<Lincolnshire - 1>  <Lincolnshire - 2>
Lincoln Cathedral   St Benedict St Mary-le-Wigford
Lincoln Cathedral
Park in one of the city's fairly expensive (£5 all day) central long stay car parks , a very short walk to the Cathedral. There is an entrance fee of  £4.00. There is no extra charge for photography. NB: this was several years ago
Please note: The photographs on this page are rather small as I could not find the originals to edit
The Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Lincoln Cathedral is a cathedral of the Old Foundation: before the Reformation it was staffed by secular canons, as it is today.
The see was founded at Lindsey in 678, Moved to Dorchester-on-Thames in 958, and moved to Lincoln in 1073
Nave  Galilee Porch  South Transept Retrochoir South-East Transept  Cloisters  Choir

Slab on modern base said to be Bishop Remigius; the inscription is modern
Elizabeth Hatton (1724)   Elizabeth Scrope (1719) Mrs Pownall (1777) 

Sir Joseph Banks (1820)  Bishop Kaye (1857)  Dean Michael Honywood (1681)  Bishop Smith (1514) 
Fragments of the monument of Bishop Edward Lake, mounted on wall.
Galilee Porch South-East Transept 
Crosses and brass matrix outside the Cathedral  Bishop Robert Grossteste (1253) Modern slab
South Transept
Dean Fuller (1697)  Bishop King (1910)  Sir George Tailboys (1538) 
Bishop Wordsworth (1885) Monument and effigy Fleming Chantry Chapel. Effigy above; cadaver below. 
Remains of Shrine of Head of Saint Hugh (1390) , Bishop Burghersh  Top: Effigy of Bishop Burghersh
Bottom Effigy of Bartholomew, Lord Burghersh
 Monument of Bartholomew, Lord Burghersh (1355)
Monument of Queen Eleanor of Castile (1290)  Top: Effigy of Queen Eleanor of Castile
Bottom: Effigy of  Prior Wimbush (1461)
Monument of Prior Wimbush (1461) 

Eleanor of  Castile, wife of King Edward I, died at Harby on 28th November 1290. Her body was embalmed at her viscera buried in Lincoln Cathedral. Her body was then taken towards London, arriving at Charing on December 14th. Two days later her body was buried in Westminster Abbey and later her heart was buried in Church of the Blackfriar's Church also in London.
The following year King Edward commissioned gilt bronze effigies for Eleanor's two tombs at Lincoln and Westminster as well a similar effigy for his father, Henry III, at Westminster; these were to be made by the London based goldsmith William Torrel. The Westminster monument and effigy can be seen today but the Lincoln tomb was demolished during the War of the Three Kingdoms. Queen Eleanor's Lincoln effigy that we see today is cast of the Westminster effigy and dates from 1891.
The Blackfriar's monument did not feature a cast bronze effigy bur a casket, supplied by mason, William de Hoos and three gilt images made by William of Suffolk and a figure of an angel holding a heart supplied by Adam the Goldsmith.
At the points were Eleanor's body rested on its journey from Lincolnshire to London the Eleanor crosses - twelve in all - were built. Three can be seen at Hardingstone, Geddinton and Waltham and fragments of the Charing cross still exist. Those at Lincoln, Grantham, Stamford, Stony Stratford, Woburn, Dunstable, St Albans, and Cheapside are lost.

Dean Butler (1894) monument and effigy  Peter de Wint (1849) 
Left: Lord Canteloup monument and effigy
Above:  Series of table tombs behind altar
Right:  Russell Chantry
  Choir Aisles   
Left:   Longland Chantry
Below: Remains of shrine of Little Saint Hugh
Right Top: William Byrd
Right Bottom: Tomb of Kathryn Swinford and daughter from aisle
Bishop Remigius  Kathryn Swynford & Daughter from Choir 
Above: Incised slab
First right: Jacob Clents (1809) Sub Dean
Second Right Thomas Loveden (c 1400)
Third Right: Richard de Gaynisburgh/ Gainsborough (1300)
Fourth right: Fragment of slab with lettering

St Benedict
St Benedict's Square

Above and near right: William Adams Nicholson (1853)
Far right: 'Here lyeth intered neare this place ye bodies of John Becke citizen & alderman and twice mayor of this citie of Lincolne and Marie his wife who had by her issue 10 children, 7 sonnes Robert, John, Thomas, Edward, Roger, Augustine and George, and 3 daughters Marie, Martha and Marie. Hee departed this life the 23 day of March in AD 1620 and Mary his wife departed the 9 of December 1617' Brought here following the demolition of St Peter in 1932.

St Mary le Wigford
High Street

Sir Thomas Grantham (1630) & first wife Frances (Puckering) (1610) He was Speaker of the House and Keeper of the Great Seal. From the old church of St Martin. Possibly by Maximilian Colt

Two 14th century ladies Leonard Laycock (1594) buried in the 'Chauncell of the Church of S. Mark's at Lincoln' Unknown lady 15th century c 1526 remains of incised slab to unknown couple  Illustration of the Grantham monument (see above)

With thanks to Jean McCreanor for sending the photographs of the Lincoln churches and those from the cloister of the Cathedral; all the other photographs of the Cathedral are by the Web Master, and will be replaced in the future
<Top of Page>  <Home - Index - Page>  <Lincolnshire - 1>  <Lincolnshire - 2>