CITY OF GLOUCESTER      
 
GLOUCESTER CATHEDRAL
The Cathedral Church of St Peter and the Holy and Indivisible Trinity
Gloucester Cathedral is a cathedral of the New Foundation; at the Reformation it was a Benedictine Abbey

The first religious community at Gloucester is recorded in 681. In 1058 Ealdred, Bishop of Worcester rebuilt the church but the foundations of the present building were laid following its destruction in 1088 by the first abbot Serlo, who had been appointed by William the Conqueror.  (see below). Walter Frocester (d. 1412) became the first mitered abbot in 1381. Gloucester had been in the diocese of Worcester but in 1541 was separated from Worcester and the church became a cathedral, the mother church of the new diocese of Gloucester. Its first bishop was John Wakeman, who had been the last abbot of Tewkesbury. Fortunately, Tewkesbury Abbey, although it did not become a cathedral, did survive the Dissolution as a parish church. Wakeman was succeeded by Bishop John Hooper, one of the bishops to be burned at the stake by Queen Mary
Abbot Thorky in 1327 accepted the body for burial of the deposed (and possibly murdered) King Edward II after three other religious communities had refused to do so, so risking the anger of the late King's enemies. However times change and this act added to the Abbey's future prosperities.

The Presbytery



 Robert Duke of  Normandy (1134) 

The effigy is painted of wood and dates from the 13th century, and represents the style and armour of that time, not that of the time of the subject; the tomb chest is also painted wood but dates from the 14th/15th centuries.





Note the structure over the effigy - the 'hearse' - one of only three in the country.
 

Abbot Serlo (1104)

He was abbot of Gloucester for 33 years and rebuilt the abbey following its destruction in the rebellion of 1088.
The effigy is 13th century and of stone

    Robert 'Curthose' Duke of Normandy, born about 1053,  was the eldest son of William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda of Flanders. From his father in 1087 he inherited the Dukedom of Normandy and the County of Maine while his younger brother, William Rufus, inherited the Kingdom of England.. In other words William the Conqueror separated the English and French parts of his lands and divided the two parts between his two eldest sons; however there was a third son, Henry, to be taken into account.

   Robert was not a successful ruler but, on the other hand, he was an excellent military commander  and soldier. For the next two years Robert and his Norman allies attempted to wrest England from his brother and thereafter his rule in Normandy was undermined by William and the youngest brother Henry.

   In 1096 Robert mortgaged Normandy to William for 10,000 marks so that he could take part in the First Crusade, in which he excelled himself as a soldier. On his return to Europe he found that William had been killed, probably accidentally although this can never be proven, and that Henry now ruled in England as King Henry I. Once again he attempted an invasion of England which again failed, the  brothers coming to terms at Alton, Hampshire in 1101. In 1106 Henry invaded Normandy  defeating and capturing Robert at the Battle of Tinchebrai. Thereafter Robert was held captive in comfortable circumstances mostly, in Cardiff Castle.

    He died in his early 80's and was buried in Gloucester Cathedral.

   The Rebellion of 1088. The barons who held lands on both sides of the Channel were unhappy about the division of William the Conqueror's land, as mentioned about, as Robert and William were natural rivals and they foresaw that this division would cause problems for them in the future as trying to serve two masters - and rivals at that - would be a difficult, if not impossible, task.  In 1088 a group of barons led by the half brothers of the late king - Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and Robert, Count of Mortain, set out to depose William Rufus and reunite the lands under Robert Curthose.  Incidentally these brothers are shown with William the Conqueror on the Bayeux tapestry. They began the rebellion by laying waste the lands held by King William and his supporters.

   King William diffused this rebellion against him both pragmatically and intelligently. Odo - once the richest man in England - was banished to Normandy for life; Duke Robert was allowed to keep his Duchy.

The Lady Chapel

Left: Margery Clent (1623) A daughter of Bishop Smith.  By Samuel Baldwin of Stroud.

Above:
Bishop Goldsborough (1604) Behind his head is an inscription panel. North Chapel

Right:
Judge John Powell (1713) marble by Thomas Green of Camberwell (signed)

Below left:
Thomas Fitzwilliam (1579) Painting on stone; beside a plain tomb chest. Removed from St Owen's church on its destruction in 1643. South Chapel.


Below right:
 Elizabeth Williams (1622), Another daughter of Bishop Miles Smith. Note the baby lying on her pillow. By Samuel Baldwin of Stroud

 
Other Monuments
Dorothea Beale. Inscription by Eric Gill (c. 1907) on bronze tablet by Dury.

The North Ambulatory

King Edward II (1327) Also called Edward of Canarvon.  He was the fourth son of Edward I and became heir apparent after the death of his older brother, Alphonso, the other two sons having died before he was born.  He was deposed in 1327 and died - probably murdered in Berkely Castle later the same year.
The effigy is of alabaster, the tomb chest of Purbeck marble and the canopy an oolitic Cotswold limestone. The construction date is about 1330. How Charles Stothard managed to draw the effigy is quite  amazing.
Above: King Osric (fl. 676) was a king - or joint king - of the early Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Hwicce, which had been incorporated in Mercia in 626 so by the time of Osric it was presumably a sub-kingdom. He was honoured by Abbot Parker as the founder of the monastery at Gloucester and his sister Kyneburg the first abbess.
This monument date from about 1530.

Right: William Parker (1539) (or William Malvern) - the last abbot before the Dissolution. Alabaster effigy of c. 1535. He did not resist the surrender of his abbey and did not have the heart to surrender it but rather abandoned his post, leaving the prior in charge, and fled to relatives; he died soon afterward. This tomb is probably not his as he was presumably buried elsewhere, and a Marian and Elizabethan bishop lie below

The North Transept

John Bowker (1615), Ann, his wife and their children.
The figures are painted
Other Monuments
T B Lloyd-Baker (1886) Marble bust by W S Frith
Canon Evan Evans (1891) Brass and marble tablet by Henry Wilson
Benjamin Baylis (1777) Tablet by Bryan of Gloucester
Mary Gwynne (1808) by Reeves of Bath
Canon Trotter (1913) Tablet
Canon Scobell (1917) Tablet
The South Transept

 
Richard Pates (1588) He was founder of Pates Grammar School in Cheltenham and builder of Matson House. The painted kneeling   Elizabethan figures can just now be made out

   Alderman Abraham Blackleech (1639) & Gertrude. Black marble tomb chest with alabaster recumbent effigies. By Epiphanius Evesham or Edward Marshall


Seabroke Chantry Chapel

Above: Abbot Seabroke (1457) Alabaster effigy
Right: Francis Barber (1669)

South Aisle

Above top row left to right: 1) Alderman John Jones (1630).   2)   Bishop William Nicholson (1671)  Another in Baroque style. He was said to have been a fearless champion of the church during the Commonwealth.  3)   Mary Singleton (1761) Baroque tablet by J & J Bryan. Coloured marbles and much symbolism.
Bottom row
1)   Thomas Brydges of Coberley & Wife Recumbent effigies of early 15th century on a 14th century tomb chest. In recessed wall tomb. SS collars.  2)  Sir George Onesiphorus Paul (1820) Marble by Sievier
Other Monuments
Prebendary William Adams (1798) Tablet by King of Bath
Dame Mary Strachan (1770) Portrait medallion & arms held by supportors  by Ricketts of Gloucester.
Eli Dupree (1707) Bust on broken pediment
Bishop Anthony Ellys of St David's (1761) by Ricketts of Gloucester
Hubert Parry (1918) musician
Mary Clarke (1792)
Tablet by W Stephens of Worcester
Richard Clarke (1796) Tablet by W Stephens of Worcester
John Webb of Norton Court (1795) Classical tablet by Bryan of Gloucester
Sir John Guice of Highnam (1794) Draped broken column by Millard of Gloucester
Richard Raikes (1823) Gothick by Rickman
Dr Edward Jenner statue by R. W. Sievier (1825)

North Aisle

Alderman Thomas Machen,  Christian & Children (c 1615)
Perhaps by Samuel Baldwin of Stroud
Sarah Morley (1784) she died at srea on a passage from India. By Flaxman Abraham Rudhall (1798), Charles Rudhall (1815) & Sarah Rudhall (1805) They were bell makers Note the three bells
Canon E D Tinling (1897) Kneeling figure before Christ; in  bronze and semi-precious stones by Henry Wilson Bishop Martin Benson (1752)
Bishop 1734-52
Ralph Bigland (1784) Garter Principle King of Arms.

Other Monuments
Charles Brandon Trye (1811) Bust in medallion
Rudge Family Tablet by Millard
Col. Edward Webb (1839) Gothick mourning female by H Hopper

Bishop Warburton (1779) by King of Bath
Samuel Hayward of Wallsworth Hall (1790) Classical by Bryan of Gloucester
Hester Gardner (1822) Classical by James Cooke
Ivor Gurney (1937) poet & musician by Bryant Fedden

North Choir or Tribune Gallery

William Lisle (1723) by John Ricketts the Elder of Gloucester Thomas Ware & Family (no date) with Greek and Latin Inscriptions
Note: Pevsner gives the monument on the left as that of William Little, clearly misreading the name as written - Liſle - as Little


 
 St Nicholas
Westgate Street.  Now under the care of the Churches' Conservation Trust



Revd Richard Green (1711)
aged 21 & brother


Francis Reeve (1715)
& family 
Above:  John Walton (1626), alderman & Alice (1620) Attrib. to Samuel Baldwin

Above: Samuel Baldwin (1645) Carver. Possibly by Stephen Baldwin. Right, and then from left to right:
1) Joseph Reeve (1716), carver, & wife Sarah (1714) 
2) John Deighton (1676), surgeon, & wife Mary (1684). 3) William Window (1669) & family. 4)  John Belveze (1708) a French advocate. '...being protestant was forced out of his country...'

 
Above:Margaret Gray (no date) Then right, from left to right: 1) Toby Bullock (1641) & Family. 2) Thomas Nickols (1718) & family. 3) Jane Fox (1657).  4) Thomas Withenbery (1720) Carpenter & wife Sarah (1730) 
 
Above: Mary Lloyd (1703) And then right, from left to right:Gadriel Harris (1744) & wife Susan (1742). 2) Margaret Seys (1651). 3)  Susanah Jordan (1685). 4) William Cowcher (1785) & family   


For acknowledgements and thank you see the county page
 
<Top of Page>  <Index - Home - Page>  <County of Gloucestershire>