DORSET - 4

Sherborne Abbey Silton Stalbridge  Stourton Caundle  Tolpuddle Trent  Wareham Priory  (West Chelborough) West Knighton  West Stafford Wimborne Minster Wimborne St Giles Whitchurch Canonicorum 
 Winterborne Came

< Home - Index - Page>   <Dorset - 1>  <Dorset - 2>  <Dorset - 3>
 
Sherborne Abbey 
Church open during normal hours and very welcoming. Park in one of the pay car parks. The church and town are well worth a long detour.  Website 
O/S Ref: ST 638 164

Above top from left to right: Abbot Clement ( 1150) Purbeck marble; top part of slab only remains. Latin inscriptions identifies him. Priest (13th century) Purbeck marble. An Abbot (13th century) Purbeck marble. The priest and the unknown abbot are also shown below.
Above bottom: The Anglo-Saon Chronicle states that King Ethelbald and King Etherlbert were elder bothers of King Ethelred (buried at Wimborne, q.v.) and of the more famous youngest  King Alfred (buried at Hyde Abbey, Winchester, q.v.) . Excavations have revealed no remains and their only monument is this modern brass set into the floor.
Left: John Digby, 1st Earl of Bristol (1698) & his two wives, Alice (1658) and Rachel (1708/9) Very large marble standing monument. Corinthian columns, urns, arms, putti. Effigies of John Digby and his two wives; he holds his coronet; his wives hold burning hearts.  signed by Nost
Above and right: John Leweston (1584)  & Joan (1579)  By Allen Maynard
Below left top:
John Lewesten (1584) The last of his line of Leweston Manor. 'There is no trace of the tablet originally in this frame, or the wording thereon. The plate was placed here in 1921 by George Hamilton Fletcher of Leweston Manor.'
Below left bottom:
George Hamilton Fletcher  as above.  No date
Below centre left:
Gareth Hamilton Fletcher (1915) Kia 'in the front trenches at Cuinchy, La Bassée, France'
Below centre right:
Laurence Rowe Fisher-Rowe (1915) 'The Old Friend' Lt Col the Grenadier Guards. Dow Battle of Neve, France.
Below right:
Robert (1726) & Mary (1729), 2nd son and eldest daughter of  John Digby above. Marble tablet with epitaph by Pope


Johan Walcot (1630) English inscription
Above and near right:Sir John Horsley (1546) & son (1564). Sir John bought the Abbey at the Dissolution. White stone, two recumbent effigies on tomb chest with shields; canopy.  Coat of arms in lozenge against back wall The rather exotic armour is based on that worn in about 1470. The monuments was originally in the north transept.

Next Right:
John Eatmont (1722/3) Latin inscription

 
Other Monuments
Sarah, daughter of Charles King (1710) Floor slab, ambulatory
Emorbus Johnson (1614/15) Floor slab, St Sepulchre chapel
George Brown (1709) & wife Izor (1711); Dorcas (1679), wife of James Brown & their daughters, Dorcas (1689/90) & Unity (1701); George Brown (1692) Floor slab, ambulatory
Eliza, wife of James Pidle (1710); Simon Aish & others Floor slab, ambulatory

If you visit Sherborne Abbey after, say, Wimborne Minster you may wonder why there are so few wall monuments: the answer is that most of them have been resited - and tucked away - in Bishop Roger's chapel at some time in the past. The room may be locked but a member of staff will be happy to show it to you. I photographed most of them but many are set very high and difficult to read especially as I did not have a good enough lens to render reading possible.

Carew Hervy Mildmay (1784) & first wife Dorothy (1743). A very large wall monument with draperies, lion, obelisk and urn. Portrait medallions of commemorated and his wife. By Thomas Carter of Picadilly  John Cooke (1766) & Penelope (1767) Marble 'Near this place he interred the remains of...'
The upper tablet to the right of the above is to James Fellowes (1799) & Jane (1828) surgeon. '...whose remains are deposited in the vault of St Mary's Church, Lambeth'
Below this: John Beale (1831) & Sarah (1820) '...in a vault near this tablet'
Top:'AGED 78 BLIND 72 YEARS'

No name or dates; all the S are reversed
Bottom:
Jeremiah Cuffe (1673) & Jerimiah, his father (1684/5) Slate tablet
Above are a number of high set wall tablets which are set high and which I could not clearly photographs; below is a list of wall momuments in the chuch some of which may well correspond with those above
Walter Cowth (1675) Stone tablet with two panels
Dr John Bartlett (1703) Slate wall tablet, incised with cartouche
John Derbie (1713) & Mary (1717) Alabaster wall monument with tassels, lamps and cartouche.
Mary (1741) , wife of Rev John King. Marble & stone wall monument with Doric columns & urn.
Jeph. John of Lincoln's Inn (1742) Marble wall monument with scrolls and urn.
James Blackmore (1746) & Anne (1745) Marble wall monument with broken pediment and urn.
John Wickham (1751) & Esther (1745/6), his first wife & Gertrude 1789), His second. Marble wall monument with urns and black cartouche in rococo frame.
George Buchanan (1826) Wall monument with shield with arms.
Samuel Whitty (1833) & others. Wall tablet by T Tyler of Bristol
Pemberton Methuen (1835) Tablet by G Crawford
Alfred & John Walter Butterworth (1835) As above
 Silton - St Nicholas 
O/S Ref: ST 783 293
   
     
Sir Hugh Wyndham (1684) wearing judges' robes. By John Nost (1692) The figures at his feet represent his first two wives. Originally in the chancel.  
Albinus Martin (1790); his wife Mary (1824) & sons Albinus (1788), and Harry Martin (Clerk) (1832); his 1st wife Elizabeth (1806), and 2nd wife also Elizabeth (1823). Selina (1837) wife of Rev. Harry, son of Harry (Clerk) & his 2nd wife Elizabeth Dorothy (Morin) Kingeswell (1638)  Samuel Davies (1833) Marble tablet in stone surround by Chapman of From
Stalbridge - St Mary
Church open. Park in road outside
O/S Ref: ST 733 182
Above and below: Two table tombs of the late 15th or early 16th centuries; one has a cadaver effigy
Below far right: Head of medieval lady, now loose and on window sill. Was it from a lost tomb?
William Boucher (1836) Latin inscription. Osmund of Old Sarum  Thomas Weston & Anne ND painted stone 17th century. Weston impaling Willoughby John Douche (1675) rector and sons James & Charles (1674) Clunch with painted inscription. Sarah Bradford (1810), Rev Edward Bradford (1837), rector; son Edward Pager Bradford (1822) H. Hopper of London Ciscily Freke (1667); Francis Freke (1665)
 
William Weston (1727) Slate with painted lettering. Weston impaling Brune Above: Rev William Douche (1648) & Joanna (1667)
Below: Sgt Howard J Brown Dorset Q O Yeomanry. Kia Battle of Acacia, Egypt 1916
Rev William Gray (1814), wife Mary (1825), son William (1804), daughter Mary (1831) Jenkins of Poole  Mary Clarke (1840)  
L-Corp William Bradford 2/VIII King's Liverpool Regt. 1918 Burmese & Afghan Ward. 2 medals Robert Avis Gunner in RHA Won distinction in Crimea

Stourton Caundle - St John
Church will probable be open but you may need to check. Park in lane outside  There are no toilet facilities or water.
O/S Ref: ST 715 152

     
Left, above and right: [RCHM 1 & 2) 15th altar tomb with canopy; no indication to whom it belonged. Reset into this is a 15th century alabaster effigy of an unknown lady.

Information from RCHM, Dorset Vol. III, Part 2 

The following are set into the outside wall of the church: 

3) Richard Guyer (1754) Stone tablet with moulded surround.
4) John Haskall (1751) Stone tablet with moulded surround. Nave north wall

5) Richard Bidelcombe (1711) Stone tablet. West wall of porch.


 

Left: Aylen de Tavora Luis Ferbandes (1921)

Right:
The Serrell family 'buried in this church near this spot, according to the dates prefixed to their name'  I have omitted the surname in every case, except the last for obvious reasons.

1770 March, Samuel;
1770 May, John
, his twin brother;
1776, Elizabeth,
widow of Samuel Snr and mother of the above twins;  
1795 Elizabeth
, daughter of the above John;
1805 Mary
, widow of the above John;  
1813 Elizabeth
, daughter of the above Samuel & Elizabeth;
1813 Anne
, sister of the last named Elizabeth;
Post-captain John Haskolls RN
, son of the above John & Mary;
1862 Eliza,
widow of the above John Haskolls; 'lies buried beside her husband in the centre aisle...'.

Also:

1901 Dalton Haskolls JP , 3rd son of John Haskolls & Eliza. 'buried in the cemetery';
1923 Geraldine Agnes
1941 Alice Florence
The last were the daughters of Rev Henry Digby Serrell

Note: Post-captain is an obsolete Royal Navy rank to distinguish an officer with the rank of captain with the officer in charge of a ship who was, and still is, addressed as caption even if he is of a lower rank, such as commander.

Tolpuddle - St John
Church open. Park in road nearby. Village of the Tolpuddle Martyrs. Only one returned to his native village and died in the workhouse there; his grave in the church yard  is shown below
O/S Ref: SY 791 945
            
Philip, a priest, 12th century stone of Purbeck Marble. Reset in north transept. The inscription reads: SIQIS AMAT XPM QI SARCO[P]HAGVM [VIDET] IST[V]M DICAT PRESBITERO REQVIEM DA CRISTE PHILIPPO James Hammett (1891)
One of the Tolpuddle Martyrs, the only one who returned to the village

Trent - St Andrew
Park in village outside the church. The church is normally unlocked but the chapel where there are several monuments, has a locked barrier and is alarmed; some but not all of the monuments can be photographed over the barrier.
O/S Ref: ST 590 185
 
 
Above top: Civilian (14th century) stone, wears hooded gown and carries sword; feet on dog.
In this chapel there is also Knight (c. 1380) Stone, head on helm with crest of bird; feet also on dog;  I was unable to gain access to photograph this effigy.

Above Bottom & right: Priest (14th century) very damaged; in porch
Sir Francis Wyndham (1715/6) White marble tablet Revd William Henry Turner (1874) Recumbent effigy
with hand crossed over a Bible. By W Theed (1853)
Mary Turner (1866) George Beaver (1801)
   
Ann Gerard ( née Coker) (1633) Two side columns supporting an entablature with arms, supported by angels. Soffit of arch above painted with genealogical tree with shields of arms (forty of these) of Gerard and Coker and alliances.   Tristrum Storke (1530) & Alies. Painted stone panel with arms. Thomas Hussey (1630/31) Stone wall monument Lord Geoffrey Fisher of Lambert, Archbishop of Canterbury (1972) & his wife Rosamund (1986) . Simple wall tablets. Lord Fisher retired to Trent and he and his wife are buried in the church yard. 
Lucretia Putt (1813) Charles Douglas Fisher (1978) Headmaster in Australia Tablet Rev Thomas Back--m (18__) wall brass Elizabeth Martyn (1693) Marble panel
Other Monuments
William Gerard (1604)  Alabaster and slate tablet with pilasters and coat of arms
Sir Francis Wyndham, Bart. (1676) & A.W. (1698) White stone slab
Robert (1820) & Charlotte Down (1843): their son, Robert (1842) & Eizabeth Hart (1878); their son, William Head (1899) & Elizabeth (1825 ) Gray & white tabet
Henry Danby Seymour (1877)
brass with enamel plaque. Signed by Barlow

Left: H P
innard (1769) Rector ?

WAREHAM
There are two churches of interest, from our point of view, in Wareham at either end of the  B3075, which is North Street at the top end and becomes South Street where it is crossed by East Street/West Street about half way down; effectively the High Street. There's a conveniently placed and inexpensive car park signposted about half way. There are a number of eateries along the street but avoid the one that  serves only granary bread, unless you want to risk an expensive dental bill, of course. St Martin's-on-the-Wall is at the top end (and actually in North Street) and the Priory Church of Lady St Mary at the bottom - but a little off South Street in Church Lane. All are well signposted.
Churches aside, Wareham is a delightful town and well worth visiting.

Saint Martin's-on-the-Walls
On the old town wall at the top of North Street. There is no parking outside but there's a car park fairly near as mentioned above.
There's a notice on the door stating that the church may be open but, if not, the key may be obtained from a shop a short walk away on the opposite side of the road. The shops close Wednesday afternoon so that is a time to avoid. We visited Wednesday afternoon but hopefully will return
O/S Ref: SY 925 877

Priory Church of Lady St Mary
In Church Lane. You may park nearby but it is probably better to use the car park referred to above.
The church is normally open but only when there is a guide in attendance, although there is no information on the internet about this that I could find. I did contact the central Wareham church office for information but they did not reply. However the church was open and the guide, a lovely lady in her 90's, was very helpful and welcoming.
O/S Ref: SY 925 872







Left:
[RCHM 11] Probably Sir William d'Estoke (1294)
The shield is said to bear the arms vair and a chief for Estoke.
Formerly in St Edward's Chapel, now in chancel, north wall.




Right: [RCHM 12] Probably Sir Henry d'Estoke Mid 13th century.
 Formerly in St Edward's Chapel, now in chancel, south wall

Above from left to right:  1) [RCHM 1771] Andrew Trew (1771).  2) [RCHM 36] Robert Dugdale (1766), his nephew, also Robert Dugdale (1788), and his nephew, also Robert Dugdale (1851) And the latter's two wives: Elizabeth (1817) & Susannah (1848)  3) [RCHM 21]  Humphrey Giles (1789) and his wife, Sarah (1805)   4)Top [RCHM 9] : John Card (1822) and wife Theresa (1826) Signed: WARREN WAREHAM.;   Bottom: [RCHM 10] Robert Card RN (1826)  5) [RCHM 32] Arthur Adams (1774)
[RCHM 30] Joan Buxton (1766) [RCHM 35] Thomas Wade Pink (1855), his wife Mary (1852) and their daughter Patty (1810) Signed: G & W Slade, Dorchester [RCHM 23] Sarah Clark (1820) [RCHM 22] Rev John Hutchins AM (1773) Rector of Wareham and Swyre, and author of The History and Antiquities of Dorset. [RCHM 18] George Ryves Hawker MA (1789) 'Rector of the united Parishes of this Borough' And his infant daughter, Caroline
[RCHM 28] Mary Wright (1805)
Signed: Hiscock, Poole
[RCHM 27] Harry Tuck (1776) and his wife, Mary (1767) [RCHM 29] John Barker (1819) and his wife Maria (Mill) (1826)
Signed: I Kendall, Exon
[RCHM 31] Thomas Baskett (1821) 'Also in the same grave the remains of his Wife who died 2nd March 1792' Another 'Pevsner' here but at least his unnamed wife is given a capital letter! Signed Warren, Wareham   [RCHM 13] Geo Gigger (1894) and his sister , Eliz Chapman (1802)

Other Monuments
(The reference numbers below refer to the RCHM listing)
 1)  Cpt George Lefebure (1812) Royal Horse Artillery. 
 2)  Mjr Gen Sir Granby Thomas Calcraft Kn (1820) 1st Reg of Light Dragoons & 32 Reg of Dragoon Guards (son of J) 
 3)  Mjr Charles Lefebure (1810) Royal Engineers. KIA Fort Matagorda (Spain)
 4)  Richard Calcraft (1819) (son of J)
 5)  Mjr William Calcraft (1809) 7th Light Dragoons
 6) Elizabeth Calcraft (1815) Wife of John Calcraft. Signed: Bacon
 
7) John Calcraft MP (1772)
 
8) Rt Hon John Calcraft PC MP (1831)
 
9) see above
10) see above
11) see above

12) see above
13) see above
14)  Robert Carruthers RN (1799) surgeon, amd his wife, Isabella (1786). '...their remains are deposited in the church of St Martin with four infant children...'. Their sons: Capt Ned Carruthers RM (1801), drowned at sea in HMS Invincible aged 30; Lt Chas Lawrence Carruthers (1804) aged 28; and Cpt Walter Serling Carruthers RM (1810), drowned at sea in HMS Rodney, aged 29.
15) Henrietta Carruthers (1825) With draped urn
16) Thomas Garland (1828), his wife Betty (Watts) (1805), nine children and others
17) William Dugdale (1844), mayor, his wife Mary (1824)  and five children. Signed Lester Dorcester
18) see above
19) Tomb recess, late 13th century. South wall
20) Tomb recess, late 13th century

21) see above
22) see above
23) see above
24) Rev George Hooton Hyde MA (1828) and wife Diana (1825) and four children. Signed: T Tyler, Bristol
25) 'In the vault beneath are deposited the remains of...' Elizabeth Satines (1809); her son, Joseph Staines (1824); his widow, Fanny (1846). 'And also in memory of...' Rev Joseph Staines Cope (1902), buried at Chaldon Herring; his wife, Elizabeth Pyle (1838); and their son William Henry (1832), aged 6 months. Signed: Osmund, Sarum
26) Thomas Bartlett (1803), his wife, Alicia (Oldfield) (1779), two children and aslo son Thomas (1836) and his wife Anne (Vincent) (1799) and their son John (1770)
27) see above
28) see above
29) see above
30) see above
31) see above
32) see above
33) An arch from a 14th century tomb recess now set over entrance to Saint Edward's Chapel.
34) see above
35) see above
36) see above
A) Commander John Hales Montagu Calcraft MP (1868) RN.
B) William Montagu Calcraft (1901) (son of JH, MP). 4)

C) John Hales Calcraft MP (1880) (son of Rt Hon J)

West Chelborough - St Andrew
O/S Ref: ST 442 055
A lady of the Kymer family, early 17th century; she is presented lying in bed under a blanket with a small child.
With thanks to Jean McCreanor for sending me a print of this curiosity; I have not seen it
West Knighton  - St Peter
O/S Ref: SY 733 876
Above: Anne Floyer (1746), Mary Richards (1758), John Floyer (1789), Jane Floyer (1808), Mrs Mary Richards (1804)
Right: Catherine Waddle (180_)
Far Right:
John Adair Hawkins (1842)  & Jane (WIlliams) (1863) his wife. Marbles
West Stafford - St Andrew
O/S Ref: SY 726 896
Canon Reginald Southwell Smith (1895)


 Blanche Exerton (no dates) 
   

Richard Russell (1638) & Richard Russell (1660) & Richard Russell (1667) Rectors and Patrons. Marble and slate. Erected 1674
 
John Gould (177)
Marble
 
Above:William England DD Archdeacon of Dorset (1835) & Margaret, his widow (1837) Signed Lester, Dorchester.
Whitchurch Canonicorum
Shrine of St Wite A complete but plain stone shrine - very rare. The three "portholes" in the front of medieval shrines are said to have been based on the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem where the actual rock slab on which Jesus's body lay was clad in marble to either protect the rock or hide the damage that had been done to it; the three holes allowed pilgrims to see and touch the rock. shown (shown)
Thomas de Lude (1300) part of brass of a foliated cross
John Wadham (1584) Tablet of two panels, against the top of the left panel, a brass inscription
Sir John Jeffrey (1611) Standing monument with recumbent effigy with much intricate strapwork on the chest and on the back wall
Admiral Sir George Summer (1611) Brass of 1903 paid for by public subscription. He sailed with Raleigh
O/S Ref: SY 397 954
Wimborne Minster
Park in one of the town's pay car parks. Open for visitors Monday - Friday 9.30am - 5.30pm; Sunday 2.30pm - 5.30pm.  Website
My favourite church of all, which I first visited in 1966 and which celebrated its 1300 years in 2005.  Not only does it have a fine collection of monuments with examples of many types but also  much else of interest, including   but also an astronomical clock and a chained library. It also has the only brass to an English King (actually King of Wessex).
The church and the town itself are well worth a long detour.
O/S Ref: SZ 009 999
Wimborne Minster,  Unusual if not now actually Peculiar

Wimborne Minster has an unusual dedication: St Cuthburga who was the sister of King Ine of Wessex and wife of King Alfrith of Northumbria as well as the founder of the church at Wimbourne as a Benedictine abbey of nuns in 705. This abbey was destroyed by the Danes in 1013 although some of the buildings remained and it was refounded as a collegiate church - governed by a dean and twelve canons - by King Edward the Confessor in 1043. John of Berwich whose 19th century brass plate is shown below was the fifth dean. The form of organization is similar to a cathedral but a collegiate  church is not the seat of a bishop. In 1318 King Edward II granted the church status as a Royal Peculiar, that is a church which is not subject to the jurisdiction of the bishop of the diocese in which it is situated. The collegiate church was dissolved by King Henry VIII who confiscated much of the wealth. Queen Elizabeth I in 1562 granted  certain rights and prerogatives of the church affairs twelve governors; it remained a peculiar. This latter status was abolished in 1846 but the twelve governors still have control over some of the church's affairs.



Joseph Collett (1621) & unamed Wife. 'who conveyed to trustees certain lands in the parish of Corfe Castle, the proceeds of which were to be applied to the relief of five poor men and five poor women of this parish in equal shares'. The tomb was rebuilt by the trustees in 1825

 

'The Man in the Wall'


A Fitzpiers (late 13th century) knight Mutilated. Arms on damaged shield and nearby wall suggests attribution; the Fitzpiers were once lords of the manor of Hinton Martell. On 17th century table tomb.
 
Broken slab with cross in relief: no details
Above: Anthony Etricke (1703) - "The Man in the Wall".Black slate coped sarcophagus with painted shields; on it the date 1703, which has been clearly altered from 1693, the date he (incorrectly) foretold his death. He was recorder of Poole and the Duke of Monmouth was brought before him after the Battle of Sedgemoor. An eccentric man, he was offended by the people of Wimborne so declared he would be buried neither in their church, nor without it, neither in their ground, nor above it. Afterwards, desiring to be buried with his ancestors but not willing to break his vow, he obtained permission to be buried in the wall where his coffin was placed in his lifetime.



Left top: 'Underneath lie the remains of John de Berwick Dean of this church 1312'
Dean John de Berwick (1312) Slab with 19th century brass plate, once part of table tomb around which parishioners used to meet annually to enquire into the affairs of the parish. The title dean here indicates that Wimborne Minster was collegiate church.

 

The Beaufort Tomb
John Beaufort, Duke of Somerset (1444) & Margaret (Beauchamp). Hand holding alabaster effigies on Purbeck tomb chest. His feet rest on a lion; hers on a boar.

   




John Beaufort, Duke of Somerset, was son of John Beaufort, Earl of Somerset (1410) who was one of the children of John of Gaunt, son of Edward III, and his mistress Catherine Swynford; the Beauforts were later legitimized but the line was barred from any claim to the throne. This John, the First Duke, Fought in France during the latter part of the Hundred Years War to varying effect  but was not made Regent because of the rise of the Duke of York during the early part of the Wars of the Roses. He was brother of Edmund, the Second Duke, who was killed at the First Battle of St Alban's in 1455. He was  father of Lady Margaret Beaufort, the mother of King Henry VII.  The ban from the throne was clearly cancelled by the Batlle of Bosworth!
The steel plate engraving of the tomb  is from Edward Blore's book. 





The Ethelred Brass

King (Saint) Ethelred I (871)
  Brass demi-figure made around 1440. He was king of Wessex and King Alfred's elder brother and died of wounds fighting the Danes at Merton, near Cranborne. The inscription, added 250 years later, gives the date of death as 873 on St George's Day. The brass is set in a Purbeck slab which may have covered the original grave.  It was cut to size in 1857 and is now set in the chancel wall, although it was set in the chancel floor certainly as late as 1966.


Elenor Dickenson (1571)
damaged brass; wall mounted
This brass plate was inserted to the memory of his ancesters interred within this vault by Edmund George Bankes of Kingston Lacy. Nov 1856. The vault from henceforth being forever closed'This brass plate was inserted to the memory of his ancesters interred within this vault by Edmund George Bankes of Kingston Lacy. Nov 1856. The vault from henceforth being forever closed'
Gertrude Courtenay, Marchioness of Exeter (1558) Purbeck marble tomb chest; edge retains part of black letter brass inscription. Brass shields lost from sides of the tomb chest. She and her husband were found guilty of treason under Henry VIII, her husband being executed. She was imprisoned in the Tower but later pardoned. William Ettricke (1716) large white marble tablet with arms




Sir Edmund Uverdale (1606) Alabaster painted
John Rolles (1779) & Mary (1780) Their daughter Mary (1748 age 20). John Fryer (1810) & Ann (1812), daughter of the above. Their children: John & Thomas (died in infancy), Henry (1819) & Jane (1827) Top: Thomas Hanham (1650) of Middle Temple. Painted alabaster; two kneeling figures facing each other across a prayer desk. Arms and inscription. is a tablet with the name "Snodgrass" and together with the name "Wardell" in the baptistry is said to have been seen by Charles Dickens and used by him in Pickwick Papers  Top: Mrs Elizabeth Reek (1802)

Bottom: Margaret Ford (1819) wife of John MD FLS

Left bottom: John Ray Les Wardell  (1810 aged 8)

Above: Sir Edmund Uverdale. Effigy (see above left for complete tomb)
Right:
Possibly the slab, now fractured and wall mounted, covering a vault. The name reads __GULLIVE_
Above: Elizabeth Loader (1777) her husband John (1802) Their daughter Elizabeth White (1825)
Left: James Lovell (1814) and below: Richard Lovell (1778) & Sarah (1773)
Harry Constantine (1712), Mary (1704); their son Rev Harry (1748), his wife Wiliams.  Marble. Erected by William Fitch in 1705 during his lifetime for his parents, buried in the vault below. His wife Ann, himself and immediate offspring. No other names or dates given George Beethell (1742)
William Warham (1612)  and family: Anthony & Honor. Anna (1741), wife of Anthony (erected by Anthony 1746) stone and marble. Mary Russell (1773) widow of William, one of the ministers of this church Bartholemew Lane (1679) Slate with stone surround. Thomas Fox (1730) tablet with Latin inscription George Ellis Beethall (1741)
Thomas Fox (1830), Iana (= Jane?) Son Nathaniel Rector of Poyntington Anne Mary Caroline Linthorpe (1885) & her sister Caroline (1888) Top: Edward Butt (1781) & 3 sisters:
Abigail, Elizabeth & Mary
Lower: Margaret (1803)- his widow -
and their son Rev Edward Butt (1842), Vicar of Tollertratham
Issac Gulliver (1798) & Edward Wagg (1799), his son-in-law Nicholas Russel (1763). 'Forty five Years Receiver of the Revenues of this Collegiate CHURCH...' Also his son Richard (1772)
John Moore (17__) Edmund Barnes (1926) was chorister from 1850-1858 and bequeathed a legacy in favour of the Wimborne Minster Choir and Organ Fund, which maintains the organ and provides for the choir school. He was first mayor of London Borough of St Pancras 1900-1902 Charles Waldo Lionel Churchill (DOW 1902) 2nd Lt, died at Bushbult, South Africa. Only son. '...mortally wounded charging a body of rebels mear Lucknow...1858...' William George Hawtrey Bankes VC (1858) Cornet, 7th Hussars, gained his VC in the Indian Mutiny. Aged 21 W. E(tricke) (1663)

slate ledger stone
Monuments Not Illustrated

Dean Thomas Brembre (1361) slab, not in situ

'Willm Smith '(1587) 'Vicker of Sturminster'. Wall brass, text only. The wording suggests he was incumbent after his death!
Wife of Anthony Wayte (1619) floor slab, part inscription
Elizabeth Pope (1663) small stone panel
Robert Russel (1718) slate floor slab,arms
John Moyle (1719) tablet. This is the best of a series of late 17th and early 18th century tablets
George Bethel (1782) tablet
John Bayles Wardell (1810) age 8. Tab with simple sarchopagus
George Leckie (1812) B&W Tab
Percival Hart Dyke MA (1919) Canon of Salisbury; Rector of Compton Abbas. B&W Tablet similar to the above
Rev Charles Bowle (1841) 'for forty years one of the ministers of this parish'. Gothick tablat
Anthony Sarjeant (1829), Mary (1803), their children Jane (1811), Sophia (1822), James (1824), Mary Sutton (1840) Large B&W Tablet
Charles Onslow (1884) 'Presbyter of this Minster' Wall brass, text only.
Francis John Huyshe (1905) Vicar for 24 years.  B&W Tablet
Wimborne St Giles - St Giles
O/S Ref: SU 033 120
First Earl of Shafesbury (1683)  Marble made later in 1732; bust by J. M. Rysbrack Marble Third Earl of Shafesbury (1712)
Granite
 Fourth Earl of Shafesbury (1771) Designed by James Stuart and made by Thomas Scheemakers Marble Fifth Earl of Shafesbury (1811)
 
Marble by Rudolf Schadow 1819
 
Cropley Ashley-Cooper
6th  Earl of shafesbury (1831)
Anthony Victor George Allsopp, Midshipman RN (1914 aged 15) He served in HMS Hogue which with two other ships were torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine Sir Anthony Ashley Bt (1628) & Jane (Okeover) A daughter (Anne) kneels on the floor in front of the monument. She was wife of Sir John Cooper and mother of the 1st Earl. Clunch and alabaster.
A series of 19th century wall monuments, all slightly different
 Anthony Maurice William Ashley (1855), buried at Lausanne Caroline Mary Neeld (1869) & Harriet Anne Corry (1868) sisters Constance Emily ... (1872) Mary Charlotte Ashley Cooper (1861)
Sir John de Plecy
The church was damaged by a fire in 1908 and this effigy is mainly a copy of the early 14th century effigy which was here before the fire.
Winterborne Came - St Peter
O/S Ref: SY 705 884
Dorathy (Baylie) Meller (1591)
Tomb and brass on back wall of tomb; a further brass with arms is obscured by the flowers
Lady Mary Seymour
(churchyard)
Lionel Arthur Henry Seymour Dawson-Damer, 6th Earl of Portarlington (1959) & Air Comm. George Lionel Yuill Seymour Dawson-Damar, Vicount Carlow  (kia 1914) son of the above.


Harriet Voss (1865) 'This tablet is erected by the Revd Lord Sidney G Osborne and in family in whose service she lived for 25 years...'
Rev  William England (1846) and his wife Elizabeth (Dampier) (1874)  By Osmond, Sarum Hon Lionel Damer (1807) , son of the 1st Earl of Dorchester and Williamsea (Jannsen)  (1825), his widow. Signed J Browne (London) 1839 Caroline, Countess of Portarlington (1813) Signed J Browne (London)
Buried at Milton Abbey
Louisa Frances Dawson Damer (1847) & others. By Lester, Dorcheste
John (no date) and Anne (1610/11) Meller. Arms on back wall  can just be seen.
 
<Top of Page>  < Home - Index - Page>   <Dorset - 1>  <Dorset - 2>  <Dorset - 3>