Beaminster Bere Regis  Bridport Charminster Church Knowle   Cranborne  Canford Magna   Dorchester  Fifehead Magdelene Frampton  Gillingham Godmanstone Hinton St Mary  Horton Mappowder  Marnhull  Melbury Osmond Melbury Samford  Milton Abbas   
<Next Page (Dorset_2)>
 The mutlti-volume RCHM work is well worth looking at, Dorset being the most completly surveyed county in England.
NB There are often more monuments in the churches below as well as those listed..

Bere Regis - St John Baptist
O/S Ref: SY 847 947

Above left: John Skerne & Family (1593)  Monument Erected by his wife Margaret in 1596 (Chancel) Details of the brasses are shown above cemtre bottom.  Details of the figures and heraldry are shown below rows 1, 2 and 3
Above centre top:
Turberville family early 16th century monument.  Purbeck marble. The bottom photograph has been dealt with above.
Above right: 
Monument said to be to the Turberville family (early 16th century)  Detail below shows brass indents. The small indent between the figures is probably a Trinity
The first three columns have been dealt with above. 3rd Column: Anna Maria Radclyffe (1854); her husband Charles James (1882); their son Charles James (1913); his wife Blanche (1927) and their son Mjr Eustace (1950). Fourth Column: Robert Williams (1631) Latin inscription

Bridport - St Mary
Church open. Pevsner seems to suggest that the church is out of town: it is not. From the A35 roundabout continue to town centre on East Street (B3162), then turn left at the town hall clock along South Street (B3156). The church is then on the right. You can park in South Street nearby. O/S Ref: SY 465 925
Late 13th century knight. The face has been heavily recut in modern times giving him a WWI rather than a medieval appearance!

Other Tablets

Josiah Northcote Teed (1807) and his wife Mary (1803)

Carlotte Carpenter (née Roberts) (1816)
buried in church yard. Also to her eldest son, Henry Roberts (1801 aged 'about 14') He was midshipman aboard HMS Scout Sloop of War ehich foundered November 1801 on the banks of Newfoundland on the way to Halifax, Nova Scotia, when all hands perished. Also to her second son, William (1787 aged 8) . Also to three other sons who died in infancy, Edward Thomas George and Samuel. [I count four but there are no commas!] Her husband Thomas was buried in his family vault at Chiselborne. The monument was erected by their only surviving son, then a field officer in Madras in 1841.

Jane Tatum (1829)

Stephen Wretham JP (1860)
Far left: Harriet Templer (1905)
Samuel Bull (1777)
Henry Wyndham Francis Blackburne Farrer. (1918) Major RFA. MC 2 Bar; Croix-de-Guerre; 1914 Star. KIA Mazinghein aged 24. Son of the then Rector

Charminster - St Mary
O/S Ref: SY 679 927
Above left: One of the two Trenchard tombs in the Trenchard chapel. The two tombs are very similar: This has a pendant from the canopy and indents for brasses on back wall; the other has panelling on the underside of the canopy. Purbeck marble
Above right (detail) and far right: Grace Pole (1636).
The colouring was carried out in recent times.

Other Monuments (Black & White Tablets)
Rev Morgan Devenish MA (1857); his widow Ann (1886); their eldest son Morgan (1856) Cptn of the Dorset Militia
Martha Anne Meyer (1903) Last surviving child of the above, widow of Capt Meyer RN
John Meyer (1861) Son of above. Lost at sea off the Indian coast aged 19.
Cpt Adolphus Frederick Maximillian Meyer RN (1913) Husband of Martha (above)
William Robert Meyer (1910) Only son of he above; surgeon on SS Fulani; died at sea.
Thomas Nicholls (18--). his wife Mary (18--) & their son Thomas William (18--)
Arthur Symonds (1937)

Church Knowle - St Peter
O/S Ref: SY 941 819
Above left and centre: John Clavell (1572) and his two wives. The monument is of the Purbeck Marble type, as those above, but is not Purbeck Marble but rather Portland Sone. The several brasses of figures and heraldry are shown below:-
First column: kneeling figures of children of Myllicent (Gyfford) Clavell. Her heraldic shield is shown above. The brass inscription plate, originally below the figure, is missing. Second column:  Kneeling figure, heraldic shield and inscription plate of John Clavell; Third column: Susan (Coker) Clavell, kneeling figure, heraldic shield and inscription plate.
Above right: Thomas Cockram (1699)

Cranborne  -  St Mary & St Bartholomew
O/S Ref: SU 051 132


Above left:  John (1571) & Margaret Hawles. Purbeck marble. Latin inscription.
Above right: John & Elizabeth (Chafin) Hooper c 1600
Far right:
John & Elizabeth (Chafin) Hooper c 1600

Far left
Anne (Moore) Hooper (1637), Katherine Hooper (1637), her husband Thomas Hooper (1638) & others of the same family. Also Katherine (Fleming) Wyndham (1693) sometime wife of Edward Hooper.
Left and above:John Elliot (1641) Alabaster
Susannah (Morris) Stillingfleet (1647) Painted slate in stone surround

Far left: Frances Ann Carnegie (1867)
Near: John Miles (1854) He left a bequest to the benefit of four poor men and four poor women of the parish. Signed Osmond Sarum
Rev Henry Donne B.C.L.  J.P (1830) 44 years vicar of the parish. And his wife Catherine (1820) Signed (twice) Osmond Sarum
 'Near this place in the vault of Robert Prower MD are deposited the remains: of Lady Katharine Noel (1779); of Fanny Prower (1789) , wife of Robert above; of Robert Prower MD (1795), as above; of Rev Wm Storey AM (1797); of Harriet Rigby (1816), grand-daughter of Robert Prower; of Fanny Rigby (1827), widow of Rev Henry Rigby and daughter of Robert Prower.
Above right: Mariana Brouckner (1833) Signed: Saunders, New Road, Lodon
Above, beginning top left and then clockwise: Thomas (1789) & Ann Rebecca Stillingfleet (1803); Thomas (1815) & Elizabeth (1839?) Stillingfleet; Samuel (1750) & Mary Stillingfleet (1740); George Stillingfleet (1811 @ 16) Son of Thomas & Elizabeth
Right: :
William Miles (1806); son William (1821) and wife Charlotte (1847)

Dorchester - St Peter 
St Peter's Church is in the High Street and open during normal hours.  Park in one of the nearby pay car parks in the town.   
O/S Ref: SY 629 908

Two Knight late 14th century These two military effigies are similar but not at all identical and now rest on window ledges in the Hardy Chapel; they are said to have come from a Franciscan Friary or an earlier church.

Thomas Hardy of Melcome Regis (1599) George Clark (1846), his wife Frances (1814) their sons Thomas (1846) & Charles (dow 1846) Cpt in Bengal 1st Regiment. Above: Altar Tomb (14th century)  in wall recess in chancel. Carved initials 'HW' and a merchant's mark as in roof of north chapel
Right: Denzil Lord Holles, Baron Ifield (1679/80) A large standing monument on which he reclines, wearing a wig and yet Roman costume, on a sarcophagus. Wingless putti stand in front; these were originally on flanking pedestals which were destroyed when the monument was moved to its present position. . This was erected by his nephew's son and heir, John Duke of Newcastle in 1699.

Denzil Holles (1599-1679/80) was a member of the Short and Long Parliaments for Dorchester. When in 1628 the speaker Speaker attempted to adjourn the House at the command of Charles I,  he together with Sir John Finch, held him down in his chair 'till we are pleased to rise'; for this action he was fined and imprisoned. He escaped and lived in banishment for seven or eight years. When Stafford, his brother-in-law, was on trial he attempted unsuccessfully to save him by trying to get the King to abolish episcopacy if parliament would drop the attainder. He constantly  opposed the King in parliament and was one of the 'Five Members' the King tried to arrest in the house while it was sitting. He raised a regiment of foot which fought at Edgehill. Thereafter Holles led the peace party and was one of the Commissioners sent by Parliament to propose a peace treaty with the King at Oxford in 1644. When the Army marched on London in 1647 he fled to Normandy but returned the next year when he was one of the Commissioners sent to negotiate the Treaty of Newport with the King, who was now prisoner on the Isle of Wight. Threatened with arrest on his return he again fled to France. Following the restoration he was made a Privy Councillor and a baron. He, however, opposed much of Charles II's policy in parliament.

Henry Duncombe (1788) Inscription in Latin John Gordon (1774) '... He died at Dorchester Oct 4th, 1774 age 46. On his return to Jamaica where he had resided many years In Universal Esteem. He was signally instrumental In quelling a dangerous Rebellion in the Island In the Years 1760 A large Body of NEGROES  whom his BRAVERY had repulsed Finally yeilding To their Confidence in his HUMANITY...' Sir John William (1617) & Wife. The centre is a black shrine on the roof of which armour is placed. The couple kneel on either side, behind a pair of columns which carry an arch with Elizabethan motifs. Unsympathetically blocked by organ! Edward Pearce (1817) '... for 50 years a banker in this parish...'
Clara Jane Constance (Conybeare) Pearce Edgecumbe (1888) wife of Edward Robert Pearce Edgecumbe
'... Erected by the three surviving children of...' William Churchill (1796) , buried at Puddle Hinton with his sister Elizabeth, wife of Nath. Templeton. Their mother Jane Churchill (1801) ...buried in the church with her daughter Sophia (1800).'   Below on separate tablet: '... In addition...'  Caroline Frances Churchill (1805 age 18) '... one of the above mentioned children....buried in this church by the side of her mother...'
John Bascombe Lock (1842) Cpt in the 5th Bengal Native Infantry. Died in the Khybur Pass. Edmund Ward Pears (1878) 14 years rector John Willis (1834) Dpy Lt of Dorset George Churchill (1814) Son of William. Captain, 24th Reg. of Infantry; served many years in North America Mary Blandy (1844) 

Other Monuments
Mary Finch (1882) '...in a vault outside, near this tablet...' John Finch (1883) her husband
Rev Thomas Morton Colson A.B. (1830) & Mary (1833) Rector of Linkenholt Hants and Pilsdon, Dorset. Dark gray marble tablet with arms 
Revd John Morton Colson LLB (1863)
'... 41 years rector of Dorchester St Peter...' '...was buried in a vault in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet
Mary Bond Colson (1849)
'... was buried with her parents beneath the altar' B&W Tablet
Ann Catherine Colson (1874)
2nd daughter of Rev TM & M Colson '... buried with her brother in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet
Elizabeth Dampier (1874)
'... widow of Revd W England, Rector of Winterbourne Came, and the third daughter of the Rev T M & M Colson...buried with her husband at Came...'  B&W tablet
Henry Tooze (1828), Barrack Master at Dorchester 43 years & Susanna (1846) White marble tablet; signed Gregory, Dorch. Also  Mary Honour (1873), wife of their son, John Randolf Tooze (1874) '...Their remains are deposited in a vault in the churchyard adjoining the southern base of the tower...'
Alfred Gregory (1848)  B&W Tablet. Aged 18. '...interred in churchyard of All Saints.'
Mary Shergold (1840) white marble tablet on black surround
Henry Joseph Moule MA (1904) B&W tablet.
Joshua Churchill (1786) tablet
Henry Duncombe (1788)
white marble tablet with wreath, urn and arms
Elizabeth Cozens (1821) White marble tablet with urn against gray marble backing. Signed Gibbs
A wall brass records that the carved alabaster panel of the reredos was presented by Miss Ashley in memory of her uncle the late Earl of Shaftesbury (1899)
Early 18th century tablet with pilasters, urns and cartouche, Illegible inscription and arms.
There are several floor slabs, brasses and indents.

Fifehead Magdelene  -  St Mary Magdelene
O/S Ref: ST 783 216

Above and right (details): Sir Richard Newman Bt (1721), his wife Frances (1730), his son Samwell (1747), his daughters Frances (1775) Barbara (1763) & Elizabeth (1774) . Marbles.
Top: Thomas Newman (1649) & son Richard (1664) RCHM says marble tablet is 17th and the stone surround probably 18th century.
Bottom:  George Davidge (1772), his wife Joan (1759), and children John (17440, Hester (1758) and George (1772)

Frampton - St Mary
O/S Ref: 627 950
Joan (Browne) Cocker (1653) & baby William 
The tomb chest and recess are modern.
Note the shrouded child below the inscription
Left, above and below: Rear Admiral Sir John Browne (1627) & Joan (Portman). The two effigies remain with fragments of the dismantled monument; the tomb chest itself is modern.

Above (detail of next)

John Browne (1750) Note the inscription. Marble

Next Right:
 Elizabeth Ann Sheridan Date illegible


Right and above (detail): Ann Browne (1714). Aged 15. Daughter of Robert & Frances Browne.

Far left: John Browne (1771) Varicoloured marbles  by  John Ford of Bath
Left: Susanna Browne (1790) Daughter of Robert and Frances Browne
Right and above detail: Robert Browne (1772) Varicoloured marbles by John Ford of Bath 
Far Right:
Francis Browne (1740) Buried in St Clement Danes, Westminster, near her daughter Elizabeth (1721) The monument is dated 1751
Below:Robert Browne (1734) This is the inscription only

Above far left: Charles ---naird Sheridan (1847); Caroline Henriette Sheridan (185-); James Colque-- Shridan (186-); Francis John Rogers Sheridan (1877); Maria Marcia Sheridan (1884); Richard Brinsley Sheridan; Helena Charlotte Sheridan (1893); Mary Lothrop Sheridan (1918); Algernon Thomas Brinsley Sheridan (1931). 'At rest by the riverside'. John Lothrop Motley Sheridan (1946); Sophie Florence Lothrop Wavertree Sheridan (1952), Baroness CBE, LGStJ; Algeron Brinsley Sheridan (1962). 'At rest by the stream'. Alice Louisa Sheridan (1962); Vernon Adolphus Sheridan (2003); Algernon Brinsley Sheridan (1997).
Near left:  Frances Johnson (1806) Daughter of Rev John Richards and wife of Francis John . By Westmacott, London
Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1902) by E Fuchs 1902 
Near right:
Unknown - exterior monument 
Far right:
Robert Browne (1757) son of Robert and Frances Browne. Marbles

Gillingham - St Mary 
NB: Unlike the Kent town of the same name, this is pronounced with a hard initial G 
O/S Ref: ST 808 265

 Frances Diroe (1733). The arms are Diroe impaling White The figures represent the commemorated and her two sisters, or the Three Graces
The Rev John Jesop, Vicar of Gillingham, (1625) & Dr Thomas Jessop (1615)  One effigy (probably that of Thomas) is below a wall arch while the other (John) is below a totally free standing arch.There appear to be various fragments behind and on top of the effigy under the wall arch.
Edward Read (1779) and other members of his family.  Marble tablet with slate surround. by Francis Lancashire & Son of Bath Sir Henry Dirdoe (1724)
Latin inscription
Marble by John Bastard of Blanford
John Pern vicar (1770) and others of his family. Marble Mary (Goddard) Helyar (1750) Marble  Mary Read (1764) Marble
Above:  Anne Wheildon (1861)

Thomas Godwin and his daughter Sarah (both 1814) Marble by Langley of Hinton
Edward Sly (1795) and other members of his family, 1805-37. Marble
Both the monuments to the left are illegible; the nearer is probably Edward Davenport (1679) Slate with painted Latin inscription; the other John Tunney (1728) Marble (RCHM))

Godmanstone - Holy Trinity
O/S Ref: SY 666 974
Above: Margaret Jane Goodenough (1834)
Right: Revds. George (1844), Murray (1850) & Matthew ( 1852) Vicars The latter was Rector here and Perpetual Curate of Nether Carne
Far Right:
Frances Helen Wainewright (1852) plaster relief

Hinton  St Mary - St Peter
O/S Ref: ST 787 161  One of those unusual villages where the name of the village and dedication of the church differ


Above left: Richard Castleman (1771)
and others of the same family
Above centre:
Richard Castleman (1771) and others of the same family 
Above right (detail of skull) and far right: Thomas Freke (1655)

Horton -St Wolfreda
O/S Ref: SU 030 075

Left, above and immediately right: Knight Purbeck marble,  early 14th century, said to be Sir Giles Baose (1305)
Lady Stone, early 14th century, said to be Beatrice Boase

Far right: 'The Body of Miss VICTORIA UVEDALE Daughter of William Uvedale [and] of Elizabeth his wife) who dyed the 3rd day of June AD 1680 Aged 6 Years and 9 Months is interred under this Marble which is laid upon her by the Will of her dear Aunt Mrs LUCY UVEDALE who is also buried in this Chancel'

Mappowder - St Peter & St Paul
Church unlocked. Park in the unclassified road outside the church.  O/S Ref: ST 735 059

Above: Minature (18" long) effigy of knight now in recess near east end of south aisle. He holds a heart or casket indicating likely heart burial.
Left & Right:
Two of three tablets formerly in the chancel but following 19th century restorations are now in the tower; the third is too high to reasonably photograph.
On the left is the lower monument which is on the north wall. To Elizabeth Jeffrey  (Cocker) (1644). Above this (not shown) is to Mary Brune (Cocker) (1636)
On the right the monument on the south wall. To Robert Cocker (1624), wife Amy (1648) and son Robert (1643)

Marnhull - St Gregory
O/S Ref: ST 781 187


John Carnet (c. 1478) Husband and two wives in alabaster. The stone tomb chest is 19th century work, possible a copy of the original alabster a fragment of which is set in the south side. 

Rev Conyers Place MA (1738), and wife Mary (1741) '...one Son...CONYERS, the preſent Rector...) Rev Conyers Place AM (1778) Rector and wife Magdelene (1737).  Also their daughter Mary (1778) and three sons - Conyers, Conyers and William - who died in infancy. Rev Edward Place AM (17-8) Son of Rev Conyers Place, Rector. John Pope (1653) & Anna Pope (1676) Robert Warren (1596) Stone with brass insert by Lynel Brine
James Galpin (1829) Clarke fecit Blanford Thomas (1812) & Martha (1797) Burt   Left: Robert Harvey Place (1840) 4th son of John Conyers Place. Right: Rev Harry Place AM (1828) younger son of Conyers & Magdelene, who succeeded his father as rector; wife Jane (1807) Also Rev Harry Place (1807), younger son. ReevesBath

Melbury Osmond  - St Osmund
O/S Ref: ST 574 078
Left:  Mathew Jenkins

Above Left: John Perkins (1811) and His wife Mary (1832)

Above Right: John Perkins (1827), his daughter Maria (1828) his son John William Jenkins (1834) and his wife Mary (?)

Right: This is not a church monument as such but records the rebuilding and refurbishment of the church by the gift of Mrs Susanna Strangeways Horner

Above:  Sarah Perkins (1834), Susanna Perkins (1863) Mary Perkins (1867)

John Perkins 'existence was terminated the twenty fourth of June....' 1791; his sister Susanna (1799)

Melbury Sampford
The church is regretably on private propery but may be visited by prior appointment by contacting the secretary at Melbury Stamford House.
You probably won't find it on your Satnav but the O/S Ref is ST 578 060

Sir Giles Strangeways (1547) Also to his wife Joan (Mordaunt), his wife. Alabaster and Purbeck marble. Possibly a Brouning and only appropriated by the the Strangeways who built the house. William Brouning (1467) Also to  Katherine (Dru) & Alice (Burton) his wives. Erected by Alice in 1647. Tomb chest and canopy of Purbeck marble; effigy of alabaster.  Identical to the left.

Sir John Strangways (1666) Susannah (Strangeways) Horner (1758) White marble on Purbeck backing Grace (Wood) wife of Rev William Samm Stephen, Earl of Ilchester (1776) There are very similar monuments to Thomas Strangeway sen (1713), Susannah (Ridout) (1718) his wife & John Strangeways (1716); and another to his children (1706): Sussanah (1678), Giles (1698), Wadham (1694/5) & Henry (1706) Stephen Fox-Strangeways, Lord Stavordale (1848)


Above and left (detail): Denzil Vesey Fox-Strangeways (1901) The dog looks like it would grace an early 20th century mantlepiece

: Caroline Leonora Stephen, Countess of Ilchester (1821) White marble by Chantrey
Above: John Brouning & Eleanor (Fitz-Nycholl) his wife; also William Brouning & Katherine (Dru) his wife c1500 Sir Gyles Strangeways (1562 Thomas (1726) & Susannah Strangeways Marbles. According to Horace Walpole the Latin inscription is by Dr Friend  Strangeways family

Milton Abbas - Milton Abbey
O/S Ref: ST 798 023

Left:  Baron Hambro (1877) marble effigy and tombchest with stone canopy designed by Scott
Above: Baroness Hambro

Above: Caroline (Sackville) Damer (1775) the 1st wife of Lord Milton, the builder of the house. White matble. Designed by Robert Adam and carved by Agostino Carlini
Mary (Tregonwell) Banks (1703/4), James Banks (1724) & John Banks (1725)

 Perbeck marble monument appropriated by Sir John Tegonwell (1565), who had bought the estate and buildings at the dissolution of the abbey when the abbey church became the pari
The majority of the photographs on the Dorset pages were supplied by Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade; to whom grateful thanks for her more than helpful contributions. Thank you also to the church authorities at Whitchurch Canonicorum for supplying their photographs and to Ms Penny Barge for the photographs at Minterne Magna. The photographs at Bridport, Dorchester and Mappowder were taken by the Web Master.
< Home - Index - Page>  <Dorset - 2>  <Top of Page>