Beaminster Bere Regis  Bridport Charminster Church Knowle   Cranborne  Canford Magna   Dorchester  Fifehead Magdelene Frampton 

< Home - Index - Page>   <Dorset - 2>  <Dorset - 3>  <Dorset - 4>

 The mutlti-volume RCHM work is well worth looking at, Dorset being the most completly surveyed county in England.
NB There are often more monuments in the churches below as well as those listed..

Bere Regis - St John Baptist
O/S Ref: SY 847 947

Above left: John Skerne & Family (1593)  Monument Erected by his wife Margaret in 1596 (Chancel) Details of the brasses are shown above cemtre bottom.  Details of the figures and heraldry are shown below rows 1, 2 and 3
Above centre top:
Turberville family early 16th century monument.  Purbeck marble. The bottom photograph has been dealt with above.
Above right: 
Monument said to be to the Turberville family (early 16th century)  Detail below shows brass indents. The small indent between the figures is probably a Trinity
The first three columns have been dealt with above. 3rd Column: Anna Maria Radclyffe (1854); her husband Charles James (1882); their son Charles James (1913); his wife Blanche (1927) and their son Mjr Eustace (1950). Fourth Column: Robert Williams (1631) Latin inscription

Bridport - St Mary
Church open. Pevsner seems to suggest that the church is out of town: it is not. From the A35 roundabout continue to town centre on East Street (B3162), then turn left at the town hall clock along South Street (B3156). The church is then on the right. You can park in South Street nearby. O/S Ref: SY 465 925
Late 13th century knight. The face has been heavily recut in modern times giving him a WWI rather than a medieval appearance!

Other Tablets

Josiah Northcote Teed (1807) and his wife Mary (1803)

Carlotte Carpenter (née Roberts) (1816)
buried in church yard. Also to her eldest son, Henry Roberts (1801 aged 'about 14') He was midshipman aboard HMS Scout Sloop of War ehich foundered November 1801 on the banks of Newfoundland on the way to Halifax, Nova Scotia, when all hands perished. Also to her second son, William (1787 aged 8) . Also to three other sons who died in infancy, Edward Thomas George and Samuel. [I count four but there are no commas!] Her husband Thomas was buried in his family vault at Chiselborne. The monument was erected by their only surviving son, then a field officer in Madras in 1841.

Jane Tatum (1829)

Stephen Wretham JP (1860)
Far left: Harriet Templer (1905)
Samuel Bull (1777)
Henry Wyndham Francis Blackburne Farrer. (1918) Major RFA. MC 2 Bar; Croix-de-Guerre; 1914 Star. KIA Mazinghein aged 24. Son of the then Rector

Charminster - St Mary
O/S Ref: SY 679 927
Above left: One of the two Trenchard tombs in the Trenchard chapel. The two tombs are very similar: This has a pendant from the canopy and indents for brasses on back wall; the other has panelling on the underside of the canopy. Purbeck marble
Above right (detail) and far right: Grace Pole (1636).
The colouring was carried out in recent times.

Other Monuments (Black & White Tablets)
Rev Morgan Devenish MA (1857); his widow Ann (1886); their eldest son Morgan (1856) Cptn of the Dorset Militia
Martha Anne Meyer (1903) Last surviving child of the above, widow of Capt Meyer RN
John Meyer (1861) Son of above. Lost at sea off the Indian coast aged 19.
Cpt Adolphus Frederick Maximillian Meyer RN (1913) Husband of Martha (above)
William Robert Meyer (1910) Only son of he above; surgeon on SS Fulani; died at sea.
Thomas Nicholls (18--). his wife Mary (18--) & their son Thomas William (18--)
Arthur Symonds (1937)

Church Knowle - St Peter
O/S Ref: SY 941 819
Above left and centre: John Clavell (1572) and his two wives. The monument is of the Purbeck Marble type, as those above, but is not Purbeck Marble but rather Portland Sone. The several brasses of figures and heraldry are shown below:-
First column: kneeling figures of children of Myllicent (Gyfford) Clavell. Her heraldic shield is shown above. The brass inscription plate, originally below the figure, is missing. Second column:  Kneeling figure, heraldic shield and inscription plate of John Clavell; Third column: Susan (Coker) Clavell, kneeling figure, heraldic shield and inscription plate.
Above right: Thomas Cockram (1699)

Cranborne  -  St Mary & St Bartholomew
O/S Ref: SU 051 132


Above left:  John (1571) & Margaret Hawles. Purbeck marble. Latin inscription.
Above right: John & Elizabeth (Chafin) Hooper c 1600
Far right:
John & Elizabeth (Chafin) Hooper c 1600

Far left
Anne (Moore) Hooper (1637), Katherine Hooper (1637), her husband Thomas Hooper (1638) & others of the same family. Also Katherine (Fleming) Wyndham (1693) sometime wife of Edward Hooper.
Left and above:John Elliot (1641) Alabaster
Susannah (Morris) Stillingfleet (1647) Painted slate in stone surround

Far left: Frances Ann Carnegie (1867)
Near: John Miles (1854) He left a bequest to the benefit of four poor men and four poor women of the parish. Signed Osmond Sarum
Rev Henry Donne B.C.L.  J.P (1830) 44 years vicar of the parish. And his wife Catherine (1820) Signed (twice) Osmond Sarum
 'Near this place in the vault of Robert Prower MD are deposited the remains: of Lady Katharine Noel (1779); of Fanny Prower (1789) , wife of Robert above; of Robert Prower MD (1795), as above; of Rev Wm Storey AM (1797); of Harriet Rigby (1816), grand-daughter of Robert Prower; of Fanny Rigby (1827), widow of Rev Henry Rigby and daughter of Robert Prower.
Above right: Mariana Brouckner (1833) Signed: Saunders, New Road, Lodon
Above, beginning top left and then clockwise: Thomas (1789) & Ann Rebecca Stillingfleet (1803); Thomas (1815) & Elizabeth (1839?) Stillingfleet; Samuel (1750) & Mary Stillingfleet (1740); George Stillingfleet (1811 @ 16) Son of Thomas & Elizabeth
Right: :
William Miles (1806); son William (1821) and wife Charlotte (1847)

Dorchester - St Peter 

St Peter's Church is centrally situated  in the High Street and open during normal hours.  Park in one of the nearby pay car parks - reasonable cost - in the town.   

O/S Ref: SY 629 908

Two Knight late 14th century These two military effigies are similar but not at all identical and now rest on window ledges in the Hardy Chapel; they are said to have come from a Franciscan Friary or from an earlier church. [RCHM 9 & 8]

 [RCHM 18]  Denzil Lord Holles, Baron Ifield (1679/80) A large standing monument on which he reclines, wearing a wig and yet Roman costume, on a sarcophagus. Winged putti stand in front; these were originally on flanking pedestals which were destroyed when the monument was moved to its present position. It was erected by his nephew's son and heir, John Duke of Newcastle in 1699.

Denzel Holles (1599-1679/80) was a member of the Short and Long Parliaments for Dorchester. When in 1628 the speaker attempted to adjourn the House at the command of Charles I,  he together with Sir John Finch, held him down in his chair 'till we are pleased to rise'; for this action he was fined and imprisoned. He escaped and lived in banishment for seven or eight years. When Stafford, his brother-in-law, was on trial he attempted unsuccessfully to save him by trying to get the King to abolish episcopacy if parliament would drop the attainder. He constantly  opposed the King in parliament and was one of the 'Five Members' the King tried to arrest in the house while it was sitting. He raised a regiment of foot which fought at Edgehill. Thereafter Holles led the peace party and was one of the Commissioners sent by Parliament to propose a peace treaty with the King at Oxford in 1644. When the Army marched on London in 1647 he fled to Normandy but returned the next year when he was one of the Commissioners sent to negotiate the Treaty of Newport with the King, who was now prisoner on the Isle of Wight. Threatened with arrest on his return he again fled to France. Following the restoration he was made a Privy Councillor and a baron. He, however, opposed much of Charles II's policy in parliament.

  [RCHM 12]'... Erected by the three surviving children of...' William Churchill (1796) , buried at Puddle Hinton with his sister Elizabeth, wife of Nath. Templeton. Their mother Jane Churchill (1801) ...buried in the church with her daughter Sophia (1800).'   Below on separate tablet: '... In addition...'  Caroline Frances Churchill (1805 age 18) '... one of the above mentioned children....buried in this church by the side of her mother...'  
Far left: [RCHM 22] Thomas Hardy of Melcome Regis (1599)
Far right:
Edward Pearce (1817) '... for 50 years a banker in this parish...'Clara Jane Constance (Conybeare) Pearce Edgecumbe (1888) wife of Edward Robert Pearce Edgecumbe
Above from left to right:  1) Lt-Col Charles Strickland (1845) HM 35th Reg. And his wife Maria (1872)  2) Rev John White MA (1648) 40 years rector of this parish and also Holy Trinity, Dorchester  3) [RCHM 2] Rev Thomas Morton Colson A.B. (1830) & Mary (1833) Rector of Linkenholt Hants and Pilsdon, Dorset. Dark gray marble tablet with arms 4) [RCHM 11] John Bascombe Lock (1842) Cpt in the 5th Bengal Native Infantry. Died in the Khybur Pass. Signed, Slade

Far left: [RCHM 10] George Clark (1846), his wife Frances (1814) their sons Thomas (1846) & Charles (dow 1846) Cpt in Bengal 1st Regiment.
Far right:
[RCHM 4] Elizabeth Cozens (1821) White and gray marbles. Signed Gibbs. Below is a tablet to Henry Plowman Surgeon RN (1842) and his wife, Frances, Louisa (1857)

[RCHM 1] Altar Tomb (14th century)  in wall recess in chancel. Carved initials 'HW' and a merchant's mark as in roof of north chapel. [RCHM 5] Sir John William (1617) and his wife, Elenor (Uvedall) (1625). The centre is a black sarcophagus on the roof of which armour is placed. The couple kneel on either side, behind a pair of columns which carry an arch with Elizabethan motifs. Note the books the kneeling figures are reading propped up on the sarcophagus. Painted stone. Reset to this site and now unsympathetically blocked by organ.

Above from left to right: 1) [RCHM 18]  Mary Blandy (1844)  2) [RCHM 17]  George Churchill (1814) Son of William. Captain, 24th Reg. of Infantry; served many years in North America  3) [RCHM 20] John Willis (1834) Dpy Lt of Dorset  4) Edmund Ward Pears (1878) 14 years rector
Far left:
[RCHM 15] John Gordon (1774) '... He died at Dorchester Oct 4th, 1774 age 46. On his return to Jamaica where he had resided many years In Universal Esteem. He was signally instrumental In quelling a dangerous Rebellion in the Island In the Years 1760 A large Body of NEGROES  whom his BRAVERY had repulsed Finally yeilding To their Confidence in his HUMANITY...'
Far Right [RCHM 19]  Henry Duncombe (1788) Inscription in Latin

Other Monuments
This is a list of mainly simple tablet which were photographed or recorded
with some information from the RCHM Dorset Vol II, Pt 1
 01) see above
02) see above
 03) Mary Bond Colson (1849) '... was buried with her parents beneath the altar'  Black and white tablet  similar to Revd J.
 04) see above
05) see above
06) Joshua Churchill (1786) Tablet (N. vestry)
 07) Early 18th century tablet with pilasters, urns and cartouche, Illegible inscription and arms.
 08) see above
 09) see above
10) see above
11) see above
12) see above

13) Mary Shergold (1840) white marble tablet on black surround
14) Alfred Gregory (1848) Aged 18. '...interred in churchyard of All Saints.' White tablet on black backing.
15) see above
16) see above
17) see above
18) see above
19) see above
21) Henry Tooze (1828), Barrack Master at Dorchester 43 years & Susanna (1846) White marble tablet; signed Gregory, Dorch. Also  Mary Honour (1873), wife of their son, John Randolf Tooze (1874) '...Their remains are deposited in a vault in the churchyard adjoining the southern base of the tower...'
22) see above

The below monuments are not in the RCHM list
Some of the photographs above are also not on this list
A) Mary Finch (1882) ' a vault outside, near this tablet...' John Finch (1883) her husband
B) Revd John Morton Colson LLB (1863) '... 41 years rector of Dorchester St Peter...' '...was buried in a vault in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet
C) Ann Catherine Colson (1874) 2nd daughter of Rev TM & M Colson '... buried with her brother in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet similar to Revd J.
D) Elizabeth Dampier (Colson) (1874) '... widow of Revd W England, Rector of Winterbourne Came, and the third daughter of the Rev T M & M Colson...buried with her husband at Came...'  B&W tablet  similar to Revd J.
E)Henry Joseph Moule MA (1904) B&W tablet
A wall brass records that the carved alabaster panel of the reredos was presented by Miss Ashley in memory of her uncle the late Earl of Shaftesbury (1899)
There are also several floor slabs, brasses and indents.

Fifehead Magdelene  -  St Mary Magdelene
O/S Ref: ST 783 216

Above and right (details): Sir Richard Newman Bt (1721), his wife Frances (1730), his son Samwell (1747), his daughters Frances (1775) Barbara (1763) & Elizabeth (1774) . Marbles.
Top: Thomas Newman (1649) & son Richard (1664) RCHM says marble tablet is 17th and the stone surround probably 18th century.
Bottom:  George Davidge (1772), his wife Joan (1759), and children John (17440, Hester (1758) and George (1772)

Frampton - St Mary
O/S Ref: 627 950
Joan (Browne) Cocker (1653) & baby William 
The tomb chest and recess are modern.
Note the shrouded child below the inscription
Left, above and below: Rear Admiral Sir John Browne (1627) & Joan (Portman). The two effigies remain with fragments of the dismantled monument; the tomb chest itself is modern.

Above (detail of next)

John Browne (1750) Note the inscription. Marble

Next Right:
 Elizabeth Ann Sheridan Date illegible


Right and above (detail): Ann Browne (1714). Aged 15. Daughter of Robert & Frances Browne.

Far left: John Browne (1771) Varicoloured marbles  by  John Ford of Bath
Left: Susanna Browne (1790) Daughter of Robert and Frances Browne
Right and above detail: Robert Browne (1772) Varicoloured marbles by John Ford of Bath 
Far Right:
Francis Browne (1740) Buried in St Clement Danes, Westminster, near her daughter Elizabeth (1721) The monument is dated 1751
Below:Robert Browne (1734) This is the inscription only

Above far left: Charles ---naird Sheridan (1847); Caroline Henriette Sheridan (185-); James Colque-- Shridan (186-); Francis John Rogers Sheridan (1877); Maria Marcia Sheridan (1884); Richard Brinsley Sheridan; Helena Charlotte Sheridan (1893); Mary Lothrop Sheridan (1918); Algernon Thomas Brinsley Sheridan (1931). 'At rest by the riverside'. John Lothrop Motley Sheridan (1946); Sophie Florence Lothrop Wavertree Sheridan (1952), Baroness CBE, LGStJ; Algeron Brinsley Sheridan (1962). 'At rest by the stream'. Alice Louisa Sheridan (1962); Vernon Adolphus Sheridan (2003); Algernon Brinsley Sheridan (1997).
Near left:  Frances Johnson (1806) Daughter of Rev John Richards and wife of Francis John . By Westmacott, London
Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1902) by E Fuchs 1902 
Near right:
Unknown - exterior monument 
Far right:
Robert Browne (1757) son of Robert and Frances Browne. Marbles

Many of the photographs on the Dorset pages were supplied by Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade; to whom grateful thanks for her more than helpful contributions. Thank you also to the church authorities at Whitchurch Canonicorum for supplying their photographs and to Ms Penny Barge for the photographs at Minterne Magna. The photographs at Bridport, Dorchester, Mappowder and otherswere taken by the Web Master.
< Home - Index - Page>    <Top of Page>  <Dorset - 2>  <Dorset - 3>  <Dorset - 4>