomeroy
North Shields - Christ Church
The first church on this site dates from 1654-63, built to replace the original parish church in Tynemouth priory, which had fallen into decay. The west tower was added 1786-8 and the whole rebuilt 1792-3.  There are a number of  relatively modest 19th century monuments plus two saved from the original church

Rev Christopher Reed AM (1867)
Signed: Lambert Newcastle upon Tyne
Rev Richard Edwyn Ozanne (1884)
Senior curate for several years
  Left: Peregrine Henzell (1824) And on the right, his daughter,
Mary Henzell (1867)
Charles Charleton MD (1827)
Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh

 Left: Top, Henry Dale (1851); Bottom: Thomas Wright (1840) Both signed: Davies, Newcastle. Above far left: John Henry Richardson (1824) Public notary. He died at sea 'in the performance of his public duties' By Dunbar. Centre left: Robert Laing (1822) Centre: Elizabeth (1855) and Margery Burrell (1859) 'the protectors of six orphaned  Centre right: Peter Dale JP (1864) Son of the aforementioned John Dale. Far right: George Avery (1857), and his wife, Jane Brotherwick Avery (1869). Their children: George and Jane, who both died in 1840, aged 3; and daughter, Laurie Annie (1865)
John Dale JP (1861) and his wife, Isabella (1870) William Richardson (1827) John Tavenon (183)
By G Green, Newcastle
Mary Grant 'Head Mistress for 28 years at the Parich Church Girls School ...' 1899 Hon George Hewitt (1792)
Officer in his his Majeſety's 31ſt Reg.t of Foot'

Mary Elder (1843) Henry Norman Hill (1901). KIA Kleintontein South Africa
2nd Lt 4th Battery Royal Field Artillery
Erected by his former comrades, the officers of  the
Tynemouth Volunteer Artillery
Dorothy Robson (1929) George Cleugh (1888) and his wife, Catherine Elizabeth (1904)

Stephen Dockwray MA (1681) Former vicar Randolph Milbourne (1689) [Arabic]
His daughter, Winifred (1693) [Roman]. Latin text
John Stephenson Twizell (1807)
Sig: A Beal Sc, Newcastle
John Collingwood (1841)
And his wife, Sarah (1824)
Stephen Wright (1834)
'...several years an active magistrate...'

Other Monuments
'The pews and other ornaments were refurbished by the bequest of Ellen Maud Fell (1968) in memory of herself and her husband, Richmond Fell (1968); John Richmond Fell (1947); Ada Fell (1957); Edward Crossthwaite Fell (1929). Wood dated 1973.
Trooper John Dixon (1901) KIA at Rhenosterfontein, South Africa at 2 whilst serving in the 101st Company Imperial Yeomanry. Brass by Walker & Croxon, Newcastle
'This screen was erected in the memory of Horatio Alfred Adamson Hon Vestry Clerk 1870-1908 and of his wife Jane Elizabeth Adamson.

This icon is given in memory of William Alan Clayton, a former church warden 1936-2000. Brass in wooden frame.
Mjr Edward Shotton JP (1884) of the Tynemouth Artillery. Brass
'The circular window in the tower...inserted at Easter 1870 by the Parishioners to the memory of Rev Christopher Reed MA Oxon, 3 years vicar of this parish' Brass
Members of Howlett family 1683 and 1694. Grave cover
John Hutchinson (1837) Standing female figure by altar, by Dunbar

Ovingham - St Mary
Thomas Bewick (1828) Newcastle wood engraver and book illustrator; and his wife, Isabella (1826). Also (?) his son, Robert (1788). Gravestone of Margaret __ brought into church
With symbols of death and resurrection but I can't make the text out

A notice above the stone to Thomas Bewick tells us that it was brought into the church porch in June 1955 from his grave site, near the west wall of the tower,  to prevent further deterioration. It is to be regretted that the authorities of St Andrew's Church in Bere Ferrers, Devon have not given similar consideration to the grave stone of Charles Stothard (the artist and etcher, famous for his work on church monuments) which is in a very exposed position and now weathered to near obliteration and despite a request from a local author that they did so.

Simonburn - St Mungo

Figures from desecrated tomb of Cuthbert Ridley (1637)
Right: Robert Lancelot Allgood (1854) & Elizabeth by Mathew Noble 1866
Stannington - St Mary the Virgin Warkworth - St Lawrence

Sir Mathew White Ridley (1904) by Sir Mathew White Ridley; bronze effigy with marble base by Detmar Blow

A Knight of c. 1330 with the arms of de Aublyn. The tomb chest is 17th century

Thockrington - St Aidan
Above & Right 14th century lady in sandstone
Lord Beveridge (1963), the social reformer is buried in the churchyard

Wallsend - St Peter

William Robert Swan (1880)

John Nelson (1879) Churchwarden
His wife, Isabella (1879)

Joseph Mordue (1872)
His wife, Phyllis (1872)

John Charles Little (1928)
Rector's Warden 1921-2

Rev John Armstrong (1871) Rector
His wife, Mary (1880)
Right: The upper tablet is to Mjr John Potts JP (1870) For 50 years of the Northumberland Militia. His wife: Sarah Ann Henderson (1867), and Edward Henderson (1826), who was presumably the father (or grandfather) of Sarah.. The brass supported by two kneeling angels in to the children of John and Sarah Potts, viz: Edward Henderson (1882), Sarah Anne (1863), William John (1892), Alice Jane (1889), and Frank Ramer (1891). The brass then states that it and the east window was erected in their memory by their surviving brother John in 1893. I could not make out the dates clearly
Other Monuments

Pte John Taylor (1916)
who DOW while carrying a wounded comrade. He was scoutmaster, 3rd Wallsend Troop, St Peter's Scouts. Brass
Rev Richard Jenkins MA (1886)
Rector 1872-1886. The tower was converted into a baptistry in his memory in 1899
Memorial to those killed in Heaton Main Colliery Disaster, unfortunately unamed This is lettering below a stone seat which was covered in cards on the photographs.
Charles Edward Osborne
Rector 1906-1936

With thanks to Joan & Robert Tucker, Jean McCreanor, Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade and Richard Collier for supplying all the photographs and information in this section
<Top of Page>  <Gazetteer - Home Page>