Charente Charente-Maritime Deux-Sèvre Vienne

The region of Poitou-Charente was created in 1956 but was made part of the new region of Nouvelle-Aquitaine in 2016; the regional capital was Poitiers.  The County of Angoumois (Angoulême), a fief of the Duchy of Aquitaine, roughly corresponds to Department of Charente (capital: Angoulême); the County of Aunis, again a fief of Aquitaine, is now part of Charente-Maritime Department (capital La Rochelle). The County of Saintoge, another fief of the Duchy of Aquitaine, is mostly in Charente-Maritime with a fifth in Charente and a small amount in Deux-Sèvres (capital Niort). The County of Poitou roughly is included in the Deux-Sèvres and Vienne departments (capital Poitiers).
<Top of Page>  <Home - Index - Page>